The Student Room Group

Why cant poorly adapted animals reproduce?

I could have spent many minutes looking up this questions but right now am in no mood to bother.
Because they die? I guess this is for biology? They don't reproduce because they were not able to adapt to survive. Survival of the Fittest. All you have to say if you get a question about that is that they did not survive as they did not adapt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daydreamer3
I could have spent many minutes looking up this questions but right now am in no mood to bother.

Because of survival of the fittest. This means that they don't live long enough to reproduce due to intraspecific competition in this case. Say one duck in a species has a dodgy beak and the other in the same species has a big long beak. The duck with the dodgy beak won't be able to eat as well or catch food as well and due to this bad adaptation, it will die before getting to reproduce. A weird example lol but it is basically the concept of the survival of the fittest :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's based on Darwin's theory of natural selection. Animals which have characteristics most suited to the environment are more likely to survive and reproduce. Animals poorly suited to the environment will be at a disadvantage when getting food and other vital resources they need to survive. Therefore they are more likely to die and not get a chance to reproduce.
Okay, thank you both :smile:

Quick Reply