The Student Room Group

Got ACD in AS Results, should I still apply?

Hi all,

My aspiration is to go to the University of Birmingham, and the Business Management course I want to take usually offers AAB. In my AS results I achieved an ACD, which I am very disappointed in. I am retaking the exams which I got the C and the D in, and I'm confident I can achieve the target grades. However, I was concerned whether or not I should apply to the course. I do not wish to take a year out at all for personal reasons also. In the best possible scenario, I can be predicted something like an ABB, as in both other subjects I had been getting A's on occasion and did so in the mock exams as well, but it could also be predicted as an ABC. I am capable of producing a great personal statement and a glowing reference as well, but I am still concerned about it all.

Thank you for listening

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a similar ish position to you. I got BCD, and want to apply for an AAB course in Economics at Loughborough. Not bothering retaking my AS though as they don't count towards the A2 for me.
Reply 2
Original post by RallySPORT
I'm in a similar ish position to you. I got BCD, and want to apply for an AAB course in Economics at Loughborough. Not bothering retaking my AS though as they don't count towards the A2 for me.

Are you still applying? The courses I got the C and D in are both old format so they would be 50% of the total A level.
I probably will apply on the off chance I get an offer, but I'll be working as hard as I can to achieve grades somewhat like that. If I don't get those, I'll just go through clearing, and if I don't get anything then, I'll take a year out and apply afterwards. I'm also applying for some BBB/BBC courses too in case I don't get anything from Loughborough. So basically, it depends how many other places you have to put down. You can put 5 down on the form I think, so if you've got room for Birmingham, it's probably worth putting down and see what happens.
Reply 4

What subjects?
Reply 5
I probably will apply on the off chance I get an offer, but I'll be working as hard as I can to achieve grades somewhat like that. If I don't get those, I'll just go through clearing, and if I don't get anything then, I'll take a year out and apply afterwards. I'm also applying for some BBB/BBC courses too in case I don't get anything from Loughborough. So basically, it depends how many other places you have to put down. You can put 5 down on the form I think, so if you've got room for Birmingham, it's probably worth putting down and see what happens.

Yeah, you can put down 5. Thing is, the last thing I want to do is take a year out, I just can't. I think I'll go as low as BBB on my application, as BBC's will usually be in clearing. I want to apply for Birmingham, but was wondering if someone who had experience in a similar situation had any advice because I'm not sure and I'm sure as hell worried
Raj it was B in Economics, C in Physics, D in chemistry. And for me, the BBB one was Keele I think for economics, they might do a business one. And if you did have to take a year out, try looking at the university of Buckingham. I think they do business management, at BBC or something, but they work over the summer so it's only a 2 year degree.
If it's your dream then yes, apply. But make sure to apply to 3 lower universities.
Reply 8
Raj it was B in Economics, C in Physics, D in chemistry. And for me, the BBB one was Keele I think for economics, they might do a business one. And if you did have to take a year out, try looking at the university of Buckingham. I think they do business management, at BBC or something, but they work over the summer so it's only a 2 year degree.

Okay thank you, but I am really determined to go to a red brick for the best job prospects and at BBC I'm sure I could find a decent but obviously not red brick university in clearing.
Reply 9
Original post by adesola15
If it's your dream then yes, apply. But make sure to apply to 3 lower universities.

What do you make of the likelihood of me getting any offer?
I too want to go to the best uni I can with the best grades I can get, but at the moment they're just going down as backups. I'll probably take my chances in clearing like you.
Reply 11
I too want to go to the best uni I can with the best grades I can get, but at the moment they're just going down as backups. I'll probably take my chances in clearing like you.

Yep, apply to realistic ones. Probably one AAB, maybe 1 or 2 ABB and then BBB.
Original post by yycdxb

If you can get a ABB prediction I'd say you'd be likely to get an offer, especially with good reference and PS.
Reply 13
Original post by adesola15
If you can get a ABB prediction I'd say you'd be likely to get an offer, especially with good reference and PS.

And with an ABC prediction?
Original post by yycdxb

Original post by yycdxb
And with an ABC prediction?

That would depend on the admissions tutor reading your application.

You can read what UCAS points people admitted got here:
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10006840FT-K0272/ReturnTo/Search
generally for universities which aren't super competitive you can get an offer if your predicted grades are right even with slightly lower AS grades but the more competitive russel group universities will probably have to wittle down their candidate pool after they deal with the basics and in that case you may be out due to your AS grades

if you're planning to resit anyway I would just apply and see what happens, worst comes to worst you just apply again next year when you know your final grades/try for a place in adjustment but don't do yourself out of a decent uni place by compromising to lower grades just because you don't want to stay home for another year, whatever your situation if you're living there now you can deal with one more year (could even be 6 months if you did work then travel)
Original post by yycdxb

At AS i got ABCD, then dropped the subject I got a B in. I applied to York, where the entry requirements were AAB and I got an offer. So it's definitely possible, although it will also probably depend on what grades your teachers predict you for A2.

Economics at Loughborough tend to be in Clearing every year so if you get ABB on results day or more it is worth giving them a ring.
Thanks Fas, I will if they're not good enough. If I get ABB, maybe I'll be lucky enough to not have to go through clearing, as they've started accepting some people even if they're a grade under without clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending