The Student Room Group

Maths a level in one year????

pp
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sadunicorn
I want to study civil engineering in uni but results day kinda ruined everything. Most unis ask for maths and another science subject ( chem, bio, physics and geography).

I am studying geo, maths, spanish and english lit AS. Results day was a big surprise because the subject I worked the hardest for was geo and I only got a C, maths i had to self- study because my sixth form for wouldnt let me do it because I got a B at gcse only 1 mark off an A. So it was really difficult because they forced to do a fifth subject in school because I was doing maths outside school.

As a result,I failed maths because I didnt have anytime to revise for it and I only started doing it in March I knew I was gonna fail but because I paid for it I just did the exam anyway. So I got ABCU (spanish, engl, geo and maths)

-I dont know whether I should take a gap year and re-sit maths
-or move schools drop eng lit because I hate it re-sit one of my geo exams keep spanish and do a-level maths in one year.
- drop geo, keep english, spanish and do maths a-level in one year

so what do you guys think? if you have any other possible solutions please share it. thanks.

bump
Reply 2
Original post by sadunicorn
I want to study civil engineering in uni but results day kinda ruined everything. Most unis ask for maths and another science subject ( chem, bio, physics and geography).

I am studying geo, maths, spanish and english lit AS. Results day was a big surprise because the subject I worked the hardest for was geo and I only got a C, maths i had to self- study because my sixth form for wouldnt let me do it because I got a B at gcse only 1 mark off an A. So it was really difficult because they forced to do a fifth subject in school because I was doing maths outside school.

As a result,I failed maths because I didnt have anytime to revise for it and I only started doing it in March I knew I was gonna fail but because I paid for it I just did the exam anyway. So I got ABCU (spanish, engl, geo and maths)

-I dont know whether I should take a gap year and re-sit maths
-or move schools drop eng lit because I hate it re-sit one of my geo exams keep spanish and do a-level maths in one year.
- drop geo, keep english, spanish and do maths a-level in one year

so what do you guys think? if you have any other possible solutions please share it. thanks.

I mean good on you for trying to do the maths outside of school. I guess the options are kinda left up to you. You could take a gap year and retake maths with a science (physics is probably your best bet for civil engineering). I mean a year isn't a long time, and for you all you know you could come out with As or Bs in both subjects. I think it would be worth taking the gap year. You could even use the year to maybe gain some work experience in the field you want to go into.

Quick Reply

Latest