The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jweo
Any thoughts on what maths we should be doing in the coming weeks before we arrive to be prepared for the tripos (more STEP? BMO? nothing? example sheets?)

You'll be sent a reading list but take some time to relax and get ready!
How much stuff is normal to take to cambridge? I thought 2 suitcases(reasonably large) and a backpack would suffice but looking through Google searches it looks like I greatly underestimated it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 124375
How much stuff is normal to take to cambridge? I thought 2 suitcases(reasonably large) and a backpack would suffice but looking through Google searches it looks like I greatly underestimated it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'd all depend on individual, but with most colleges you are expected to bring your beddings (duvet, pillow, bed linens) which is the bulkiest thing you'll have to take/bring back home at the beginning/end of every term. Some colleges provide a pillow (if you don't mind using one that's been used by countless students for many years) and bed linens (often with extra charge that includes laundry cost usually every other week). All colleges have enough duvets/pillows to rent it to internationals and if they have some extra stock home students can borrow it. (With extra charge usually). I seem to remember there was one college that provide all beddings to all students, but I'm not 100% sure and can't remember which one it might be....

Also, you'll need to bring your own pot/pans & utensils and a set of basic tableware & cutleries, unless you're completely sure you won't prepare any meal yourself or planning to buy them in Cambridge. Even if you buy them in Cambridge, you'll probably have to take them home at the end of term and bring them back to Cambridge when a new term starts. Which goes to other stuff,too. You can be minimalist in taking stuff to Cambridge this autumn and buy what you need in Cambridge but you have to think of bring them back at the end if term as you're required to empty your room for holiday at most colleges.

Edit: just as a reference.....
We drove M11 to take our daughter and her stuff to Cambridge for three years and we could often tell which cars are heading to the university as we could see the back seats of their car is packed with full of stuff and often with a bicycle tied on the roof or the back of car. and a student-looking young person sitting in a passenger seat. :wink:
Some colleges offer some storage space for holiday period but it's usually very limited and never big enough to leave most of stuff during holiday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3763
Original post by Medic_12345
Exactly, refresh game is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

still nothing?
Original post by jweo
still nothing?

Still nothing ;( you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3765
Original post by Medic_12345
Still nothing ;( you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

same :/ I thought it'd update by today. But it's my birthday (!!!) so I'm gonna stop this obsessive refreshing :smile:
Original post by jweo
same :/ I thought it'd update by today. But it's my birthday (!!!) so I'm gonna stop this obsessive refreshing :smile:

Lol, happy birthday!!! Have a great day; hopefully it'll update soon x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Savage.
2 savage for me 2 handle.
I hope you got the handle joke, i just pissed myself laughing about it.
TBH. I might just stay at home. Probably wont have to travel as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 savage 4 me 2 handle ftfy
If you've been pooled, track may take some time to update. If you've heard you're in, then stop worrying and enjoy the rest of summer!
Reply 3769
Original post by jneill
You don't have to.

But there are benefits (cheap overdraft, etc) and you can have more than one current account...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey jneill I had a question, do you know if there's a deadline for withdrawing from any UCAS offers (Durham, specifically)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
Hey jneill I had a question, do you know if there's a deadline for withdrawing from any UCAS offers (Durham, specifically)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No sorry I don't. I *think* you can do it any time before term starts. But just be careful you don't sign any accommodation contracts you can't back out of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanna buy a new laptop.
What type of discounts are there?
Its an Apple one btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3772
Original post by jneill
No sorry I don't. I *think* you can do it any time before term starts. But just be careful you don't sign any accommodation contracts you can't back out of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right thanks 😊, I don't think I've sorted any sort of accommodation yet so that's good
I wanna buy a new laptop.
What type of discounts are there?
Its an Apple one btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.ucs.cam.ac.uk/support/mac-support
(but I think you need a Raven account for that to work)

or
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/campaigns/education_pricing
(via Unidays)
(edited 7 years ago)
When do we get our Raven and email accounts sorted is it in freshers week or before?

Just add to my earlier post......
We found large plastic crates with lid much more useful and easier to pack things than suitcases, especially when transporting them in a car. You can get these quite cheaply from any big DIY stores, like b&Q, Himebase, etc.
Also I've seen many students/parents using a large carrier bags from IKEA like this. It's large, light, very strong and cheap.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/17228340/

Also, you may want to check with your college if they allow you to leave your bike over holidays or not as, if they don't, you need to think of how to transport if every term.
Original post by jneill

Ah!
Both require raven(setting up Unidays requires that or a uniadress).
When do we get them btw?(if you know ofcourse?)
Thanks for all the help btw.
Discount is 10% right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah!
Discount is 10% right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno when you get Raven sorry. A current student or @vincrows will know.

(And yes I think it might be a little more (or less) discount depending on the product - the unidays thing is new, you used to be able to do it direct through the Apple site and it was quite easy to, er, bypass the institution email requirement that way... :wink:
Ah!
Discount is 10% right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by jneill
Dunno when you get Raven sorry. A current student or @vincrows will know.

(And yes I think it might be a little more (or less) discount depending on the product - the unidays thing is new, you used to be able to do it direct through the Apple site and it was quite easy to, er, bypass the institution email requirement that way... :wink:

Lol actually was trying to recall when it was my daughter got Raven account but can't remember exactly when......
I *think*' it was at the beginning of the fresher's week or just before she went to the college, definitely well after she received a welcome pack by post and send back some forms which was a part of preparation process to formerly become a member of college. Until these formality is done (on I its way to completion), I don't think you'll gain access to Raven.......if I remember correctly.........
Original post by vincrows
Lol actually was trying to recall when it was my daughter got Raven account but can't remember exactly when......
I *think*' it was at the beginning of the fresher's week or just before she went to the college, definitely well after she received a welcome pack by post and send back some forms which was a part of preparation process to formerly become a member of college. Until these formality is done (on I its way to completion), I don't think you'll gain access to Raven.......if I remember correctly.........

Yes, I would expect it's in Fresher's week. Maybe just after matriculation as you are then a formal member of college...

Correction: it's soon... See below.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest