The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

I've just got my AS back.
I got AAAC
English literature- A
History-A
Philosophy-C
Politics-A
I want to apply to Oxford, Wadham. I know someone who got an interview at New College on BBCC last year, but didn't get in. Is it worth still apllying or will my C ruin my application. I got 5A*s 1A and 5Bs at GCSE. Does anyone know someone whos got into Ox/Cam with a C in an AS subject, I also got 100 UMS in all my As. thanks :smile:
It doesn't hurt to apply and find out if you meet the entry requirements. Grades alone do not decide whether you get an offer or not.
Reply 2
thanks for your reply, I'd just be interested to know if its been/can be done, so as not to go through a grueling process for nothing.
Original post by alleycat393
It doesn't hurt to apply and find out if you meet the entry requirements. Grades alone do not decide whether you get an offer or not.
I had a friend who applied for HSPS (an insanely competitive course at Cambridge) with AAAC - the C in history - and since she dropped it at AS, she had A*AA predictions, so she got a Cambridge interview. She didn't get an offer, but at least she was given the chance to try and prove herself!
Original post by graceecal
thanks for your reply, I'd just be interested to know if its been/can be done, so as not to go through a grueling process for nothing.

If you meet the entry requirements everything else will depend on the strength of your application so that's the first thing to check. People will apply with lots of different backgrounds so I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are doing.
Reply 5
Original post by blue2337
I had a friend who applied for HSPS (an insanely competitive course at Cambridge) with AAAC - the C in history - and since she dropped it at AS, she had A*AA predictions, so she got a Cambridge interview. She didn't get an offer, but at least she was given the chance to try and prove herself!

Encouraging. I'm yet to come across someone who has actually got in with a C yet. I'm not dropping the C, I'm resitting it. And I'm predicted A*A*A
Reply 6
Encouraging. I'm yet to come across someone who has actually got in with a C yet. I'm not dropping the C, I'm resitting it. And I'm predicted A*A*A

I've never had less than an A in class work and mocks, but didn't finish the paper on the day. I also won the AS Philosophy award at my college so I hoped evidence other than the exam would show the C up as a blip, that well be righted by next June. Thanks for your response, where did your friend end up out of interest?
Reply 7
If you meet the entry requirements everything else will depend on the strength of your application so that's the first thing to check. People will apply with lots of different backgrounds so I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are doing.

I'm unsure what the entry requirements are. I've spoken to Dr sam Lucy who is the admissions offcier at CAM who said don't bother if you don't have 4 high A's
There you go then. It may be worth checking the entry requirements on the website just in case but it is very competitive so if you don't have the grades you'd be better off looking elsewhere.
Reply 9
There you go then. It may be worth checking the entry requirements on the website just in case but it is very competitive so if you don't have the grades you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

yep, but I just find it baffling that they interview students with AS grades as low as BBCC, why would they waste their time if they're not interested? equally, i probably will apply all the same to become familiar with the system ahead of Postgrad applications
yep, but I just find it baffling that they interview students with AS grades as low as BBCC, why would they waste their time if they're not interested? equally, i probably will apply all the same to become familiar with the system ahead of Postgrad applications

Like I said before there are grades and the rest of your application so the best way to find out is to apply. Postgrad admissions are very different from undergrad admissions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending