The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tesa
I'm in a house with about 12 people..I hope there's more than one bathroom! :biggrin:
I am really excited too. I spend all day looking up uni stuff. York is lovely..we are very lucky to study in this city. :smile:

There are so many great museums and beautiful old streets, we will be in our element.
University of York
York
Reply 41
Thought I'd just but in because of what's been said. From what I understand you often won't have lectures in your department and can even have lectures on both campuses in any subject so you rooms proximity to your department makes no difference really. Only for late walks home from a society meeting which is often on hes west.
Reply 42
Original post by Aph
Thought I'd just but in because of what's been said. From what I understand you often won't have lectures in your department and can even have lectures on both campuses in any subject so you rooms proximity to your department makes no difference really. Only for late walks home from a society meeting which is often on hes west.

Oh okay thanks! I was worrying there for a minute about being in Halifax. I can relax now :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by At1045
There are so many great museums and beautiful old streets, we will be in our element.

I know! I've always wanted to study in a historical city. Definitely in our element :smile:
Original post by tesa
I'm in a house with about 12 people..I hope there's more than one bathroom! :biggrin:
I am really excited too. I spend all day looking up uni stuff. York is lovely..we are very lucky to study in this city. :smile:

According to the accommodation website there will be 2 toilets in your flat, but hopefully it won't get too busy.

A random but important note - apparently toilet paper is provided but soap isn't, so be aware of that when packing!
Reply 45
Original post by doctorwhofan98
According to the accommodation website there will be 2 toilets in your flat, but hopefully it won't get too busy.

A random but important note - apparently toilet paper is provided but soap isn't, so be aware of that when packing!

Thanks for that. You've done your research better than I have. I'll remember to bring soap.
Reply 46

We get free toilet roll?! I was looking at getting a pack of 16 before moving in!!!
Original post by Aph
We get free toilet roll?! I was looking at getting a pack of 16 before moving in!!!

Yep, definitely for Constantine shared and I'm certain it's for other colleges too. But bring a lot of soap as other people might forget, and it would end up being an unhygienic few days if everyone didn't have soap. I'm bringing 5 bottles just in case all are necessary!
Reply 48
Yep, definitely for Constantine shared and I'm certain it's for other colleges too. But bring a lot of soap as other people might forget, and it would end up being an unhygienic few days if everyone didn't have soap. I'm bringing 5 bottles just in case all are necessary!

5 bottles?! Well at least I can cross toilet roll off of my need to get list and that'll same me some money.
I'm tempted to bring an iron but I can't help but feel that if everyone brings an iron then it's chaos and if no one brings an iron it isn't the end of the world.
Reply 49
Original post by Aph
5 bottles?! Well at least I can cross toilet roll off of my need to get list and that'll same me some money.
I'm tempted to bring an iron but I can't help but feel that if everyone brings an iron then it's chaos and if no one brings an iron it isn't the end of the world.

Oh Aph! How did AEA go, you were in that thread too right? Free toilet paper is like the best thing aha. I think it couldn't hurt to bring an iron, at the worst, it'll take little place in your room even if eveyone else brings one and you use it, whereas if no one brings one you then need to buy one or something you know?
Reply 50
Original post by ChanE
Oh Aph! How did AEA go, you were in that thread too right? Free toilet paper is like the best thing aha. I think it couldn't hurt to bring an iron, at the worst, it'll take little place in your room even if eveyone else brings one and you use it, whereas if no one brings one you then need to buy one or something you know?

Yeah, I got a distinction:smile:
Well what I'm thinking is that I'd have to go out and get one whereas if no one has one we get a flat iron which would be cheaper...
Reply 51
Original post by Aph
Yeah, I got a distinction:smile:
Well what I'm thinking is that I'd have to go out and get one whereas if no one has one we get a flat iron which would be cheaper...

Ah, good job! That's true, I think I have a spare one in my house somewhere that never gets used so I suppose even if it gets used as a flat iron I won't mind too much and it's the cheapest options you know?
Original post by Aph

5 bottles is enough for each of the toilets and one for my room - it's ready for the worst-case scenario! Though I've asked people to bring soap in the group chat for my flat, and they too didn't know about the provided toilet paper; York needs to be clearer on this kind of thing, or everyone will turn up with lots of toilet paper and no soap.

I'm not bothering with an iron, though, as with a printer, I can get it if necessary later in the year.
Reply 53
5 bottles is enough for each of the toilets and one for my room - it's ready for the worst-case scenario! Though I've asked people to bring soap in the group chat for my flat, and they too didn't know about the provided toilet paper; York needs to be clearer on this kind of thing, or everyone will turn up with lots of toilet paper and no soap.

I'm not bothering with an iron, though, as with a printer, I can get it if necessary later in the year.

Oh I've got a printer. And how did you find your flat mates already?! On the Facebook groups?
Reply 54
Original post by Aph
Oh I've got a printer. And how did you find your flat mates already?! On the Facebook groups?

Is there a group chat or anything?
Reply 55
Original post by At1045
Is there a group chat or anything?

When you find out what college you are in, you will be sent an email by the head of your college who will give you a link to the official facebook page of your college and even the facebook page of the block/part of the college you will be living in. From there you can find out who will be living in your flat and begin a group chat with them. Well, that's how it worked for me anyway.
Original post by Aph

Yep, the Facebook groups have been really useful! I've found three people so far so quite a few to go but it's great knowing them already.
Reply 57
Original post by tesa
When you find out what college you are in, you will be sent an email by the head of your college who will give you a link to the official facebook page of your college and even the facebook page of the block/part of the college you will be living in. From there you can find out who will be living in your flat and begin a group chat with them. Well, that's how it worked for me anyway.
i didn't get such an email from mine.

Yep, the Facebook groups have been really useful! I've found three people so far so quite a few to go but it's great knowing them already.

I haven't found any so far. The groups seem to be dead mostly.
Original post by Aph
i didn't get such an email from mine.

I haven't found any so far. The groups seem to be dead mostly.

The block C group seems dead but my post in that led to people messaging me, so it might work out if you post in it - nothing to lose really. And yeah, I also didn't get an email like that - I don't think Constantine has actually sent me anything!
Reply 59
The block C group seems dead but my post in that led to people messaging me, so it might work out if you post in it - nothing to lose really. And yeah, I also didn't get an email like that - I don't think Constantine has actually sent me anything!

I expect most colleges will send out a mass e-mail early September once most accommodation has been confirmed.

Quick Reply

Latest