The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chimaera
:smile: Missed my Imperial offer, my STEP grades were as I expected, plus I missed the A* for Further as well XP

How did you do in STEP? Assuming you got a 1 in at least one paper since you got in without A* in FM?
I put Imperial as insurance lol.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
How did you do in STEP? Assuming you got a 1 in at least one paper since you got in without A* in FM?
I put Imperial as insurance lol.

I'm not gonna do Maths, got in for Maths and Physics. Actually had to go through Clearing, so I was pretty lucky. I liked that my course has the option to switch to either straight major after the first year, so if I do well enough I could still do Maths :smile:

My STEP was pretty terrible, but I did pass, so you probably can tell what I got :P I did get 4A*s, so I was hoping that both of them might overlook the Further, but oh well. How come you firmed Warwick over Imperial? Was Imperial's requirement lower?
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I can't really answer in that level of detail without compromising individual applicants' anonymity. Sorry.

I'm the Christ's offer that had his grade changed from 1 to S in Step II .
However they didn't inform me about the mark I got and I want to know.
I guess we are talking about one or a couple of points ,but still I wanna know.
What should I do? Ask anyone?
I'm not gonna do Maths, got in for Maths and Physics. Actually had to go through Clearing, so I was pretty lucky. I liked that my course has the option to switch to either straight major after the first year, so if I do well enough I could still do Maths :smile:

My STEP was pretty terrible, but I did pass, so you probably can tell what I got :P I did get 4A*s, so I was hoping that both of them might overlook the Further, but oh well. How come you firmed Warwick over Imperial? Was Imperial's requirement lower?

Oh nice, 4A* anyway XD. Only had 2.

Yeah Imperial was lower. But I didn't want to go to Imperial anyway. In fact if I had missed my Warwick offer (I have no idea how I would though) I would've probably had to take a gap year and stuff. Would probably reapply to Cambridge in that case.
But that would've been bad.
Oh nice, 4A* anyway XD. Only had 2.

Yeah Imperial was lower. But I didn't want to go to Imperial anyway. In fact if I had missed my Warwick offer (I have no idea how I would though) I would've probably had to take a gap year and stuff. Would probably reapply to Cambridge in that case.
But that would've been bad.

Ahh I see. I was thinking of a gap year too but then decided I couldn't be bothered XD Anyways I think I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Looking forward to seeing you around in October! :smile:
Ahh I see. I was thinking of a gap year too but then decided I couldn't be bothered XD Anyways I think I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Looking forward to seeing you around in October! :smile:

Yep you too! :biggrin:
Original post by shamika
How on earth did that happen?!?! It does beg the question of whether there are more errors. I assume once the first error was spotted people didn't go through every script again...

It was a marking error with a small number of scripts. I don't know the exact details (I'm a medieval historian after all!) of the whys and wherefores. Fortunately it was noticed (if not quite in time for results to have gone out) and has been rectified. It's obviously a bit embarrassing for us but all exams are susceptible to human error unfortunately.
Original post by Vesniep
I'm the Christ's offer that had his grade changed from 1 to S in Step II .
However they didn't inform me about the mark I got and I want to know.
I guess we are talking about one or a couple of points ,but still I wanna know.
What should I do? Ask anyone?

if you want to PM me with your full name and other A Level results then I'll let you know privately. Sorry to do it this way but it's necessary to ensure confidentiality.
if you want to PM me with your full name and other A Level results then I'll let you know privately. Sorry to do it this way but it's necessary to ensure confidentiality.

If I PM you my STEP results and A level results with my full name can I have my grades upgraded to an S? Its only 5 or so marks not that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just recently received my results and i'm just trying to decide between Oxford and Cambridge and i was just wondering given my set of results which i'll post below, just based on that alone which of the two i'll have a higher chance of getting into to study mathematics. Also, i would really appreciate if someone could just recommend me a few readable math books that i could use to broaden my mathematical knowledge while also providing me something interesting to write in my PS. Results: Math (A*) Further Math (A*) Physics (A*) Chemistry (A*) Overall UMS: 97.5 Step paper 1 grade 1. Singapore GCE O level: 6 A1s
I did my A levels in the UK but I will be applying as an international student as I am singaporean
Thank you so much for reading this! Pretty new to this forum so i'm not really sure how to do the spoiler thing to cover my results. Sorry!
Original post by danielhx

[noparse]

Spoiler

[/noparse]

Spoiler

Original post by danielhx
I just recently received my results and i'm just trying to decide between Oxford and Cambridge and i was just wondering given my set of results which i'll post below, just based on that alone which of the two i'll have a higher chance of getting into to study mathematics. Also, i would really appreciate if someone could just recommend me a few readable math books that i could use to broaden my mathematical knowledge while also providing me something interesting to write in my PS. Results: Math (A*) Further Math (A*) Physics (A*) Chemistry (A*) Overall UMS: 97.5 Step paper 1 grade 1. Singapore GCE O level: 6 A1s
I did my A levels in the UK but I will be applying as an international student as I am singaporean
Thank you so much for reading this! Pretty new to this forum so i'm not really sure how to do the spoiler thing to cover my results. Sorry!

Do you like ticking boxes and completing the square? Yes, go to Oxford.
Do you value ur maths work and want your good solid 1 in Step I to be acknowledged? Go to to cambridge :wink:

But yeah I honestly think cambridge would be more suitable/easier if you can get good step grades.
Have you seen these reading lists?
More A levelly type stuff:
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.maths.cam.ac.uk/files/pre2014/undergrad/admissions/readinglist.pdf

If there are any particular undergrad. things u may want to look at some of the books at the bottom of each course section:
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/schedules.pdf
Original post by physicsmaths
If I PM you my STEP results and A level results with my full name can I have my grades upgraded to an S? Its only 5 or so marks not that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that can be managed. Cambridge naturally lets medieval historians tamper with STEP results! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey if that was the case I'd definitely have 3 S's now. Just one mark in each plz, no one will know...
@Christ's Admissions Hi, is it possible to ask how many engineers from Christ's this year have met the STEP 1 requirement, i.e. gotten grade 1 or above? If possible, may I further ask how many scored an S? Thanks!!
R there any Christ's engineers here?
Original post by thebeast123
R there any Christ's engineers here?

DUKE GLACIA.
Hes a proper lad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey if that was the case I'd definitely have 3 S's now. Just one mark in each plz, no one will know...

Sorry imfirst in line.
U already have 2 so ur at the back of the line. Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure that can be managed. Cambridge naturally lets medieval historians tamper with STEP results! :smile:

Haha. Quick Question(i dnt know if you know the answer).
But were the number of 1,1+this year ~160 like most other years?
Also how many places have been given approximately? It is still 250 right? Despite the student cap lifting stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DUKE GLACIA.
Hes a proper lad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending