The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
The school should help you with this when you get back. If you've taken the AS you should declare it even if you are continuing with it as it is a separate result to your A Level. I'm nt really the person to ask about how to do it as I don't deal directly with UCAS, I get the output of the application not the input! Sorry.

Okay thanks :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99
Is it a big disadvantage to have AS grades AAAB as opposed to 4As?

I suppose it depends on the subject you're applying for and what the B is in but it's not necessarily a big disadvantage. Plenty of people at Cambridge have AAAB at AS Level. there are also people, here on TSR as well, at Cambridge with AABB at AS Level (mainly in the Humanities).
Original post by Eden00
Hello! I am going into sixth form this year and am hoping to apply to Cambridge for history. My question is, is History, Maths and Further Maths a set of subjects that would be considered by admissions? Or would the fact that there is maths/fm make my application less appealing? Also I know you must get this question a lot, but with the new a levels, would 4/5 A* at GCSE and then high UMS scores in AS be enough to get a application considered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your application will certainly be considered. 4/5A*s at GCSE is a little below the average acceptant but not much and it's important to stress that it's only an average.

One of my best students in History at Christ's has History, Maths, FM and Physics as his four A Levels so you combination is fine. As long as you have history it doesn't mater what else you have - there are lots of cognate subjects that work with it and anyone who doesn't recognise that Maths can be useful for historians isn't thinking about the subject right! :smile:
Reply 723
Your application will certainly be considered. 4/5A*s at GCSE is a little below the average acceptant but not much and it's important to stress that it's only an average.

One of my best students in History at Christ's has History, Maths, FM and Physics as his four A Levels so you combination is fine. As long as you have history it doesn't mater what else you have - there are lots of cognate subjects that work with it and anyone who doesn't recognise that Maths can be useful for historians isn't thinking about the subject right! :smile:

Thanks for the reply! So would it be possible to make my application even stronger with high UMS and high predicted? As well as showing a true passion for the subject in my personal statement and things?

That's great to hear as those are my exact subjects! Would you say that doing those four subjects all the way to a2 would give a benefit for the application instead of dropping physics for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ahmedelkafrawy99
GCSE RESULTS
5 A*s 1 A 4 Bs

AS RESULTS
Physics I got UMS (Safe A)
Economics 86 % UMS (A)
Arabic 87% UMS (A)
Maths 81% UMS (Low A)

What do you think should I try and apply to computer science at Cambridge or its a waste of time ?

MY A2 Expectations
Physics A*
Economics A
Arabic A*
Maths A

With quite low UMS at Maths and wiithout an A* prediction or 2 A*s predicted in Maths/Science, you are unlikely to get an interview I am afraid for Comp Sci.
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hello there,
I have just taken a year out from education and wish to apply for 2017 entry to a humanities/arts course. The problem is that I only have one A level result I am happy with (A* eng. lit.), and so I am taking fast track one year a level courses in the next year in humanities subjects. I am looking for your opinion on whether I should take two or three a levels to make my application have the best chance of succeeding? Also, just as some additional info., I will be 21 before October 2017 so classify as a mature student. I have tried Lucy cavendish thread but haven't received a reply so your advice would be very helpful. 😃
Original post by isabella1999
This isn't specific to Cambridge, but do you know how you "declare" AS results on UCAS for reformed subjects? Do you add in an AS qualification and the grade even if you are continuing to next year? And if you don't do this, where do you put the grade you achieved? School Is not being very helpful! Thanks

The school should help you with this when you get back. If you've taken the AS you should declare it even if you are continuing with it as it is a separate result to your A Level. I'm nt really the person to ask about how to do it as I don't deal directly with UCAS, I get the output of the application not the input! Sorry.

Yes all AS results must be declared on UCAS, whether reformed or not. :wink:
Original post by chemari
Willing to apply for Engineering
Grades GCSEs Maths A Adv. Science A Core Science B French A* Spanish A* RE C Geography C History B ICT B English lang C English Lit B I am a native Spanish speaker who moved to england in Febreaury 2014
AS Levels Spanish 191/200 UMS A (didn't receive any lessons or help-self taught?) Mathematics 81 UMS A C1 89 UMA (to remark since I think I made less than 4 mistakes and 1 mark = decimals more than 2 UMS) C2 67 UMS (to be remarked )M1 89UMS Further Maths (self taught with textbooks and online papers) about 40 ums E Further Pure 1 44 ums E M2 36 ums U (to be remarked) M3 42 E Physics 81 UMS A (probs school remarking paper where I'm 2 marks off an A) Psychology (48 UMS 2 raw marks off a D school remarking it probs) Biology 47 UMS (3 raw marks off a D so school probably getting remarked a paper or both) I red in Liverpool uni's website that they count native languages a levels as any other, so I assume this for any other Russell group uni? I do believe the knowledge has had to been learnt. I wanted to change college cause they don't teach further maths at mine, so I'd be going to another one For maths and further, they do the same examboard as my old college In maths they do the same modules as I have in year 12 and would have in my old college in year 13 (C3 C4 AND S1. For further maths I would have to sit: FP1(RESIT) M2 (RESIT) S2 , FP2, D1 & D2. They also have the same examboard for Physics However they don't offer languages, which I would have to do by myself.

French Language Studies Diploma (DELF) B1

What chances do I stand? If I excelled in the preint. Test would I definitely get an interview? Plus would it help if I did any moocs?

I am afraid that your grades are not viable for an application to Cambridge. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging.
Original post by AzizanW
Hello! Thank you very much for opening this thread. It's nice to be able to comfortably ask for advice.I am a reapplicant (applied for 2016 entry prior to this) and have achieved the following grades (no resits)1. Mathematics A* (94%)2. Physics A* (93%)3. Chemistry A* (94%)4. Further Mathematics A (88%)I plan to sit for STEP as well in June 2017. Last year I applied for Mathematics and got a offer from Oxford, but missed the A* Further Mathematics requirement. I plan to apply for Computer Science (most likely the 50% option with Mathematics). What are my chances if I were to apply with the A grade I have in Further Mathematics without resitting? Additionally, would it make any difference if I were to declare I wish to resit? Finally, while it states that no prior knowledge of programming is required, I suppose it is highly desireable. Do you have any advice for CompSci applicants as to what kind of super curricular activities to do with programming we should do? Thank you very much and sorry for the many questions!

I dont think you'd need to resit the FM. With A*A*A you'd be ok to apply and a decent candidate though not one of the strongest on paper. If you want to apply for the 50% option with maths, obvious the best preparation you can do is practice your maths as you'll need to impress the mathematicians.
Reply 729
Hi, if a student attends a school where X department is unstable with a high churn rate of teachers which affects a student's grades. How would a student communicate that in their application? Would that be taken into account?
Original post by apricities
Hello :smile:

I’m an incoming Year 13 and I’m considering reading Law. I scored 4As at AS and the breakdown is as follows

Maths : C1 85 | C2 100 | S1 86 (overall 90.3% UMS) A

Geography : Paper 1 108/120 | Paper 2 80/80 (overall 94% UMS) A

English Lang&Lit (reformed raw) : 129/160 A

Economics (reformed raw) : 123/160 A

I was wondering whether I’d be competitive with these grades or whether I'd at least be called for an interview (of course, given a good PS as well!). I know the low C1/S1 UMS & Econs raw mark are worrying :frown:

Also, I don't have any GCSEs because I just moved to the UK this year. Given that I'm an international student, would an A at AS Level for English Lang&Lit suffice to meet the English requirement or would I need to take IELTS before applying as well? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer all the questions here on this thread!

You don't need IELTS before applying. We assess you English competence across the application and decide whether to make IELTS part of the conditions of any offer. You have a solid set of marks and, though they won't be among the very best, they are certainly enough for you to apply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Just_a_mum
Hello.
I noted earlier in this thread that admissions teams were undecided about needing/asking for raw scores for the reformed subjects at AS level, for inclusion in the SAQ, and a decision was going to be made..

I may have missed the answer over the last few days. Just wondering whether a final decision has been made? My daughter hasn't got her raw scores, but we are going to ask the school exams officer if she can have access to them.

Thank you

We aren't going to ask for raw marks this year. Schools can submit them in the reference if they wish.
We assess you Eglish competece

Lol.

Sorry :smile:
Original post by jneill
Lol.

Sorry :smile:

Harsh! :smile:
Original post by bicks
Hi, if a student attends a school where X department is unstable with a high churn rate of teachers which affects a student's grades. How would a student communicate that in their application? Would that be taken into account?

There is a box on the SAQ that asks about any teaching difficulties. yes, we take it into account if it has impacted negatively on a student's performance and also if they've still done really well.
Hello again! I've currently been reconsidering my choice of college, and been thinking about Christ's. Any chance you could post some pros/cons about choosing Christ's, seeing as you work there? :smile:

Also, I have a few specific questions as an applicant from Denmark. I know that Cambridge states an overall average of 11 and grades of 12 in relevant subjects as the typical offer for Danish applicants, but I've been told it can vary from college to college. I'm wondering if you could give some specific data on typical offers for Danish applicants from Christ's? Also, when considering Danish applicants, do you consider the weighted or unweighted average? On my final certificate I currently have an unweighted average of 11.1 with the weighted average being 11.8, due to a modifier of 1.06 because I have had 5 A level subjects (physics, maths, danish, english, design and production electricity).

@C0balt mentioned that Christ's had a slightly different format of interview in comparison to other colleges. Any chance you could elaborate on that? As far as I can see from the college site, the interviews consist of two subject based interviews. If I have plans of studying physics, could I risk being interviewed in chemistry? I've only had chemistry at B level, and it's almost been 1.5 years since I last had the subject, so that would disadvantage me quite a bit in the interview.Sorry for the huge amount of questions, and thanks in advance! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I can do this
Also, I understand that you will not ask for raw scores from reformed AS levels, but will you ask for internal year 12 exams from schools that have decided not to take AS exams in reformed subjects?

Many thanks! :smile:

Schools can send us internal exam results if they wish but we aren't going to ask for them as they aren't comparable.

All the average UMS for successful and unsuccessul applicants in each subject under the old system can be found here. For Medicine it was 95.8, easily the highest.
Original post by couruthim
Hi, I missed my firm University offer this year. Having exceeded the requirement for my degree subject, but not met the requirement for another, unrelated subject. I did have some extenuating circumstances, but obviously these did not suffice as an explanation for my results if I was ultimately rejected. However, I'm considering retaking the unrelated subject during a gap year and reapplying to university. Would this put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants? Would I be looked down on for retaking a subject?

I'm afraid I need more detail about your subject and grades to make a useful response. In general post A level applicants who are retaking in order to get themselves to the accepted entrance requirements are not successful. If you already have the required grades, then there's no need to resit exams.
Original post by jdizzle12345
How do you give offers to people who do 4 A-Levels at A2? Do you only give a 3 grade offer or 4 grade offer? Thanks

It really depends on the subject applied for and the A Levels they are doing. We might specify exactly which 3 A Levels we want the grades it. We might specify one where we want the grade. Sometimes, if all the subjects are relevant, we might make a 4 A Level offer.
Original post by Abdulzeedo
Thanks for your reply

I Would like to apply for computer science (G400) In Diploma di stato, the school can not provide me individual subject grades (I have already tried).

However, as you can see I have taken the maximum result possibile so the marks must be full in each subject, therefore 15/15 in Maths too, but if really required I can provide my final term grade in Maths which is 9/10. As for other subjects my school is specialized in Informatics and Telecommunications, therefore I had also these subjects in the last 3 years, whereas, I have done Physics for the first 2 years.

I could not apply last year for Imperial as I was not sure if I would even be considered without providing my predicted grades as my school does not provide them.

I have already done IELTS this summer and got overall 7.5. What else is needed to get a serious chance at Imperial? I will get my reference from my two teachers (one of them teach maths, which recommended me to try for Cambridge)

I am also working in my class mates startup which also appeared many times in national tv and won many prices at regional and national level

I was also chosen from "federazione nazionale dei cavalieri del lavoro" which means national labor federation riders to be listed in one the best students of the year in Italy and maybe get a medal from President of Italy and a scholarship.To be considered in this federation I must have 9/10 in final semesters in last 6 years of school (average results of all subjects)

These are all good things in preparation. I can't speak about Imperial but for us just practice your Maths and have a look at he sample CSAT for Computer Science.

Latest

Trending

Trending