The Student Room Group

UCAS Adjustment - is it worth applying to a more 'prestigious' university?

Hi,

I applied to the University of Stirling to study Psychology. The course offered BBC (for four years), and I assumed I would just scrape them grades.

However, on results day I ended up with A*AB and A* in EPQ. I registered for Adjustment, but now I'm unsure what to do. I liked Stirling and I also have an offer of my first choice accommodation and a large bursary due to my grades, but I still feel like I could be aiming for another university.

As far as I'm aware, Edinburgh still have places left, and are offering AAB. Other than that, most other universities do not, so I have also considered taking a gap year and reapplying to Durham (or another similar university). However, this would be a hassle.

So my question is this: do you feel it is worth forfeiting a place at Stirling to attend a more traditional university with a better ranking/reputation? Why/why not? Does it make much difference?

Thanks
Original post by PsychStu
Hi,

I applied to the University of Stirling to study Psychology. The course offered BBC (for four years), and I assumed I would just scrape them grades.

However, on results day I ended up with A*AB and A* in EPQ. I registered for Adjustment, but now I'm unsure what to do. I liked Stirling and I also have an offer of my first choice accommodation and a large bursary due to my grades, but I still feel like I could be aiming for another university.

As far as I'm aware, Edinburgh still have places left, and are offering AAB. Other than that, most other universities do not, so I have also considered taking a gap year and reapplying to Durham (or another similar university). However, this would be a hassle.

So my question is this: do you feel it is worth forfeiting a place at Stirling to attend a more traditional university with a better ranking/reputation? Why/why not? Does it make much difference?

Thanks

Yes, definitely take it, the better the university the better the degree and employers know that. Also better universities will have better lecturers meaning you will have an easier time learning the course. You don't lose your current course until you accept the other one over the phone and I believe that when you apply through adjustment you get guaranteed accommodation since that is what I got.
Original post by PsychStu
Hi,

Thanks

Whatever you decide, the five day window is about to close, so you need to be speedy.

Quick Reply