The Student Room Group

bad a level grades, will my future be ruined?

so i got BBDD but still got a place at my firm uni. i'm going to an ex poly, uwe, but i feel like i wont get anywhere with my degree due to my poor a2s. I got a B in my epq and sociology. The Ds were in psychology and economics. ive never been so disappointed in myself. I just feel awful bc i wanted to find a place in clearing with UoB but i did poorly and sociology/psychology werent available anyway.

i know after undergrad, i want to do masters and eventually a phd but will i make it due to my poor a levels and the fact im going to an ex poly? and are my graduate prospects any good?
Reply 1
Your post grad options will be based on performance at undergraduate. When I applied to uni last year..officially I had 3 as levels (bdd) and my highest completed qualification was level 3. I got an offer based on the modules I completed at open university.

When I apply to post grad they will be looking at my work/life experience and my undergrad grad to see if I could handle the academic rigour of a post grad course.

If you've got a place to study, don't worry. Work hard and reap the rewards of uni.
Reply 2
Original post by ~Tara~
Your post grad options will be based on performance at undergraduate. When I applied to uni last year..officially I had 3 as levels (bdd) and my highest completed qualification was level 3. I got an offer based on the modules I completed at open university.

When I apply to post grad they will be looking at my work/life experience and my undergrad grad to see if I could handle the academic rigour of a post grad course.

If you've got a place to study, don't worry. Work hard and reap the rewards of uni.

thank you so much for this, i feel better about my prospects and i'm starting to see a future for myself!
Original post by castielle
so i got BBDD but still got a place at my firm uni. i'm going to an ex poly, uwe, but i feel like i wont get anywhere with my degree due to my poor a2s. I got a B in my epq and sociology. The Ds were in psychology and economics. ive never been so disappointed in myself. I just feel awful bc i wanted to find a place in clearing with UoB but i did poorly and sociology/psychology werent available anyway.

i know after undergrad, i want to do masters and eventually a phd but will i make it due to my poor a levels and the fact im going to an ex poly? and are my graduate prospects any good?

I got BCD in my A-Levels 4 years ago at college, I didn't make it into my firm or insurance choice and went through clearing.

Like you the university I went to was an ex-poly, I don't think this hindered my graduate prospects at all!

I've just graduated with a integrated masters in chemistry, 1st with honours. So I think it's just about how you apply yourself at uni, if you work hard you allow yourself better prospects as a graduate.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lostox
I got BCD in my A-Levels 4 years ago at college, I didn't make it into my firm or insurance choice and went through clearing.

Like you the university I went to was an ex-poly, I don't think this hindered my graduate prospects at all!

I've just graduated with a integrated masters in chemistry, 1st with honours. So I think it's just about how you apply yourself at uni, if you work hard you allow yourself better prospects as a graduate.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your time at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you and well done on your first!!!!! im aiming for a 1st as I really want to do clinical psychology! your kind words have helped, thanks so much :smile:

You go into your firm so why are you considering somewhere in clearing?

If you wnat to go somewhere better then retake. If you wnat to do a masters or PHD then its performance on your degree that will matter and whether you cna find the funding.
thank you and well done on your first!!!!! im aiming for a 1st as I really want to do clinical psychology! your kind words have helped, thanks so much :smile:

Thank you :smile:

If you work hard for the duration of your course there will be nothing stopping you from getting a first. Good luck and enjoy your time at uni, it will go by so quickly.

You're very welcome!

As the others have said, 95% of your post-university options are determined by your degree classification (some avenues will look at your A-levels, I've come across one so far - in Psychology at least). If you get a 2:1, then you'll be on solid ground.

I noticed in your first post you mentioned doing a PhD and here you mentioned doing Clinical Psychology. Are you aiming to become a practicing Psychologist, or pursue research? To become chartered to practice you have to do a doctorate (not PhD), such as the DClinPsy (each discipline has its own doctorate/route). A PhD will only enable you to pursue a research/academic career.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You go into your firm so why are you considering somewhere in clearing?

If you wnat to go somewhere better then retake. If you wnat to do a masters or PHD then its performance on your degree that will matter and whether you cna find the funding.

just to look for a uni with a better reputation. ive already repeated year 12 so i dont think i can repeat again and i dont want to as 3 years of a levels is enough. thank you, hopefully uni will be easier than a levels were.
Reply 9
Original post by _Sinnie_
As the others have said, 95% of your post-university options are determined by your degree classification (some avenues will look at your A-levels, I've come across one so far - in Psychology at least). If you get a 2:1, then you'll be on solid ground.

I noticed in your first post you mentioned doing a PhD and here you mentioned doing Clinical Psychology. Are you aiming to become a practicing Psychologist, or pursue research? To become chartered to practice you have to do a doctorate (not PhD), such as the DClinPsy (each discipline has its own doctorate/route). A PhD will only enable you to pursue a research/academic career.

okay thank you! honestly, im not sure right now but all i know is that i want to do postgrad. Possibly DClinPsy but not 100% sure just yet. did you do psychology? what are graduate jobs looking for?
just to look for a uni with a better reputation. ive already repeated year 12 so i dont think i can repeat again and i dont want to as 3 years of a levels is enough. thank you, hopefully uni will be easier than a levels were.

If not already mentioned have you thought about doing a degree course with a foundation year? That would get you into a better uni.

Otherwise get the best degree you can or if similar, then do well in your first year and you can seek a transfer.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
If not already mentioned have you thought about doing a degree course with a foundation year? That would get you into a better uni.

Otherwise get the best degree you can or if similar, then do well in your first year and you can seek a transfer.

if i dont enjoy my uni, i will try transferring but thank you! im not doing a foundation year, but i cant see any clearing with one at better unis
if i dont enjoy my uni, i will try transferring but thank you! im not doing a foundation year, but i cant see any clearing with one at better unis

For most situations its class of degree that is the most important.

Honestly, when you're applying for postgrad, a-levels don't really matter. I got pretty poor a levels too, I got 2 a levels (A and C) and 2 different AS levels (BD) and an A in EPQ. Because I didn't have 3 a levels, no Russel group would touch me for undergrad, so I went to an ex poly too. The course was perfect and I loved my undergrad. because I loved it so much, I studied really hard and came out with a 1:1. In September I'll be starting a masters course at the University of Sheffield. They didn't even ask about my a-level grades. What they wanted to know was how well I did in my UG studies and why I wanted to do a masters in my field, and why I thought Sheffield was a good choice for me. I got an offer in less than a week. If they look down on you just because your bachelors was from an ex poly, they aren't worth your time anyway! A 1:1 is still a 1:1 at the end of the day... just make sure that you're absolutely in love with your course, regardless of where you study it. After my masters I'm also hoping to do a PhD, so I've been working my butt off the last 4 years. Basically, if you want it enough, your A-level results won't stop you. We can do this! :smile:
Reply 14
revisiting this as i have now finished uni and received my final marks! i'm a first class graduate!!! i did a sandwich year and have so much great work experience behind me and had a great uni experience!! we love 2 the growth!!
I can understand that
I got BCD In my a levels (was hoping to get a few grades higher) but still I got accepted at Cardiff 😁
I think and hope that universities only care about ones grade(s)/performance during the degree

Quick Reply

Latest