The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The worst thing about going to Muslim countries when I've visited are those horrid moans that come from the speakers near mosques... I'm just being honest... There's nothing I like less than people who try to evangelise others... 21st century Britain should be aiming to become a secular state instead :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
Then please move to Saudi Arabia.

If she lives in a Muslim area, then honestly I don't see the problem of letting them broadcast the adhan there. We have religious freedom in this country, Saudi Arabia does not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by Pinkberry_y
And we certainly aren't a Muslim country either to be having call out prayers 5 times a day here

The petition says 3 times a day. They already do that in East London Mosque and is very loud. If they are still doing it doesn't that mean the government has already allowed it?
Original post by Trapz99
If she lives in a Muslim area, then honestly I don't see the problem of letting them broadcast the adhan there. We have religious freedom in this country, Saudi Arabia does not.

What about the non-Muslims in that area? What about their freedom to not have to hear this?

What about Christian freedom? There are multiple examples of things regarding Christianity, e.g. Christmas, have been put down because of Muslims feeling offended.
interesting
Reply 245
No. Islam is fundamentally at odds with the values of our society. They have the freedom to practice their religion, but everyone else has the freedom not to hear them doing so.

If they want a call to prayer, I'd advise them to move to an Islamic country.
Reply 246
Original post by MMM1997
The petition says 3 times a day. They already do that in East London Mosque and is very loud. If they are still doing it doesn't that mean the government has already allowed it?

I truly have lost all hope for East London...
Original post by Trapz99

This will just further segregation. Do you think any non-muslim would want to move in a area where English is the minority language, streets are full of asian bazaar style shops and have double digit mosques now blasting out Arabic calls to prayer?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
The issue here above all else is amplification.

Muslims do not need for any reason to hear the call to prayer and the petition gives the game away on that by excluding calls at anti-social times.

Few people would complain if a muezzin went to the top of a tall tower and made the call with his own unamplified voice 5 times a day. It would be seen as quaint.

Bell ringing is not comparable because it is part of the social history of this country. No-one would allow churches or anyone else to introduce a new method of making regular loud noises.

The reason for this proposal is to extend the reach of political Islam. It is no different to the 19th century innovation of church congregations parading through towns; to show their numerical strength and power in comparison with rival denominations.

Completely agree. Even then having someone shouting the call to prayer at anti social times would also be unwelcome. bellin ringing can also be restricted if considered a nuiscance.
Original post by inhuman
What's up sexy boi? Wanna get naughty with me?

HAnwar's a girl :laugh:
Original post by inhuman
What's up sexy boi? Wanna get naughty with me?

What in the world?
Original post by inhuman
What about the non-Muslims in that area? What about their freedom to not have to hear this?

What about Christian freedom? There are multiple examples of things regarding Christianity, e.g. Christmas, have been put down because of Muslims feeling offended.

Well as a Christian, I do think it's important to ring church bells and spread the Gospel without being persecuted for it, if that's what you're asking.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
HAnwar's a girl :laugh:

Even better, I am more into girls anyway.

But alas, she has ignored my post :/ so sad
Original post by Trapz99
Well as a Christian, I do think it's important to ring church bells and spread the Gospel without being persecuted for it, if that's what you're asking.

The first part I agree with. I don't like it but it is part of our culture and it has a rather nice ring to it.

The second part, what does that mean? Would you feel persecuted if I spread the opposite of what you are doing?
Original post by Vividly clear
What in the world?

:biggrin:

Not your thing?
Why does anyone need church bells or hollering at the top of their voices to call their faithful to prayer or spread their message? It's totally unecessary.
If people want to follow a religion, fine. It doesn't mean the rest of us want to hear about it.
Original post by inhuman
The first part I agree with. I don't like it but it is part of our culture and it has a rather nice ring to it.

The second part, what does that mean? Would you feel persecuted if I spread the opposite of what you are doing?

I'd feel persecuted if I wasn't able to spread the word of God freely in every place in Britain. In some Muslim areas, Christians spreading the Gospel get abused.
As a practicing muslim I wouldn't sign this because muslims make up a small fraction of the british population so therefore it would be unfair to other religions who would have to listen to it.
Original post by Trapz99
I'd feel persecuted if I wasn't able to spread the word of God freely in every place in Britain. In some Muslim areas, Christians spreading the Gospel get abused.

So you are saying I should also be free to spread atheism and educate people against the Church and against Islam?
Original post by inhuman
So you are saying I should also be free to spread atheism and educate people against the Church and against Islam?

If you really want to do that, then I guess you should have that right to choose to do so.