The Student Room Group

How much do GCSEs prepare you for A-Level Maths and Sciences?

I am hoping to take A-levels at my local college soon as an adult. I have done GCSE Maths and Science subjects at 16. I am hoping to go for A-levels at the age of 24 and I am considering whether or not I should spend a year on mastering GCSEs before A-levels to help me prepare for them in the best way possible. If not, would the few first weeks of A-levels recap on the subjects taught at GCSE level?

I am hoping to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A-levels. I have looked at textbooks for A-levels and GCSE and I do not remember all of the materials on GCSE and did not find materials on A-level incredibly easy.

Thank you for your help in advance
There's only a small amount of overlap between GCSEs and A Levels in my opinion, there may be some basics which you need to understand in maths like rearranging equations and the algebra stuff in GCSE so I'd go over that.

With the sciences, there's really not much overlap so it's not necessary going over everything from GCSE but it could be a bit helpful. Also with physics, go over the trigonometry you did in GCSE maths because that is probably required by your specification, physics is a bit more mathematical at A Level than at GCSE so just make sure you're comfortable in dealing with numbers.
Original post by harlem
I am hoping to take A-levels at my local college soon as an adult. I have done GCSE Maths and Science subjects at 16. I am hoping to go for A-levels at the age of 24 and I am considering whether or not I should spend a year on mastering GCSEs before A-levels to help me prepare for them in the best way possible. If not, would the few first weeks of A-levels recap on the subjects taught at GCSE level?

I am hoping to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for A-levels. I have looked at textbooks for A-levels and GCSE and I do not remember all of the materials on GCSE and did not find materials on A-level incredibly easy.

Thank you for your help in advance

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C1/module.php

Go through the "Prior Knowledge" section will take you about a week probably a few days tbh Best of luck

Superhuman98

Quick Reply

Latest