The Student Room Group

Would a 2:1 from UofB be worth less than one from UofE?

(For Computer Science and Philosophy).
I'm trying to work out whether there is a discernible difference beween the two and whether it manifests in this manner.
Natioanlly UofB ranks more highly but UofE ranks far higher internationally.
Original post by jsjsjs464646
(For Computer Science and Philosophy).
I'm trying to work out whether there is a discernible difference beween the two and whether it manifests in this manner.
Natioanlly UofB ranks more highly but UofE ranks far higher internationally.

What is "UofB" and what is "UofE"?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
What is "UofB" and what is "UofE"?

University of Birmingham and University of Eidnburgh, respectively.
University of Birmingham and University of Eidnburgh, respectively.

Both are good universities. The Edinburgh degree being a year longer would be something to take into account. Have you visited both cities?
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Both are good universities. The Edinburgh degree being a year longer would be something to take into account. Have you visited both cities?

Would that increase it's value (the fact that Edinburgh's is a year longer)? I'd be doing a joint honours Master's with an international year at Bham though.
Live in Bham and don't especially like it. Edinburgh looks fantastic but doesn't have the exact programme I'm interested in, only a few modules in years one and two so I'm really torn.
Would that increase it's value (the fact that Edinburgh's is a year longer)? I'd be doing a joint honours Master's with an international year at Bham though.

No, all Scottish degrees are a year longer as they are designed to be started a year earlier than their English and Welsh counterparts.

Live in Bham and don't especially like it. Edinburgh looks fantastic but doesn't have the exact programme I'm interested in, only a few modules in years one and two so I'm really torn.

For a lot of people it can definitely be a good experience to move away for university, although if Edinburgh doesn't have the exact programme you're looking for, maybe it's also worth looking at other universities too?
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
No, all Scottish degrees are a year longer as they are designed to be started a year earlier than their English and Welsh counterparts.

For a lot of people it can definitely be a good experience to move away for university, although if Edinburgh doesn't have the exact programme you're looking for, maybe it's also worth looking at other universities too?

Bham is the only one that does it with the flexibility that I'm looking for. Got rejected from the only other place that does it (my firm).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending