The Student Room Group

Absolute honesty please.

How likely am i to get an offer for a Medicine degree?

Repeated year 12 - AS results: A -Geography, B-Biology, C-Chemistry- C-History(from first year 12 year), B-EPQ on Embryonic Stem Cell Research.
Possible Bronze award in Cambridge Chemistry Challenge.

Predicted grades to be A/A* - Geography, A - Biology, B - Chemistry.

Work Experience - At a Pharmacy and The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and volunteering at my Church for 2+years.
Reply 1
Repeating year 12 will have severely narrowed down your choice of med school. Did you have extenuating circumstances?

You're predicted a B for Chemistry? Unfortunately, you would need to be predicted an A to apply.

My advice would be to work hard and get your AAA at A2. Especially as you've already repeated a year. Once you've achieved this, look at which med school would accept your a-levels taking 3 years.

Unfortunately, it may be that no med school will accept this so you'd have to go down the grad route. Do a degree and then apply for med after either on the 4 or 5 year courses.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by JayAhm
Repeating year 12 will have severely narrowed down your choice of med school. Did you have extenuating circumstances?

You're predicted a B for Chemistry? Unfortunately, you would need to be predicted an A to apply.

My advice would be to work hard and get your AAA at A2. Especially as you've already repeated a year. Once you've achieved this, look at which med school would accept your a-levels taking 3 years.

Unfortunately, it may be that no med school will accept this so you'd have to go down the grad route. Do a degree and then apply for med after either on the 4 or 5 year courses.

Hope this helps

Ok. Yes, you were very helpful, thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by JordanDtsr
How likely am i to get an offer for a Medicine degree?

Repeated year 12 - AS results: A -Geography, B-Biology, C-Chemistry- C-History(from first year 12 year), B-EPQ on Embryonic Stem Cell Research.
Possible Bronze award in Cambridge Chemistry Challenge.

Predicted grades to be A/A* - Geography, A - Biology, B - Chemistry.

Work Experience - At a Pharmacy and The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and volunteering at my Church for 2+years.

Resitting a year severely limits your options of where to apply (particularly without extenuating circumstances) - and without an 'A' prediction it limits options so significantly as to it being unlikely to be a good idea for you to apply to medicine as an undergraduate. It may be better to do another degree, and then apply to GEM. There's some advice in the top post in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4251144
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
Resitting a year severely limits your options of where to apply (particularly without extenuating circumstances) - and without an 'A' prediction it limits options so significantly as to it being unlikely to be a good idea for you to apply to medicine as an undergraduate. It may be better to do another degree, and then apply to GEM. There's some advice in the top post in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4251144

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I have also read through your Medicine thread, and found it very helpful. Thank you for your work here assisting people with the topic of Medicine, you have done, and are doing a great job.

Quick Reply