The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richpanda
Yeah but that's over 5 years for the MEng course. At manchester and newcastle you can do a MEng with a year in industry over 4 years, as you do distance learning during the year away.

Ah okay. As far as I'm aware, those are the only 2 that do that. Most industry placements form part of a 5 year course. I don't think that's such a bad thing, it's only 1 extra year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lissy14
I do chemical engineering st the university of sheffeild.

This thread said an interview wasn't required, and none of my friends on the course had an interview, but I did... Bit weird!
I phoned them up on results day as I hadn't got the grades required, and instead of kicking me off the course they had just moved me onto the straight 4 year course. I asked if I would be able to move back on to the year in industry course, and they said yes if I got a 2:1 at the end of first year.
They said the reason they were keeping me was because I did really well in interview.... An interview which apparently no one else had! XD

Quick question, what made you pick Sheffield over other unis when applying and accepting offers? Did it live up to expectations?

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else here applying in their gap year?
Original post by pusha a
Anyone else here applying in their gap year?

Yeah, I am.
Original post by munchkin1212
Quick question, what made you pick Sheffield over other unis when applying and accepting offers? Did it live up to expectations?

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seemed better than any of the Unis with higher entry grades. The facilities were brand new, they were pretty high on the league tables and there SU is brilliant.
It definitely lived up to expectations
Original post by munchkin1212
Ah okay. As far as I'm aware, those are the only 2 that do that. Most industry placements form part of a 5 year course. I don't think that's such a bad thing, it's only 1 extra year anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 extra year where:

- You're paying £9000 tuition fees
- You're taking a maintenance loan if you move away, up to £3000

You could be:
- Earning graduate salary of £20k+ at least.
- Gaining a years' worth of experience towards chartership.
Original post by Cheesy Taters
1 extra year where:

- You're paying £9000 tuition fees
- You're taking a maintenance loan if you move away, up to £3000

You could be:
- Earning graduate salary of £20k+ at least.
- Gaining a years' worth of experience towards chartership.

Not all unis charge £9000 for your year in industry.
Personal preference I get, it's difficult to find integrated placements. Depends whether you pick that over your uni choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting AAAA means I'm not restricted in applying to anywhere- which makes the choices harder haha, although I'm not complaining.

I know I definitely want to give cambridge a shot, but I'm not sure after that. Bath has a good reputation, but they didn't offer much in terms of showing me their graduate links and prospects. Also they don't do an integrated year in industry.

Manchester and Newcastle both do integrated year in industry but obviously don't have as good reputation as Cambridge etc.

Imperial/UCL just seem a bit scary. Imperial has harder entry requirements than Cambridge (and is a cockfest) and the course is brutal. UCL, I've heard bad things about it on TSR in terms of the teaching quality and academic support.

Out of Bath, Manchester and Newcastle, Bath easily has the best employment opportunities btw. They give so much support to their students in getting places relative to the other two. Also don't be set on doing the integrated year in industry, very few people actually manage to get an integrated year in industry as companies are reluctant and it's very, very difficult to handle the workload whilst working full-time.

My advice would be to commit to doing a year in industry, whether it means an extra year or not. It's very difficult to get jobs if you don't have it as competition is so strong nowadays.
Getting AAAA means I'm not restricted in applying to anywhere- which makes the choices harder haha, although I'm not complaining.

I know I definitely want to give cambridge a shot, but I'm not sure after that. Bath has a good reputation, but they didn't offer much in terms of showing me their graduate links and prospects. Also they don't do an integrated year in industry.

Manchester and Newcastle both do integrated year in industry but obviously don't have as good reputation as Cambridge etc.

Imperial/UCL just seem a bit scary. Imperial has harder entry requirements than Cambridge (and is a cockfest) and the course is brutal. UCL, I've heard bad things about it on TSR in terms of the teaching quality and academic support.

If it helps, I think my final choices are going to be (in order of preference):

Cambridge

Imperial

National University of Signapore

Bath

Birmingham

Edinburgh

Tbh, doing a ChemEng degree is hardly the degree you'd want to be doing if you want to avoid a cockfest (tho Imperial is worse as the male/female ratio is high I admit). However, Imperial also happens to be in the heart London so I doubt there'll be any problem if you want to interact with the opposite sex.
Original post by ChemEngGrad
Out of Bath, Manchester and Newcastle, Bath easily has the best employment opportunities btw. They give so much support to their students in getting places relative to the other two. Also don't be set on doing the integrated year in industry, very few people actually manage to get an integrated year in industry as companies are reluctant and it's very, very difficult to handle the workload whilst working full-time.

My advice would be to commit to doing a year in industry, whether it means an extra year or not. It's very difficult to get jobs if you don't have it as competition is so strong nowadays.

Can you explain how Bath has much better employment opportunities? Is that within the industry or as a graduate in general?

Original post by NeverLucky
If it helps, I think my final choices are going to be (in order of preference):

Cambridge

Imperial

National University of Signapore

Bath

Birmingham

Edinburgh

Tbh, doing a ChemEng degree is hardly the degree you'd want to be doing if you want to avoid a cockfest (tho Imperial is worse as the male/female ratio is high I admit). However, Imperial also happens to be in the heart London so I doubt there'll be any problem if you want to interact with the opposite sex.

I meant that Imperial as a whole is a cockfest. You can do chem eng at Leeds, which has 60% female students overall. Within the course I don't mind a cockfest.
Bath or Birmingham? I am yet to go to both open days and I've heard some good things about both. If any one who studies or has studied chemical engineering at either institution chemical, could you please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly lol. thanks
Bath or Birmingham? I am yet to go to both open days and I've heard some good things about both. If any one who studies or has studied chemical engineering at either institution chemical could you please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly lol. thanks
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah, I am.

Oooh finally someone. How did results day go for you and did you get what you needed? Did you apply before in A2? How are you spending your year out? (sorry if you answered these before my phone is too slow to navigate pages lol)

As for me results day was a dissapointment, i managed to get A*AB in maths chemistry and fmaths (decent grades dont get me wrong) but bath and nott rejected me cos of that B in fmaths (was off by 8 ums ffs). So yeh decided not to go through clearing since the courses available didnt have year in industry which is what i wanted. Now im revising for 3 further math exams for a whole year (1 year just to improve by 8 ums haha) and have to go through the whole bloody ucas process again >:frown:

I meant that Imperial as a whole is a cockfest. You can do chem eng at Leeds, which has 60% female students overall. Within the course I don't mind a cockfest.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you but like I said, you would be living in London so interaction with the opposite sex isn't a problem hahaha. Leeds would be alright but I don't know if I would want to go to an interview just to get an offer.
is it worth applying for chem eng at imperial with 1A*6A3B at gcse with AAA at AS in maths bio chem
I would disagree that Bath has better graduation support than Manchester.

Manchester offers CV, covering letter and interview practise 1 on 1 either from a general employment support point of view or from the ChemEng school themselves. Not only this but there are companies that come into the University and give intensive information into their company as well as giving employment opportunities to the students.

Any Russell Group University will be an excellent choice. As long as the course is IChemE accreditied, its is often not too much of a difference as to where you graduate from in between the Russell Group universities. Obviously, Oxbridge is a level above them and other unis are a level below. Therefore, you want to look at the course structure i.e. what you will be studying/choice in electives etc. and definitely look into doing a Masters course with Industrial Experience. Both will give you a significant boost when it comes to applying to jobs.

P.S. This is my own opinion but the labs and pilot plant at Manchester as well as the new Engineering building being built, put it above Birmingham on my list when I was applying.

Even the grade you get at University is only super important if you are looking to apply for a design-based job i.e. in a design office where you will be using more of your degree to design processes. If you are interested in going into process engineering, i.e. problem solving real-life issues on a plant with direct impacts on performance and profit, the companies are looking for the applicants to have a good mindset and are good communicators, more than people who have a 1st Class Honours degree.
Original post by pusha a
Oooh finally someone. How did results day go for you and did you get what you needed? Did you apply before in A2? How are you spending your year out? (sorry if you answered these before my phone is too slow to navigate pages lol)

As for me results day was a dissapointment, i managed to get A*AB in maths chemistry and fmaths (decent grades dont get me wrong) but bath and nott rejected me cos of that B in fmaths (was off by 8 ums ffs). So yeh decided not to go through clearing since the courses available didnt have year in industry which is what i wanted. Now im revising for 3 further math exams for a whole year (1 year just to improve by 8 ums haha) and have to go through the whole bloody ucas process again >:frown:

Results day was alright - I couldn't be bothered celebrating that night even tho literally everyone in our year were out in town hahaha but I just got back from V Fest and that was amazing. I got A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics respectively which I was very happy with albeit I was slightly annoyed that the A was 1 UMS from an A* so I'm getting it remarked. I also got a C in the EPQ but we don't talk about that :wink:

I applied during A2 for Chemistry but I decided I wanted to do Chemical Engineering instead. I also got rejected from Cambridge post-interview so I wanted to reapply with my A2 grades. I've managed to secure an industrial placement via the YINI scheme so I will be spending the next year working in industry.

Your grades are great! So many people would love to have grades like that. For example, I've spent the last few days offering advice to someone who got BBE in their grades and so obviously their options are somewhat limited in terms of further education. Tho, I am surprised that they would reject you only cos of a B in FM especially as you got an A* in Maths - it's a difficult subject compared to normal Maths. Maybe consider also during something like AS Physics if you feel like your workload is a bit low? What else are you planning on doing during your gap year?

Manchester offers CV, covering letter and interview practise 1 on 1 either from a general employment support point of view or from the ChemEng school themselves. Not only this but there are companies that come into the University and give intensive information into their company as well as giving employment opportunities to the students.

Any Russell Group University will be an excellent choice. As long as the course is IChemE accreditied, its is often not too much of a difference as to where you graduate from in between the Russell Group universities. Obviously, Oxbridge is a level above them and other unis are a level below. Therefore, you want to look at the course structure i.e. what you will be studying/choice in electives etc. and definitely look into doing a Masters course with Industrial Experience. Both will give you a significant boost when it comes to applying to jobs.

P.S. This is my own opinion but the labs and pilot plant at Manchester as well as the new Engineering building being built, put it above Birmingham on my list when I was applying.

Even the grade you get at University is only super important if you are looking to apply for a design-based job i.e. in a design office where you will be using more of your degree to design processes. If you are interested in going into process engineering, i.e. problem solving real-life issues on a plant with direct impacts on performance and profit, the companies are looking for the applicants to have a good mindset and are good communicators, more than people who have a 1st Class Honours degree.

I mostly agree with what you've said but Bath tends to have a better reputation when it comes to Engineering subjects than other unis. Personally, I'd choose Birmingham over Manchester purely on the fact that I'd prefer living in Birmingham than Manchester.

Every university has a careers service which claims to offer this, but I personally feel that Bath goes above and beyond to ensure they're graduates get jobs, because that's their employability is their key selling point. Bath assign you a placement advisor that will ensure you get a placement and map your application progress, I know I didn't receive this kind of support and I've heard from Manchester grads they didn't either.

Can you explain how Bath has much better employment opportunities? Is that within the industry or as a graduate in general?

I'm not suggesting they have better opportunities, I'm just saying there's a lot more support for their graduates. I think the real choice between Manchester and Bath will depend on whether you want a city university experience or a campus university experience, so it's difficult to compare the two, and like richpanda says also the course structure too!
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE 1A*6A2B AS Maths - A Physics - A Chemistry - A Further maths - B (I hate D1) Should I take all 4 subjects to A2 or study A2 maths, physics and Chemistry and retake AS further maths? I know that I also need a good personal statement which I am working on but I don't think I will be able to apply to the Cambridges and the Imperials

Quick Reply

Latest