The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
True. I'm just a little anxious about getting 180 in my A2 core modules.

At AS I got 178/200, if that happens again I'd be 2 UMS OFF AN A*!!!

Keeping in mind A2 is much much harder. But remember, most people get higher after they work hard in C3 and C4. Tbh, I just think the workload will force you to go insane and work way harder than usual. This extra hard work will pay off and you'll get an A* hopefully. Tbh, even if you get an A - you shouldn't be disappointed. I would be slightly if I did but that's because if I'd get an A in A-level Maths, it's almost a guaranteed A/B in Further Maths lol which ruins every chance for a decent university for a Maths degree.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yes I do aqa the A* is the same for them I chalked online it's in the spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you very much :smile:
Talking about maths which has not changed but I think they will set an amount of raw marks needed for the A* like an A* grade boundary for the papers overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 04MR17
I feel your pain.Yes it is relevant; but if you take English Literature for example, the text list is different, meaning for what is meant to be the equivalent unit, you need to study more texts for the A Level in addition to the AS. The exam format is also changed. But fundamentally, you will end up with an A Level and an AS Level in each of the subjects under the new system: essentially one and a half A Levels. So if you take each one separately, in an example where you'd done AS level English Literature, psychology and sociology; you would have the following qualifications if you continued them all through next year:
AS level English Literature,
AS level psychology,
AS level sociology,
A level English Literature,
A level psychology,
A level sociology
That's 6 qualifications in 3 subjects over a two year period.The A Level and the AS are separate qualifications. The AS level is a one year course. The A Level is a two year course. 1+2=3.
They are separate (decoupled) qualifications so this is all you can do.They will need to be entered separately because they are separate (decoupled) qualifications.You don't the exam is different (same name, slightly different content); you may need to learn new stuff.

I am going into year 13, so I know all this, and I take english lit too 😂 I wasn't asking for an answer, merely trying to state my confusion as to why someone would think A levels should take 3 years. Also in year 13 the reading list is exactly the same as year 12, with 4 new texts added on :smile:
The AS qualification you achieve is also pointless once you start year 13 anyway as obviously it is a certification of having completed a course halfway and not the full thing
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bella909
I am going into year 13, so I know all this, and I take english lit too I wasn't asking for an answer, merely trying to state my confusion as to why someone would think A levels should take 3 years. Also in year 13 the reading list is exactly the same as year 12, with 4 new texts added on
I am in the same position as you except luckily for me my Sixth Form have chosen to choose the linear root preferred by the government. Rather than trying to cram 3 years worth of work into 2 years.
Original post by Leah3852
Well done those are amazing results! I don't think hardly anyone got 4 A's at my sixth form.

Thanks - I was pleasantly surprised with my results! Hope you did well too!
Original post by SonicSam
Predicted straight A but achieved BAAA ; biology, chemistry, maths and further maths respectively .

Fkin hell, must blame Stuart Powell man....
Original post by BunnyMidnight
(..)

How come you do so many A-levels?
Does anyone know the last day for OCR remarks
Original post by fayeb1999
Well done with your results! It sounds like you've done well compared to everyone else in your sixth form. I feel the same, quite a few of my friends have not done as well as they would've like with their results (one of them got CEEE and is going to do a course at college instead)
Quite a few people taking demanding subjects like maths/sciences have not done well as they hoped (another friend got an E in maths, despite her dad being a maths teacher!) My school was pretty much a mixed bag of grades, and it's shocking how people who had done so well at GCSE didn't do as well at A level!

Apart from a level geography, I take psychology, history and biology. Got an A in psychology which I'm happy with, a B in geog, a C in history (how I got a C I have no idea) and an E in biology (which I'm really upset about)

Not a lot of people did well in biology (my mate also got an E) and the head of science looked very stressed on results day. I am hoping to carry it into A2 if I am allowed along with geog and psychology. It is my biology teachers decision as to whether I'm allowed to carry on. I think I should, I got an A in the January mocks and get Bs and Cs throughout the year. I was 4 marks off a D so the head of science said they would consider me to carry on, as they do know I work hard (I got nominated and won an endeavour award by my biology teachers and others)

So confused with what to do with my life now. My dad blames the biology grade on bad teaching, which I partly agree with as my main teacher missed a lot of lessons and rushed through the whole chapter on genetics. The papers were horrible though with only two of the topics actually appearing in paper 1 when all of them could appear.

As I said quite a few people look set to drop out of sixth form so it looks like we'll both get more one-to-one with our subject teachers. As for your subjects, your teachers may get a telling off for the grades your classes got (especially the Us in geography!) My geography teachers are not allowing anyone to resit geog1, as they're saying it'll be too much work next year along with the new topics next year.

Which topics are you doing? We're doing world cities, development and globalisation, plate tectonics and either a choice of ecosystems (which I'm secretly hoping for as we covered it at GCSE) or something to do with meteorology (sounds dead hard lol)

Hi, i'm Dawid by the way! Yes, I think my teachers will get told of about the bad grades and I seen the headteacher was very stressed on results day. My geography teacher said he will let us resit because he knows we work out socks off and he was really surprise about the grades we all got.

Which topics have you done for AS? I've done Rivers, Cold Environments, Population and Energy - apparently all of the hardest topics as examiners like to mark these more? I hope I can swap cold environments for coasts as I absolutely hate ice!

As for A2, we're doing world cities, ecosystems and plate tectonics and we are undecided on either paper 4a or 4b.

I know it's going to be a difficult year but I will work my socks off so that I get ABB next year!

MY mum also blames the teaching; she said it's a new school and they don't know what they're doing and said on the next parent's evening - she is going to have a go at my teachers, especially the geography teacher who's part of geog1 I failed!

Well done on your results! I think I am going to be soo lonely this year but because of this I will have more time to study and do well in my second year! Gosh I am happy and we can retake1 :smile:
I achieved ABBB.

Is it realistic to apply to unis asking for AAA with AS grades of ABB??
(Warwick, Exeter, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Cardiff)

I think I'm likely to be predicted A*AB/AAA.
Original post by kiera28
I achieved ABBB.

Is it realistic to apply to unis asking for AAA with AS grades of ABB??
(Warwick, Exeter, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Cardiff)

I think I'm likely to be predicted A*AB/AAA.

It depends what you want to do? from what I know St.Andrews may be difficult, it is very competitive!
Original post by 10studentlife
It depends what you want to do? from what I know St.Andrews may be difficult, it is very competitive!

Thanks for the response. I'll be applying for psychology. Also, will unis take into consideration that the new specs are linear? (And that some AS' won't count towards final grades)
Original post by kiera28
Thanks for the response. I'll be applying for psychology. Also, will unis take into consideration that the new specs are linear? (And that some AS' won't count towards final grades)

Yeh of course! I got the same results of you, I hope I'll get predicted A's.
[QUOTE=dawideksoltysik;67122546]Hi, i'm Dawid by the way! Yes, I think my teachers will get told of about the bad grades and I seen the headteacher was very stressed on results day. My geography teacher said he will let us resit because he knows we work out socks off and he was really surprise about the grades we all got.

Which topics have you done for AS? I've done Rivers, Cold Environments, Population and Energy - apparently all of the hardest topics as examiners like to mark these more? I hope I can swap cold environments for coasts as I absolutely hate ice!

As for A2, we're doing world cities, ecosystems and plate tectonics and we are undecided on either paper 4a or 4b.

I know it's going to be a difficult year but I will work my socks off so that I get ABB next year!

MY mum also blames the teaching; she said it's a new school and they don't know what they're doing and said on the next parent's evening - she is going to have a go at my teachers, especially the geography teacher who's part of geog1 I failed!

Well done on your results! I think I am going to be soo lonely this year but because of this I will have more time to study and do well in my second year! Gosh I am happy and we can retake1 :smile:

Hi I'm Faye lol.
The topics we did were rivers, coasts, population and health and they weren't bad topics really, but I think my teachers were too generous with marks. I was a bit worried about the fact we were doing coasts as we didn't cover it at GCSE but it gets better the more you learn about it. Ask your geography teacher if you could switch to coasts and I'm sure they'll consider your opinion. There's a bit of overlap with rivers but despite being terrible at physical geography at GCSE (I got a B overall but a D in the physical paper) it can't have been too bad. Population was generally ok for me but some questions about the DTM can throw me off and health is a fairly easy topic learning about things I already know a lot about (AIDS, diabetes etc.)

ABB are great grades, what are you thinking of doing once you leave school? Any unis you're looking at? I'm stuck with what to do and don't even know if I want to go university yet. Just going to do my a-levels and then take a gap year and decide then. Have been looking at psychology but the majority of courses want AAA-AAB as they are so competitive. I was also looking at geography which isn't as competitive but I don't know what I would do with a geography degree and I don't want to go into teaching. Other than that, I'm generally open to anything.

I've even been looking at higher apprenticeships but don't know what would be the right choice. Biology was always my main goal to do well in but now I'm apprehensive as to whether I want to do anything with it :s-smilie:
I got BBD in my AS results (the two B's in english literature and sociology and the D in business) but the uni that i am looking at wants AAB for next year. What are my chances of getting in due to the D in business studies. Also I would like to continue down the english/sociology route for degree anyway
Results

Sociology: A / A

Psychology: A / B

English Literature: B/ B

Biology: B / C

Comments and reactions
I was really upset with my results because even though ABBC is good enough to apply to uni, I was expecting more As. In Psychology I had been getting As all year and got the best scores in my class so I don't even know what happened. Biology I knew I hadn't done well in, I messed up the first exam but I wasn't bothered because I know I'm dropping it. English even though a A would have been nice I'm more than happy with a B because I know it isn't my strongest subject compared to sociology and psychology.
Future ambitionsI want to go to Sheffield university to do Korean Studies, and I'm so excited about it but I am hugely worried I won't even get a place due to my lack of a language even though I have been heavily assured that no language is needed. I need ABB to get in, with my predicted grades standing at A*AA, I am really hoping I get an offer.
Results

Biology : School Prediction D / My Prediction E / Achieved E

Chemistry : School Prediction E / My Prediction D / Achieved D

Maths: School Prediction B / My Prediction B / Achieved C

History: School Prediction C / My Prediction D / Achieved B

Comments and reactions : So dissapointed over Biology as my school aren't letting me carry it on to Year 13 but its not like it was unexpected (dunno whether it's worth a re-mark). The one I hate the most is the one I suprisingly scored best in but I really don't want to do it Year 13 (I have no choice anymore so may as well embrace it)

Future ambitions: Wanted to do Optometrey or Biomedical Science at Manchester or Aston but that dream is starting to look really unrealistic. I need a serious rethink lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Results
H&SC - achieved B / predicted D
Textiles - achieved B / predicted D
retaken gcse maths earlier on in the year - achieved C/ predicted C

Comments and Reactions
head of social studies teacher came up to me and said they were really proud because my health and social care exam result was an A, and it turned out I was one of the top 0.5% scorers in the country who'd got that in the exam , VERY pleased with the B grades, because I was predicted D's.

Future Ambitions
to become a chef or baker or the next Jamie Oliver (just kidding), going to do a btec type course despite doing better than I thought I would in my as levels
Reply 639
Original post by NNB_Herath
Did anyone get all A's for ALL UNITS ( if so how many ) ??

Yeah, I did 7 units.

Quick Reply

Latest