The Student Room Group

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
OK, so this is your attempt to turn a thread about into a mouth frothing rant about refugees. Well, I couldn't care less about how much you hate them, how many others are as hateful as you and what you want this country to be like. Being a keyboard warrior isn't going to make a difference :lol:

None of that drivel even warrants a response.

So you don't actually DO anything to help the poor refugees?

You don't give them any money or help out at a shelter?

And there was me thinking you really cared! :biggrin:

Neither of us cares, as it happens. But I am honest about it.
Original post by generallee
So you don't actually DO anything to help the poor refugees?

You don't give them any money or help out at a shelter?

And there was me thinking you really cared! :biggrin:

Neither of us cares, as it happens. But I am honest about it.

I do not need to prove myself to a random entity on the Internet.I'm not about to mention all of the charities that I contribute to in order to gain your approval, as it means nothing to me :yawn:

And if you are such a firm believer in everyone listing what they do to contribute to causes that they are passionate about, why haven't you told me how much tax you pay? Or what activism you take part in to get rid of those pesky refugees?
Original post by AperfectBalance
Ok then, they should not be getting free Education because
they have lost their homes and their country *talking about genuine refugees that the UK offered to house

but because they are good at what they do or have great potential

Well certainly! Not anyone is allowed to go to universities, not even when education is free.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I do, however, wonder how this will help to tackle the "rape culture" that we are told is a problem at Universities

You're asking for too much. Rational thought is a rarity nowadays.
Original post by WBZ144
I do not need to prove myself to a random entity on the Internet.I'm not about to mention all of the charities that I contribute to in order to gain your approval, as it means nothing to me :yawn:

And if you are such a firm believer in everyone listing what they do to contribute to causes that they are passionate about, why haven't you told me how much tax you pay? Or what activism you take part in to get rid of those pesky refugees?

You fail to address my point. I don't know whether that is because you can't grasp it or do so deliberately because you know it to be true, and have no response.

The left always believes itself to be morally superior to the right. You seriously think you are better people than us because you feel the pain of the refugees so deeply and want to rescue them from war and suffering by welcoming them all, in their millions to live here at the taxpayer's expense.

Yet when challenged as to what you yourself do to help, on a personal level, you have no reply.

And when asked about the concrete details of your crazy, insane ideas you also have no reply.

Or do you? How many refuges SHOULD the UK admit in your view? One million? Two? All of them?

Your views are politically insane. And despite your self delusions, you bleeding heart, virtue signalling lefties aren't better than us in any moral sense. Unless you regard rank hypocrisy as a moral virtue.
it annoys me too but the truth is, for successful integration and to do the moral thing and help the genuine refugees (not economic migrants mind you) you do have to be generous in some form or another to give them a helping hand
Original post by JNDSAN
it annoys me too but the truth is, for successful integration and to do the moral thing and help the genuine refugees (not economic migrants mind you) you do have to be generous in some form or another to give them a helping hand

There's being generous and there's being overly generous. I'm all for giving refugees access to education (and with that higher education), but this goes too far. Surely the sensible thing to do is to offer refugees access to all levels of education on the same conditions for which a British Citizen would recieve access to them. Give them access to student finance and make them have to pay it back under the same conditions that anybody else using it would.
Private educational institution gives free stuff/money/places/tuition to a group they identify as in need. Internet explodes.

If you are outraged about how they are allocating scholarships, don't go there as a fee paying student.

The left always believes itself to be morally superior to the right.

what a ******** non sequitur not backed up by evidence.
Much of the left is in fact guilt ridden, you can't believe to be morally superior and be guilt ridden...

Or do you? How many refuges SHOULD the UK admit in your view? One million? Two? All of them?

If you bothered to actually look it up instead of immediately taking up pitchforks and torches, you'd find that KCL is offering two scholarships (not free degrees, I assume you know how scholarships work)... just two people. It doesn't say how many on the Bristol website, but I don't its that much higher... Do you have a problem with two people (picked after screenings and interviews presumably) getting a scholarship?

You are being very collectivist and mob-culture like, and getting triggered by headlines without really doing further analysis of the situation.
The right in response to the regressive left are becoming pretty regressive themselves... I wouldn't doubt the rise the of the regressive right in the near future :tongue:

___________:fuhrer:___________
:mob::mob::mob:
You fail to address my point. I don't know whether that is because you can't grasp it or do so deliberately because you know it to be true, and have no response.

The left always believes itself to be morally superior to the right. You seriously think you are better people than us because you feel the pain of the refugees so deeply and want to rescue them from war and suffering by welcoming them all, in their millions to live here at the taxpayer's expense.

Yet when challenged as to what you yourself do to help, on a personal level, you have no reply.

And when asked about the concrete details of your crazy, insane ideas you also have no reply.

Your views are politically insane. And despite your self delusions, you bleeding heart, virtue signalling lefties aren't better than us in any moral sense. Unless you regard rank hypocrisy as a moral virtue.

Not caring to attempt to prove myself to an online entity, as I do not need the approval of that entity and not believing that your crazed rants are worthy of a response /= having no reply.

The Right likes to act like big, tough guys. They'll sit on message boards, vilifying refugees, ranting about how deeply they hate them and how they are going to do this or that to them. Moaning about how these people are "scrounging" their taxes. Then when asked how much tax you actually pay and what you are doing in terms of activism and charitable donations to help your cause, it turns out that you're just a keyboard warrior after all.
Original post by chemting

If you bothered to actually look it up instead of immediately taking up pitchforks and torches, you'd find that KCL is offering two scholarships (not free degrees, I assume you know how scholarships work)... just two people. It doesn't say how many on the Bristol website, but I don't its that much higher... Do you have a problem with two people (picked after screenings and interviews presumably) getting a scholarship?

Typical lefty emotion. :smile:

If YOU had bothered to read all the posts on the subject you would know that my criticism was of the present situation (about to be amended) in which unaccompanied minors, seeking asylum are entitled to a totally free university education. Tuition fees and living costs all paid for them, with no debt remaining, courtesy of their local council taxpayers.

And I specifically did not criticise Bristol (or the other Unis) who offer a few scholarships.

These (I assume) are chosen on academic merit. The current system is applicable for all UM asylum seekers, at any Uni in the UK. Even London Met.
If YOU had bothered to read all the posts on the subject you would know that my criticism was of the present situation (about to be amended) in which unaccompanied minors, seeking asylum are entitled to a totally free university education. Tuition fees and living costs all paid for them, with no debt remaining, courtesy of their local council taxpayers.

Except they don't, afaik they are considered 'home' - even then, not all of them are... the current system is that refugees, provided they meet the conditions, are entitled to student finance and loans, just like everybody else, which they have to pay back. This system has been in place for quite a while now, long before Merkel's blunder last year... unless you mean Scotland, I don't see "totally free university education"

Some universities may have fee waivers, extra grants and scholarships for some refugees at their own discretion, but that's another issue.
Original post by chemting
Except they don't, afaik they are considered 'home' - even then, not all of them are... the current system is that refugees, provided they meet the conditions, are entitled to student finance and loans, just like everybody else, which they have to pay back. This system has been in place for quite a while now, long before Merkel's blunder last year... unless you mean Scotland, I don't see "totally free university education"

Some universities may have fee waivers, extra grants and scholarships for some refugees at their own discretion, but that's another issue.

You are wrong. It is as simple as that.

Under the current system, local authorities are required to pay all the university fees for asylum seekers who were unaccompanied minors.

The draft Immigration Bill seeks to change that.

Here is an amendment from Helena Kennedy in the House of Lords seeking to restore the (sort of) status quo.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/2016-03-15/debates/16031556000351/ImmigrationBill#contribution-16031565000147
You are wrong. It is as simple as that.

Under the current system, local authorities are required to pay all the university fees for asylum seekers who were unaccompanied minors.

The draft Immigration Bill seeks to change that.

Here is an amendment from Helena Kennedy in the House of Lords seeking to restore the (sort of) status quo.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Lords/2016-03-15/debates/16031556000351/ImmigrationBill#contribution-16031565000147

Ah. Right. Didn't know about this special premise for care leavers.

My bad :colondollar:
Good on Bristol. If a refugee can get the grades for Bristol and it means they can leave the war torn past behind then why not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending