The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FightToWin
I like how OP has replied like once since starting this thread and you're still all at each other's throats taking the bait and getting all upset. I could debate about religion all day long but a) I have better things to do with my life b) It's not my job to change people's opinions and c) No one here is going to get my point fully. I learnt my lesson from the last thread.

Look, whether we're here because of some being 90% of people here don't believe in or because of some big bang thing where two things collided and somehow it made all the elements and an entire planet and life and made everything the right conditions to live in (that's literally all I know about it) there's one point all of you people are missing.

You're here, with an entire life to live and you should be pretty damn happy you've got that. Forget why we're here, or how we're alive and concentrate on bloody living. Maybe we'll all find out once this life is over, maybe we won't, whatever. Accept that everyone here has an opinion they're entitled to and you're not going to change it by typing text into a forum for people who want help studying. Just live and enjoy life.

Or if you really want to debate it, do it elsewhere with people who know what they're talking about, not these silly little "god isn't real end of" trolls, lmao. I stated my opinion in the last thread and now I'm leaving it. I suggest you all do the same. Have a great day.

Thanks, have a great day too!
Original post by Electrospective
You can't prove the non-existence of something. Just because something is unprovable doesn't mean there's a 50/50 likelihood of it existing. And if you're agnostic about god, then are you agnostic about fairies, unicorns and trolls?

Sure you can; it's really easy to prove the non-existence of a married bachelor, or a square-circle for example due to aforementioned concepts being inherently contradictory. Likewise one may disprove certain conceptions of God that posit seemingly contradictory attributes.

I think agnosticism in the case of God, where God is described as a formless, creative entity, may be more justified than in the cases of fairies, unicorns and trolls because a) the mythological creatures are supposed to be physical beings with mass, shape, etc and b) because we know the origins of said creatures in literature. Even so, I don't think one can definitively disprove the existence of such creatures, so yes, we should remain agnostic anyway.
Original post by ms-007
Guys !

This debate won't stop .... Because unlike other topics this concept cannot be grasped at an intellectual understanding level.

It is something to be individually experienced /felt and no one can make the other person 'experience' it by logic or debate.

Please don't spend your precious energy and time in debating here.

Those who currently don't believe, please make genuine effort to seek it by practicing the science of meditation and a spiritual discipline.

Those who already know what it's really like, are not debating here because they don't feel the need to get approval of this forum.

Also know the difference between spirituality and religion.

And please have the humility and wisdom that there are at a given time many areas which don't have conventional evidence which doesn't mean it doesn't exist till there is discovery or evidence.

As delusion is an intrinsic part of spirituality, it's bound to be challenging to overcome.

Best wishes and God bless you all.

I actually agree with this. And I have said as much. If one admits to me that they believe because of blind faith, because of a feeling, fine. I won't understand it, but I can accept it. What I won't accept is someone trying to make up arguments pretending they have logic and reasoning to justify that belief.

No standard model, no scientific theory.

Abiogenesis as a field is concerned with the origin of life, but there's no real consensus on the issue.
Before I begin I completely respect everyone's views and wish to cause no offence.
To me, the whole idea of heaven and hell is one created in order to control people - if you do "good" in life and don't sin you will go to heaven and if you are a "bad" person and sin you will go to hell. This to me seems to be an effort to subdue a population into thinking it's bad to be proud of yourself, etc. because if you are you'll go to a fiery place of pain and suffering which scares the living day lights out of many religious people. And, quite frankly, it's been effective because people were and still are living by the rules of an invisible man in the sky, written 2000 years ago and are worried if they break them.

My main issue with it is that it seems to devalue life itself - it seems to say it's fine don't worry about dying because if you do you'll go to a better place, much better than life was anyway. Which, in my opinion, is used to make people less radical, less bothered, less enthusiastic even about doing or achieving great things in their life because it won't matter anyway at the end of the day you'll go to heaven (or hell).

However I can see the positives of religion and have no issues with people believing in it whatsoever - this is just what I think.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Sure you can; it's really easy to prove the non-existence of a married bachelor, or a square-circle for example due to aforementioned concepts being inherently contradictory. Likewise one may disprove certain conceptions of God that posit seemingly contradictory attributes.

I think agnosticism in the case of God, where God is described as a formless, creative entity, may be more justified than in the cases of fairies, unicorns and trolls because a) the mythological creatures are supposed to be physical beings with mass, shape, etc and b) because we know the origins of said creatures in literature. Even so, I don't think one can definitively disprove the existence of such creatures, so yes, we should remain agnostic anyway.

Ah, but like you said those things are inherently contradictory.

Fair enough whether god exists or not in unknowable. But why just agnostic? Surely it makes more sense to be an agnostic atheist?
Original post by Drewwww
I understand why you're not willing to say God exists. But I do believe in God. I do worship a living God - And until you've felt his presence in your life I don't think you can say you believe. My proof? I've seen countless Atheists walk in to my church. They sit in the service, in the worship, and listen to the word. At the end of the service - I'll go back to them to see how they found it. Very oftenly id find them in the back of the room, crying their eyes out. Crying because they felt the presence of God. To a non Christian this will sound strange but it happens and it happens regularly. It's not hard to find where God is working, only if you look. Ofc I love you for not believing and I love you for believing - just be a good person no matter what X

That's all nice and good, except it still doesn't prove God exists. Not even in the slightest, and it is the fact that believers think it does, is what I see as a problem.
Original post by Electrospective
Ah, but like you said those things are inherently contradictory.

Fair enough whether god exists or not in unknowable. But why just agnostic? Surely it makes more sense to be an agnostic atheist?

I think "weak atheist" might be more appropriate. "Agnostic-atheist", while a popular label online, is contradictory and is not used in the philosophical literature.
I think "weak atheist" might be more appropriate. "Agnostic-atheist", while a popular label online, is contradictory and is not used in the philosophical literature.

Why is it contradictory? Educate me ^_^
There actually is evidence for God but one who wants to understand it must dig up a lot in different sorts of books. But that doesn't mean that God looks exactly human. He may not even be a substance, rather some kind of energy that can be sensed everywhere and yet nowhere, and can live in any person. That's it, that's what God is.
Original post by Retropattern
there is no evidence that god does not exist.

Bertrand Russell's teapot analogy:

"the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others."
Reply 111
Origins of the world and life have been explained? "World" and "life" are vague terms. If by world and life you mean the physical universe and first life form respectively, then no, they have yet to be explained.

The origin of the world (the Earth) have been convincingly explained, which is enough to disprove the three religions of the book.

On the origin of life, biological research is developed enough to show that life - and Man - weren't created like it is said in the Bible.

I mean:

The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. [...] Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. [...] Then God said, "Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens." [...] Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

You can't reasonably still believe in that after Darwin and radiocarbon dating.

The Big Bang is still a theory, so I acknowledge that believing in a God creator of the Universe (and only that) is not in contradiction with scientific discoveries - but for how long?
I am 100% confident that God exists and that he came to Earth as Jesus Christ to die for our sins. I personally believe that the atheists are the ones who are deluded.
Original post by Tamuna10
There actually is evidence for God but one who wants to understand it must dig up a lot in different sorts of books. But that doesn't mean that God looks exactly human. He may not even be a substance, rather some kind of energy that can be sensed everywhere and yet nowhere, and can live in any person. That's it, that's what God is.

Yes. I actually once conceded to a friend that "God" could be some form of ultimate energy.

But even if, she is by no means the God the big holy scriptures make out to be...
Original post by Trapz99
I am 100% confident that God exists and that he came to Earth as Jesus Christ to die for our sins. I personally believe that the atheists are the ones who are deluded.

Can you explain why you think that, out of curiousity? (I'm always interested as to why people hold their religious beliefs)

Also, why are atheists deluded?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99

Well since he has already died for my sins, I can add a few more and then go to confession and all is good :smile:
Original post by Trapz99

Isn't Jesus meant to be the son of god? How can he be God himself then?
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
Isn't Jesus meant to be the son of god? How can he be God himself then?

He is both God, the son of God and the Holy Spirit.
Reply 118
There's no evidence in Santa but I still get presents every year
checkmate atheists
Original post by _gcx
Can you explain why you think that, out of curiousity? (I'm always interested as to why people hold their religious beliefs)

Also, why are atheists deluded?

I just have the conviction in my heart that he exists. I am just so certain that he exists. Nothing makes more sense to me tbh. Atheists are deluded imo because they seem to think that the complex world that we live just came here out of nowhere and wasn't created by anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending