The Student Room Group

A low E remarked to an A?

Scroll to see replies

Wow...fingers crossed for all of you guys
Original post by thad33
I agree that more should be done to make sure the results are accurate. Too much is resting on our futures for there to be so many **** ups.

One of my teachers told me (though I'm not sure how true that is) that there is a tolerance of three marks in either direction. That cannot be right, surely? Three marks could easily be the difference between an A* and an A, or an A and a B, etc, especially when converted to ums. The marking has to be completely accurate.
Reply 22
Got an E in an exam I should have achieved at least a high B/ low A in after going through the paper again with our chemistry teacher after the exam. Fortunately the exam was redundant as it was not part of my university offer, nevertheless strange and disappointing. Not sure if I can afford a remark either. Glad to know it's not just me though.
Original post by manic.high.girl
What exam boards are they in? just checking to see if AQA has completely messed up their marking

AQA geog AS (geog1 and geog2)..? Same problem
Been getting high A's all year and got a low B. And i felt the paper went really well. Surely somethings gone on.
Original post by family'sfailure
A very similar thing happened to me. I got a C in Unit 3 AQA Psychology and was predicted an a* and thought I had done enough for one swell. I lost my place at Cambridge because of it so am waiting for a priority remark. Hoping someone forgot to mark one of my essays or something. Good luck with yours.

Can't believe I have found someone in the same situation - I received an E in my history paper from OCR but I have been getting A* all year, and in my mock. I have lost my place at Cambridge at the moment but I am anxiously waiting for my priority remark.
I'm at AS but I got high A's all year for History, 60/60 in one paper but 15/40 in another which brought my grade to a B. :s-smilie: so had pretty similar issues (just at AS level instead)
Reply 26
Original post by STEMfit
Got an E in an exam I should have achieved at least a high B/ low A in after going through the paper again with our chemistry teacher after the exam. Fortunately the exam was redundant as it was not part of my university offer, nevertheless strange and disappointing. Not sure if I can afford a remark either. Glad to know it's not just me though.

Which board and exam for chemistry?
Reply 27
Original post by bioeng98
One of my teachers told me (though I'm not sure how true that is) that there is a tolerance of three marks in either direction. That cannot be right, surely? Three marks could easily be the difference between an A* and an A, or an A and a B, etc, especially when converted to ums. The marking has to be completely accurate.

3 marks can be worth like 7/8 UMS in some exams. I think if everyone got their scripts back the marking would improve.
Original post by tg1998
same. its madness I've been getting 90-95% in papers then get a low B. I'm getting a copy of the paper. hopefully just a mad marker.

Arrgh, me too! High A grades throughout the year and then get a B.

I'm so salty right now.
Reply 29
AQA Bio here, getting A*s all year (and actually got UMS for A* in unit 5), but unit 4 I got a C? Brought my entire grade down to a B, so missed my offer for Vet Med.

Getting photocopy of scripts back and seeing WTF went wrong, then going for a remark. URGH.
Same **** happened to me, got 98% in s1 easter mock then 2 months later in the final exam i got d on that module ffs.
When is everyone expecting their remark back? I paid for priority because of the uni rush but they still don't give me a set date (A2 only please)
An E to an A? You've got no chance.

I failed (so a U) my synoptic A2 paper but still got an A grade overall so idgaf. :sly:
AQA Classics, there are three students in my class including me who were given U grades for one or even both papers. That's literally impossible, unless the exam was just a dream or we were hallucinating. We've all sent off priority remarks.

I hope whoever's responsible for these f*ck-ups lose their jobs because they clearly cannot do it properly.
Reply 34
I just got mine and apparently it hasn't changed. I'm actually laughing, I must've been high while sitting it if I'm still adamant it went well.

Anyway, that either means it got remarked and both came out with the same grade or they really are clamping down with this new system and didn't actually remark it, only reviewed it. Who knows...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got A*A*B in maths, further maths and music. Literally just 1 UMS off to an A in music but rejected by my firmed uni (UCL for maths) anyway. Still waiting for the remark results. This is so frustrating!
Original post by thad33
I just got mine and apparently it hasn't changed. I'm actually laughing, I must've been high while sitting it if I'm still adamant it went well.

Anyway, that either means it got remarked and both came out with the same grade or they really are clamping down with this new system and didn't actually remark it, only reviewed it. Who knows...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really sorry to hear that, have you got the paper back yet and had a look?
Original post by Scitty
AQA Bio here, getting A*s all year (and actually got UMS for A* in unit 5), but unit 4 I got a C? Brought my entire grade down to a B, so missed my offer for Vet Med.

Getting photocopy of scripts back and seeing WTF went wrong, then going for a remark. URGH.

god tell me about it, except i'm the other way round for unit 4 and 5. I've just ordered a remark for unit 5.
I didn't have a teacher for ICT the majority of the year, my grade from last year went from an A to a D in the exam :/
Original post by gomc
ive experienced the same in geography - ive been getting a grades, like really high a grades all year (close to full ums), and this time round ive managed to get a c when i thought it went really well
RIP
(this is AS though)

Same thing happened to me geography edexcel:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest