The Student Room Group

Muslims "in the crosshairs of bigotry"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
"most muslims aren't like that"? a 2011 UK poll suggested that 100% of muslims asked think homosexuality is "unacceptable" - and 75% of them thought people should be criminalised for insulting the prophet muhammad...and 50% thought gay people should be jailed. it's hard to not generalise with figures like those

Who was asked in this poll? My best friend is a Muslim and she wasn't asked to take part in this poll in 2011. Can't be representative of all Muslims then can it
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Who was asked in this poll? My best friend is a Muslim and she wasn't asked to take part in this poll in 2011. Can't be representative of all Muslims then can it

Not sure if sarcasm
Original post by European Freedom
This White privileged girl was raped and set on fire by a Muslim

whitegenocide.jpg

Coloured people are great at playing victim, while Whites always play the villain role. Even when we're being mass raped and murdered.

can't see this story on any news sources apart from breitbart, not sure if its accurate
Reply 303
Original post by alevelstresss
this is proof that the problem is extremists taking the quran and interpreting it in their own, evil way, and not Islam

this also does not condone rape anywhere

read what this passage ACTUALLY MEANS here: http://www.islamic.org.uk/I4wm/sexual.htm
It is very simple.
The Quran and sunnah explicitly permit the use of female captives for sex.
International law and the UNDHR classes the use of captives/slaves for sex as "rape" (free consent cannot be given in such a context).

Therefore Islam condones rape.
QED.

It is rather disturbing that you would rather defend Islam for allowing rape, than condemn it for it. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 304
yeah the islamophobes who I blocked (QE2, inhuman) have been reporting me like crazy, probably was removed
I never report posts. I don't need to. I just destroy them with logic.
Like I have been doing with yours.
Which is why you ran off crying like a baby and now refuse to come out and play.
yeah the islamophobes who I blocked (QE2, inhuman) have been reporting me like crazy, probably was removed

I sure haven't.

I will report this one though as calling someone an islamophobe is slander.

http://www.skepticink.com/nocrossnocrescent/2013/03/12/homophobia-rate-among-british-muslims-100/
complete with citations and the lot

either your friend is secretly homophobic or you're lying, assuming they took part in this.
I'm not saying that there are *some* muslims out there that aren't homophobic, but the *vast* majority of them, within the 90%~ figure, *are*. this is why you have this poll with 100% homophobia rates amongst a sample size of 500 muslims (in different areas)
http://www.skepticink.com/nocrossnocrescent/2013/03/12/homophobia-rate-among-british-muslims-100/
complete with citations and the lot

either your friend is secretly homophobic or you're lying, assuming they took part in this.
I'm not saying that there are *some* muslims out there that aren't homophobic, but the *vast* majority of them, within the 90%~ figure, *are*. this is why you have this poll with 100% homophobia rates amongst a sample size of 500 muslims (in different areas)

Your article says 500 Muslims were sampled, how is that representative of anything also I'm not lying she really wasn't surveyed
Your article says 500 Muslims were sampled, how is that representative of anything also I'm not lying she really wasn't surveyed

Well it is representative because there's this thing called statistics where you can make the sample size smaller to be representative of the whole population. Are you really going to argue the validity of polling done by a verified research organisation?
Reply 309
Are you familiar with randomised sampling for the purposes of statistical analysis?
Basically a sample size of a couple of thousand with give accurate data for a population of millions to within a certain level of confidence and accuracy (usually around 5% for most surveys)
They do not have to ask every Muslim, or voter, or butter user, the questions in order to get a reasonably accurate idea of how most Muslims, voters or butter users would respond to the questions.

The thing is, market research is a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide, and its success depends on their predictions being borne out in reality. Simply rejecting these surveys because they don't correspond to your personal position, or that of people you know, is pointless. Yours views are represented in the survey, but you are in a minority. That is all. Not everybody can be in the majority about everything, by definition. It's just how things work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tongeyyy
Well it is representative because there's this thing called statistics where you can make the sample size smaller to be representative of the whole population. Are you really going to argue the validity of polling done by a verified research organisation?

Original post by QE2
Are you familiar with randomised sampling for the purposes of statistical analysis?
Basically a sample size of a couple of thousand with give accurate data to within a certain level of confidence and accuracy (usually around 5% for most surveys)
They do not have to ask every Muslim, or voter, or butter user, the questions in order to get a reasonably accurate idea of how most Muslims, voters or butter users would respond to the questions.

The thing is, market research is a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide, and its success depends on their predictions being borne out in reality. Simply rejecting these surveys because they don't correspond to your personal position, of that of people you know, is pointless. Yours views are represented in the survey, but you are in a minority. That is all. Not everybody can be in the majority about everything, by definition. It's just how things work.

Until I have worded quotes from every Muslim in the world saying the claims you've just made, I'm not going to believe a word you say

well, prove that you're not lying. you're giving me a very hollow anecdotal claim.

and I didn't claim it was the *most* representative sample, but are you really saying that it doesn't reflect the general views of most muslims? what figure do you predict would be more accurate then? 90%? 80%? why is it that, across all mulsim countries, they are generally much more homophobic today than other countries? I mean, with that assumption proven with all these other surveys, why are you challenging the general viewpoint (via this 2011 census) that muslims are basically the most homophobic group?
nah, come on, give me a guess of a figure. or else I'm going to assume you mean something like 95% are unaccepting. in which case, your little anecdote was very pointless in proving that the homophobia wasn't as huge as it is.

probably in the 70-85% range in the UK. my point was this 100% figure is ridiculous

Original post by admonit
Ask your friends if they pray five times a day and when they last time were in mosque. May be they are not true Muslims... :cool:

yep, all do! Most have completed Hajj at 13, and all observe ramadan.
Original post by QE2
So they don't "completely accept homosexuality". Because of their religion.

Way to refute an argument bro!

No, not changing the way they see marriage personally isn’t the same as not completely accept it.

Original post by QE2
Except that you said that they don't completely accept it. For religious reasons.

No, they don’t treat gay people differently to straight people. They just view the institution of marriage differently.
Original post by frankielogue
probably in the 70-85% range in the UK. my point was this 100% figure is ridiculous.

why not at least 90%? how many "liberal" muslims do you think exist? bear in mind that basically all muslims are raised in an environment reminiscent of the culture of the middle east in the UK, where people are *killed* for homosexuality. liberalism was based in europe, and developed over hundreds of years. liberalism isn't exactly something that a muslim, raised in a traditionally muslim environment, will just suddenly decide to switch to
(edited 7 years ago)
why not at least 90%? how many "liberal" muslims do you think exist? bear in mind that basically all muslims are raised in an environment reminiscent of the culture of the middle east in the UK, where people are *killed* for homosexuality. liberalism was based on europe, developed over hundreds of years. liberalism isn't exactly something that a muslim, raised in a traditionally muslim environment, will just suddenly decide to switch to

I’m trying to account for young muslims, who are generally more accepting. The figure is probably around 85% tbh
Original post by frankielogue
yep, all do! Most have completed Hajj at 13, and all observe ramadan.

OK. If your friends also are Arabs then it is unexplainable anomaly. :smile:
Reply 317
Your in the crosshairs of stupidity
3-2-1- Grammar nazi appears :P
"most muslims aren't like that"? a 2011 UK poll suggested that 100% of muslims asked think homosexuality is "unacceptable" - and 75% of them thought people should be criminalised for insulting the prophet muhammad...and 50% thought gay people should be jailed. it's hard to not generalise with figures like those

LOL i suggest you dont believe statistics that say "100% of people think X"

It's like when dictators have elections and get 100% of the votes!

Don't misuse science to perpetuate bigotry. Do you even know how to assess if a poll is reliable? Come on.

If you're so into this 'statistic', what was their sample size? Please send me a link so I can evaluate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending