The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by davidguettafan
Isn't it crazy to believe in someone that doesn't exist though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't it crazy to kill your family?

Some people still do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inhuman
Thinking something doesn't make it so. I thought we already addressed that with the whole God issue. Something isn't logical just because you want it to be.

It makes no sense because you don't want to hear it. You said billions of people believe in God but not billions of people believe in unicorns so it's not the same thing. What my comment means is that no matter how many people believe in something, it doesn't make it any more true than something else for which there is no evidence either.

I can perfectly well live with that fact, my gf is catholic. What I can't live with is that religions spread their ideology, pretend they are right like you are doing here, delude others, cause so much harm in the world, think they are superior (and yes, they do, it doesn't matter that you personally and many others don't, because fact is many religions have something like hell and heaven where non-believers are doomed), etc. etc. etc. And no, you cannot accept that. If you could accept it you wouldn't be making logically flawed arguments trying to argue for God. I have met many people who at the end of the day admit it is just that - blind faith, but they are ok with that. And that I can live with. But that is not what you or the other poster are doing here. You are trying to somehow justify it with logic and reasoning, where there are none.

Have a nice day, if you still refuse to see beyond your own bias then yes, you have "defeated" me. :congrats:

Absolute rubbish of a first point, my claims were logical.*

''It doesn't make it anymore true'' - stop there. Please point towards where I said it did? You are the one who is preaching one thing but doing another. Your claim isn't anymore true than mine either. I said that you can disagree in my first response to you.*

Ah, so here's the real issue. Yes, perhaps some of them do.. But how about the majority? Why do they have to go through all of this from you, and receive such treatment when they're pretty peaceful normal people. Hey, if you wanna target those people then TSR isn't the place to be doing it. We're just your average students trying to live life our own way. If you really have an issue then step outside and head to the local extremist mosque or whatever.*

:lol: I can't accept it? You don't even know me. I have plenty of friends who don't believe in God, we get along well with no issues. You know why? Because they aren't rude and don't try to disrespect my belief. There are certain ways to go about doing things. My points had sufficient logic, you just chose not to see it.
Reply 62
Original post by SubZero~
People feel enlightened by the idea of a greater being. By the way, you can't really say that there is no evidence for God and question why people believe in God. If there is no evidence for the Big Bang, why do people follow it? Science cannot disprove God's existence.

I'm a fan coz it's hilarious.
Original post by TSR-Exam
Thank you for accepting defeat. Have a good day. :h:

You are totally illogical
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence
Original post by inhuman
I'm a fan coz it's hilarious.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

Read. The Big Bang is only a theory and has not been proven. It's merely an idea, like the concept of God.
Reply 66
Absolute rubbish of a first point, my claims were logical.*

''It doesn't make it anymore true'' - stop there. Please point towards where I said it did? You are the one who is preaching one thing but doing another. Your claim isn't anymore true than mine either. I said that you can disagree in my first response to you.*

Ah, so here's the real issue. Yes, perhaps some of them do.. But how about the majority? Why do they have to go through all of this from you, and receive such treatment when they're pretty peaceful normal people. Hey, if you wanna target those people then TSR isn't the place to be doing it. We're just your average students trying to live life our own way. If you really have an issue then step outside and head to the local extremist mosque or whatever.*

:lol: I can't accept it? You don't even know me. I have plenty of friends who don't believe in God, we get along well with no issues. You know why? Because they aren't rude and don't try to disrespect my belief. There are certain ways to go about doing things. My points had sufficient logic, you just chose not to see it.

This is a debate forum. If you try to make illogical assertions pretending they are logical, I will destroy your argument. Why, it's fun. If you don't like it, don't come to a debate forum or better yet do, and learn, but don't make fallacious and illogical statements.
Like your last paragraph. I supposedly don't know you, and yet you know me? Because you are so much better at reading people from their posts than I am? Do you not see how hypocritical you are?
Reply 67

Read. The Big Bang is only a theory and has not been proven. It's merely an idea, like the concept of God.

And here I thought you were talking about TBBT... :/
Reply 68
Original post by HopelessMedic

Very true sir. Well spotted. Let me go look for a unicorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments.[1][2]Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.[3]

So let's not pretend that the magical sky daddy is in the same category as scientific theories please.
Original post by inhuman
This is a debate forum. If you try to make illogical assertions pretending they are logical, I will destroy your argument. Why, it's fun. If you don't like it, don't come to a debate forum or better yet do, and learn, but don't make fallacious and illogical statements.
Like your last paragraph. I supposedly don't know you, and yet you know me? Because you are so much better at reading people from their posts than I am? Do you not see how hypocritical you are?

I wasn't 'pretending'. My points stand, and you know they do which is why you pick and choose what to respond to. That's weak lol. I have no issues with debate, it's how you go about saying things. I'd love to see you in a professional atmosphere talking the way you do and see if you get any credibility. That is the only reason I decided to quote you. No, this is the first altercation I've ever had with someone on here, for the reason mentioned above. I have seen you say things countless times, therefore logic dictates I would have a better understanding of you and your views since I have more available for me to see. Or would you like to dispute that too?
People feel enlightened by the idea of a greater being. By the way, you can't really say that there is no evidence for God and question why people believe in God. If there is no evidence for the Big Bang, why do people follow it? Science cannot disprove God's existence.

Why is it the job of science to disprove a baseless fairy tale that has no more evidence behind it than beings such as superman or the hulk?

Do you expect scientists to explore every cubic cm of the entire universe to prove that the comic book hulk is not hiding on some random planet? If not, why do you expect something similar for god?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
I wasn't 'pretending'. My points stand, and you know they do which is why you pick and choose what to respond to. That's weak lol. I have no issues with debate, it's how you go about saying things. I'd love to see you in a professional atmosphere talking the way you do and see if you get any credibility. That is the only reason I decided to quote you. No, this is the first altercation I've ever had with someone on here, for the reason mentioned above. I have seen you say things countless times, therefore logic dictates I would have a better understanding of you and your views since I have more available for me to see. Or would you like to dispute that too?

Have you heard of Milo? He is a lot "worse" if you want, than me and yet he is super successful.

Your points don't stand. Like the one you made just now, yeah maybe you saw more of my posts and yet in the very same paragraph where you make the argument "I know you better because I saw more posts" you admit that all you saw me post are things "countless times" i.e. see my posts in one thread, see them in all threads. Hence the fact you have seen more of my posts is completely irrelevant.

And yes, maybe it is weakness, but not the type you think. I am just too tired to respond to all your wrong statements. There is another poster on here who uses the exact same tactic, say a load of nonsense over and over and at some point it's like talking to a brick wall and I lose patience. So as I said above, if that's what you wanted, you "defeated" me, well done. In fact, I would not be surprised if this is you and one of your alternate accounts that you like talking about.
Reply 73
Original post by SuperHuman98
Also wouldn't having evidence of a God defeat the whole purpose of having a God?

What type of evidence would we even have?? A picture??

The problem is that the statement "there is a God" in itself cannot be disproved. This is not a strength with religions, it is a weakness. I could claim that there is some sort of Holy Goat on a grass plane, invisible to us but orbiting the Earth, and that whenever the Holy Goat eats a piece of grass, a child in Africa dies. These claims cannot be shown to be false, because the Holy Goat is invisible to us and undetectable. Nothing is worthwhile unless it has the potential to be shown to be incorrect. The concept of faith in itself is ridiculous. Luckily, most people cherry-pick the good lines from the Bible and the Quran to live good lives. However this does not address the irrational nature of faith in itself.

Of course there is no evidence for God - the attributes assigned to him by people in the past allow for there to be no evidence of his existence.

As to why people want there to be a God: a subconscious attempt to solve the problems of death and nihilism.

While it would be a bit unlucky for the people following the other 4,199 religions, hopefully at least one of the 4,200 are correct.

https://youtu.be/KYAhlz7rnPU
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
Have you heard of Milo? He is a lot "worse" if you want, than me and yet he is super successful.

Your points don't stand. Like the one you made just now, yeah maybe you saw more of my posts and yet in the very same paragraph where you make the argument "I know you better because I saw more posts" you admit that all you saw me post are things "countless times" i.e. see my posts in one thread, see them in all threads. Hence the fact you have seen more of my posts is completely irrelevant.

And yes, maybe it is weakness, but not the type you think. I am just too tired to respond to all your wrong statements. There is another poster on here who uses the exact same tactic, say a load of nonsense over and over and at some point it's like talking to a brick wall and I lose patience. So as I said above, if that's what you wanted, you "defeated" me, well done. In fact, I would not be surprised if this is you and one of your alternate accounts that you like talking about.

Please, that's absolutely rubbish lmao. You know very well what I said is true. I have seen you post on matters like these several times, therefore I know your position and where you stand, a lot more than you know mine. Just don't even bother arguing against this because it's as logical as it gets. :rofl:

Yes of course, that's the easy way out anyway. I'm not sure what poster you're referring to, but I assure you I'm not him/her. My account stands from 2012. Anyway I've got to go. Perhaps you'll entertain me later. :smile:*
Original post by RobML
There's no evidence I don't shape shift into a tomato when no one's looking

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get caught on CCTV whenever you go to the shops.
Reply 76

Please, that's absolutely rubbish lmao. You know very well what I said is true. I have seen you post on matters like these several times, therefore I know your position and where you stand, a lot more than you know mine. Just don't even bother arguing against this because it's as logical as it gets. :rofl:

Yes of course, that's the easy way out anyway. I'm not sure what poster you're referring to, but I assure you I'm not him/her. My account stands from 2012. Anyway I've got to go. Perhaps you'll entertain me later. :smile:*

You are getting more and more flustered. Your arguments have boiled down to "you know I am right".

If you aren't a troll, then you are one very sad individual. Then again a troll is pretty sad, too. So, have a nice life.
Original post by HopelessMedic

I'd beg to differ. I'll say, for all intensive purposes, that there is a tribe of invisible unicorns under my desk. There is no evidence that it's there, but that doesn't mean it's not there, right? Of course it does, because it defies all logic.

I'll refer to an example, I've heard. If something, like a rhino charged through your house, you would expect a shed of evidence. If you found no evidence, you would naturally start questioning that this rhino ever existed. People, for some reason, don't apply this logic to a supernatural being.

It's not up to science to disprove that a God exists, because it cannot be done. No-one can prove that I don't have an invisible unicorn as a pet. It's up to religion to prove that their God exists.

I applaud when people use religion to do good, but there is a lot of questionable, and disgusting, content that is simply overlooked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
It's always very strange to me that people still believe to God now that the origins or the world and life have been explained.
Reply 79
Original post by FrenchUnicorn

Why would you be bothered by what people think if it does not cause you any harm..

You don't have to be personally affected by religion to be against it.

I see that religion causes terrific distress around the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending