The Student Room Group

Do you agree that a levels are harder than uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a_bc
and a day ago you got into UCL for medicine with ABBB ... LOL

is that AS or A2 grades?
Original post by a_bc
and a day ago you got into UCL for medicine with ABBB ... LOL

lool never mind, i didn't read the entire thing, i would be amazed if it were true
I've only completed first year but I must say it was easier from me than my a levels! I did 4 so maybe that's why but I found the workload at uni to be less than a level! I feel like the amount of content covered at university is a lot manageable to take in and learn! During a levels I pretty much revised since I started the year at A2 and still found them overwhelming with too much content to comprehend! At uni, I revised a month or 2 beforehand and my exams were pretty easy in comparison!
I have a feeling it my step up second year but I got a solid first in first year without putting nearly as much work in at a levels!
(edited 7 years ago)
Well firstly I would say it depends on you as a person, your degree and the Uni. A couple of factors leads me conclude that on a personal level, that my first year was easier than A - levels.

The first and main factor for me, it isn't school; never found it to be a comfortable environment in the first place. Didn't improve that much at A levels.

Secondly my subject has changed in a way, having done Fine Art at A level, then a Foundation year and now Graphics Design and Illustration; I can say with full confidence that Fine Art at A level is utter BS and Fine Art by extension. It's still marked subjectively, but at least now I can focus on drawing for purpose and aesthetic reasons, opposed to adding some patronising meaning behind it. Plus having a teacher that decided from day one that all my ideas are terrible, for being too 'imaginative' and abstract? I'm doing art right?
Original post by crowey
I've also completed a Psychology degree and I think it depends on the way you look at it. I took the IB at sixth form and I do feel like it was harder than my degree because of the workload and stress which comes with it.That being said the IB meant I had to take a Science. Studying Biology prior to my degree definitely prepared me for the sciencey aspects of Psych.

Overall, I just found my degree was a more manageable workload compared to the IB.

I think a lot of people find there is quite a jump from GCSE's to A levels, whereas the jump from A levels to a degree (depending on subject) is smaller. Also, your first year of university tends to be ungraded so you can get away with doing minimal work. That's probably why a lot of people say they find their degree easier than A levels.

I don't get that at all. For my final year of uni I was having to study non-stop. I found they expected so much reading, and then independent reading on top of that. I wasn't stressed during my A-levels but that had me stressed.

I'd go to lectures, go to my part time work, then go home and work, work, work. My friend worked 12 hours a day every day to get a First. From 8 in the morning till 8 at night, sometimes later. I felt like I had no life to be honest.

I took Biology for A-level too. Oh and my first year of uni counted towards my degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I do actually find my degree easier, but only in comparison to the A level subject my degree is in. I just feel I can play to my strengths more, I get to pick 90% of my modules, so I can pick what I enjoy and what I'm good at, whereas at A level you study a bunch of topics regardless. The exams and marking also seem much more fair.

The workload is much more, but the content itself isn't really much more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by SuperHuman98
My Chemistry teacher said that A-levels are easier than degrees however with A levels you have less time.

Depends on the uni u go
yeah I do actually, in my case (politics BA compared to gov/pol, history, eng. lang and philo/ethics)
Original post by Twinpeaks
I did biology A-level and again it's a walk in the park compared to degree level 🙈

The main thing with degree level is the standards. You can easily get a 90 at A-level if you repeat back what you learned. I remember A-level Psychology just involved describing a study, and then giving some good and bad methodological points. It was like a recipe, once you got it, it was so easy.

Degree level is different, because a 90 at degree level means that it's worthy of publication in an academic journal. So to me, the standards alone make it harder.

In order to get a 70 (a First) you have to go beyond what you were taught and add something original. So for every lecture you'd have a chapter or several journal articles for required reading, then you had to find your own reading that will be different but still relevant on top of that in order to get a First. To this day I still don't know how people manage to squeeze all that in.

I remember the first thing my lecturer said at uni was to try and forget the way you were taught Psychology at A-level, in reality it's a lot more complicated.

I wasn't calling bs to you, but to her, because she's given a completely wrong expectation of what a psychology degree is like.

That's cool, best of luck with your endeavours!! :smile:

Yeah I agree completely about A-levels being easy... She was probably trying to motivate us or something, in a terrible way haha. Thank you :smile: it's looking good so far, got As in all my AS exams!
A levels were a joke and the grade inflation since I completed them suggests they've become even easier.

My degree was more challenging as you had to go beyond the course material to get a decent mark. Although first year university was easier than A levels. How I miss those multiple choice exams.
For maths, and in my experience, uni is more difficult - much more is expected of you.
I think gcse's were harder that A levels because there was just so many of them. Then I feel like uni first year was easier than a levels but after that (2nd and 3rd year) uni was the most testing of the lot.
I think A Levels were harder! I found university easier!
Original post by Strawberry68
After doing 1 year at uni I think A levels are harder. But I didn't find A level Geography, what my degree is in, hard because I enjoyed it so got an A. I found A level Biology hard and hated it. I liked AS biology but hated the A2 content and had no friends in my class so didn't like it at all and did rubbish with a D. I found English Language not 'hard' but very boring.
(I found my AS General Studies easy and got an A)

I believe whether you find something hard or not is down to how much you enjoy it when it comes to academics :biggrin:

I didn't have a very nice time at sixth form and was in a bad place. I moved so didn't know anyone in the area when I started. I was stabbed in the back by the snakes who I initially tried to be friends with.That place was not for me as the people were very different and snobby compared to those in my secondary school. I believe me being miserable there contributed to me not achieving my full potential. I am so much happier at uni with real friends so am doing much better :smile:

I can relate - I'm resitting and I hate myself for it.

What grades did you get overall?

I am curious to see how you were stabbed in the back, any chance you could share more of that information?
Original post by Maths is Life
I can relate - I'm resitting and I hate myself for it.

What grades did you get overall?

I am curious to see how you were stabbed in the back, any chance you could share more of that information?

Don't hate yourself for resitting I'm sure it will pay off. I could have resat with different subjects but couldn't bare the thought of staying an extra year in that sixth form lol I wasn't eating enough as it was my bmi was 15.

At AS I got AACC . At A2 I got ACD, dropped down a grade in Biology. This has left me with an OK university and disappointed parents.

Basically they were friendly at first then turned sour for no specific reason towards me and my real friend. They'd do cringey friendship speeches - not including us, stopped inviting us to everything, would glare at us from across the table, they'd be generally rude towards us "um, you're kind of in the way" was said when trying to get past me instead of a simple "excuse me" like any decent person would say. This was put up with till after Christmas because we didn't really have anyone else to sit with who we 'knew'. Anyway after Christmas we found some other people to sit with and we ended up good friends with 2 of them. So I basically felt very alone and like an outsider a lot of the time. Being in a place where you're the only one with a different accent can be daunting. I might as well have been foreign haha. Very different to secondary school were I had a lot of friends.
Original post by Strawberry68
Don't hate yourself for resitting I'm sure it will pay off. I could have resat with different subjects but couldn't bare the thought of staying an extra year in that sixth form lol I wasn't eating enough as it was my bmi was 15.

At AS I got AACC . At A2 I got ACD, dropped down a grade in Biology. This has left me with an OK university and disappointed parents.

Basically they were friendly at first then turned sour for no specific reason towards me and my real friend. They'd do cringey friendship speeches - not including us, stopped inviting us to everything, would glare at us from across the table, they'd be generally rude towards us "um, you're kind of in the way" was said when trying to get past me instead of a simple "excuse me" like any decent person would say. This was put up with till after Christmas because we didn't really have anyone else to sit with who we 'knew'. Anyway after Christmas we found some other people to sit with and we ended up good friends with 2 of them. So I basically felt very alone and like an outsider a lot of the time. Being in a place where you're the only one with a different accent can be daunting. I might as well have been foreign haha. Very different to secondary school were I had a lot of friends.

I think what you experienced some childish and arsey people than don't deserve an education.

You're not at high school and shouldn't stand for that crap.

At A levels people are usually very kind so like you said there is some snobby with that sixth form.

Very cringey indeed - I wouldn't like to live in an american bully movie every day, cliche stuff is not needed.

I'm glad you found friends after christmas and hope you do more than well at university.

Btw I got AAB in Maths, FurtherMaths, and Economics
(A*) 98UMS average.

It has kinda paid off and I am thinking of applying to Durham, Leeds and Manchester
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Little Popcorns
I think gcse's were harder that A levels because there was just so many of them. Then I feel like uni first year was easier than a levels but after that (2nd and 3rd year) uni was the most testing of the lot.

I sort of agree with you on the first part. Especially because we are a lot less mature when we take GCSEs
All my English teachers said A-levels are much harder.

They really did lie to us all. Uni is so hard. The amount of work, reading, writing, typing, researching you have to do is beyond ridiculous!

Uni is tough imo.
Won't it depend.

Some find A levels harder whilst others find uni easier and vice versa.
I did Maths at uni and my degree was a million times harder than A-level, I imagine it might be a little different for some other subjects though.

Quick Reply

Latest