The Student Room Group

Why is the life of a south asian girl so hard

Scroll to see replies

Pm if you wanna talk, I have knowledge of the Asian community and attitudes etc
Original post by inhuman
So why not just say Pakistan? I have never come across this term in another country than Britain

If you go to America, Asian means Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc and Pakistanis, Sri Lankans and so on, are all ''Indian''.
Reply 42
Original post by Anonymous
Shut up u have no idea what we go thru

Nut the **** up and stop griping
Reply 43
Original post by The Sexathlete
If you go to America, Asian means Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc and Pakistanis, Sri Lankans and so on, are all ''Indian''.

Same in Germany, well the Asia part. But we don't call Pakistan or India South Asia. We call them by their country's name. That's why I'm confused and unsure which of the two was meant.
Reply 44
People complaining about how their life is so hard have probably never faced any real hardships and instead just crumble at any obstacle they face in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Correction you can. :laugh:

Show me an example of someone who has. :smile:

Original post by elmosandy
I repped your post but it's not so simple like that. Girls do try and end up getting caught, people have to help them get out, they're also been highly brainwashed from a young age, brainwashing which is uneasy to get rid of, it's not so simple, if it were, girls wouldn't be honour killed.

In what context? If parents are "brainwashing" their children into being submissive and obeying the parents' every order, they don't have an excuse for honour killings. In many cases the motives for honour killings are because the parents feel their children are bringing shame to the families and communities, regardless of what they actually did. South Asian families are very insecure - they're more concerned with what everyone else thinks of them than what they think of their own children. Maybe what you mean is the idea that girls love their parents and are scared to do anything against them.

I don't agree with the idea of brainwashing anyway because South Asian women get an education here and are able to freely think for themselves. It's harder for a child to challenge the views of their parents if they've never left the house or gone to school/interacted with the outside world. But seeing as these girls have been raised in this country, they can't expect to live different lives inside and outside the house. Freedom of choice and basic human rights apply to everyone in this country - South Asian girls need to stand up to their parents if they feel they're being treated unfairly. It's not an issue of family dynamics or "acceptable behaviour for a girl", it's oppression. Hopefully most girls won't have to worry about this, but for the ones that do - the responsibility is with themselves to do something about it.
Original post by Serine Soul
Lol I realised recently that my mum never bought me a scooter nor let me carry on learning how to ride a bike because I'd lose my virginity in an accident...

Hahahahah omg I thought it was only my crazy parents who thought this! As soon as I reached the age of like 9/10 they stopped letting me ride bikes, stopped letting me learn karate and told me I wasn't allowed to do the PE stretching exercises because I would break my hymen :lol:
Original post by The Sexathlete

That's cos Americans are dumb as **** and don't realise that India is just one country, lol. :biggrin:

America always has problems with integration and at least one ethnic group fighting for equal recognition at any point in time. First it was black people, then it was Latin Americans/Hispanics, now it's people of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Afghan descent. After 9/11 and now the war on terror, things just went downhill so badly. It will probably be many years before we see South Asian people accepted in America in the same way as everyone else. :s-smilie:
Life can be difficult not only to Asian girls but to everyone else. It could be that tough because of too much expectations. I think, the best thing to do is just enjoy every moment as it comes.
You're 20?
You have no obligation to listen to your family. There are systems in place if they treat you violently as a result. There's almost always an option, you can take charge of your life, you can turn things around. But you need action, solutions, not kind words from internet folks.
ikr....this is why I'm moving out in September :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhisperingTide
You're 20?
You have no obligation to listen to your family. There are systems in place if they treat you violently as a result. There's almost always an option, you can take charge of your life, you can turn things around. But you need action, solutions, not kind words from internet folks.

I agree with this. For me, everything lies on you. You can accept defeat but never let failures defeat you. :smile:
Well, I'm a south asian girl, also 20 year's old. I'm allowed to do anything i want, such as going out as long as my mum knows I'm going out. No dating is allowed or anything like that, but other than that my family are fine.

My family follow religion, we do not care about culture, it depends on how parents want to raise their child and they need to trust them. Clearly your parents do not trust you, I have a friend who's family is strict it's crazy to be honest. Not all south asian families are super strict and follow culture. Just saying. :tongue:
Original post by EastGuava
Do you eat curry?

Yes we eat curry.
Reply 54
Original post by noticemesenpai
Well, I'm a south asian girl, also 20 year's old. I'm allowed to do anything i want, such as going out as long as my mum knows I'm going out. No dating is allowed or anything like that, but other than that my family are fine.

My family follow religion, we do not care about culture, it depends on how parents want to raise their child and they need to trust them. Clearly your parents do not trust you, I have a friend who's family is strict it's crazy to be honest. Not all south asian families are super strict and follow culture. Just saying. :tongue:

20 and still under the control of your parents yet trying to convince yourself and others that that's not the case. How sad for you.*
Original post by Reue
20 and still under the control of your parents yet trying to convince yourself and others that that's not the case. How sad for you.*

Lol, what? I'm not in control of my parent's :laugh: ahh, of you are trying to get me to argue or something then that's kind of sad. I'm happy with my life sooo. :u:
Reply 56
Original post by noticemesenpai
Lol, what? I'm not in control of my parent's :laugh: ahh, of you are trying to get me to argue or something then that's kind of sad. I'm happy with my life sooo. :u:

They are in control of you. It makes no difference whether you're happy with the situation or not, just don't try and use yourself as an example of someone allowed to do whatever they want when clearly you cannot.
Reply 58
Are you sure its not being a teenager in general that is hard. Im south Asian btw and I have no problem whatsoever, I feel the opposite to you actually.
Original post by Reue
They are in control of you. It makes no difference whether you're happy with the situation or not, just don't try and use yourself as an example of someone allowed to do whatever they want when clearly you cannot.

Wait, where did you get that idea from. :laugh: there are some south asians that are not in control of their parent's. I'm pretty sure not all south asians are in control of their parent's....so yeah. I can't be bothered to argue with you so....don't quote me :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending