The Student Room Group

Why is the life of a south asian girl so hard

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noticemesenpai
Yes we eat curry.

So you do follow the culture, nice :tongue:
Reply 61
Wait, where did you get that idea from. :laugh: there are some south asians that are not in control of their parent's. I'm pretty sure not all south asians are in control of their parent's

I never suggested you controlled them, The complete opposite in fact.

*don't quote me :u:

Too late
i know how you feel.

i hate the stupid asian mentality.
Original post by EastGuava
So you do follow the culture, nice :tongue:

We like to eat curry, it's not like WE HAVE TO or are forced to eat it. :laugh: :laugh: plus everyone eats curry....
Well, I'm a south asian girl, also 20 year's old. I'm allowed to do anything i want, such as going out as long as my mum knows I'm going out. No dating is allowed or anything like that, but other than that my family are fine.

My family follow religion, we do not care about culture, it depends on how parents want to raise their child and they need to trust them. Clearly your parents do not trust you, I have a friend who's family is strict it's crazy to be honest. Not all south asian families are super strict and follow culture. Just saying. :tongue:

if you follow religion why aren't allowed to date at 20?
Original post by elmosandy
if you follow religion why aren't allowed to date at 20?

I'm not turning this thread into a religion debate thread. :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=noticemesenpai;67129958]I'm not turning this thread into a religious debate thread. :laugh:

It's not a religious debate-it's a question...
Original post by Real_jenn
It's not a religious debate-it's a question...

its going to turn into that, it's obvious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not turning this thread into a religion debate thread. :laugh:

I'm not I just don't understand how if you follow religion, how can you not be allowed to date at 20? I understand, the koran for example, saids you don't have to get into an arranged marriage or even wear etc ( everything is actually 50/50 ) I heard this from a mum's friend she actually taught it doesn't say anywhere in the koran to honor kill, forced marragies, burka, dating only certain ' casts' , etc.... so i'm just wondering why aren't you allowed to date?
I'm not I just don't understand how if you follow religion, how can you not be allowed to date at 20? I understand, the koran for example, saids you don't have to get into an arranged marriage or even wear etc ( everything is actually 50/50 ) I heard this from a mum's friend she actually taught it doesn't say anywhere in the koran to honor kill, forced marragies, burka, dating only certain ' casts' , etc.... so i'm just wondering why aren't you allowed to date?

My mum wants me to concentrate on education, she's divorced so she wants the best for me. She got married at a young age, it was her choice and everything. Plus personally i don't want to date xD
My mum wants me to concentrate on education, she's divorced so she wants the best for me. She got married at a young age, it was her choice and everything. Plus personally i don't want to date xD

What does her being divorced got to do with anything?

Are you saying she doesn't want you to go throught the ' same mistake' years ago? If you are- I still don't understand what it's got to do with anything??????? I know people who had kids/got married at young ages personally, got divorced and don't care about them dating ( well they care about them having kids but that's another topic )

Anyways why education? why not both - although I must say some cultures want their kids to marry young, instead of getting education. My mum school friends said they knew they had to get married when they leave school ( 16). My mum's friends told her they stayed studying right until masters because they knew they'll be married if they don't. Then again, idk why don't you want to date at 20? Are you at uni?
With south Asians particularly pakistani Muslims families, they seem to have their wires crossed, they mix culture and religion up and will class culture to be part of their religion e.g. Pakistani culture will involve a Pakistani girl strictly marrying a Pakistani and the family will also see this as a religious thing so it backs up their arguments, whereas in Islam a girl or guy can marry someone from any background as long as the person is a muslim.
Also they're cultural ideologies are very backwards even till this date, these are the faults in the culture which makes life harder for you.
I hope that things get better for you xx
What does her being divorced got to do with anything?

Are you saying she doesn't want you to go throught the ' same mistake' years ago? If you are- I still don't understand what it's got to do with anything??????? I know people who had kids/got married at young ages personally, got divorced and don't care about them dating ( well they care about them having kids but that's another topic )

Anyways why education? why not both - although I must say some cultures want their kids to marry young, instead of getting education. My mum school friends said they knew they had to get married when they leave school ( 16). My mum's friends told her they stayed studying right until masters because they knew they'll be married if they don't. Then again, idk why don't you want to date at 20? Are you at uni?

I am a university student, I'd rather go through education. I don't see dating important, not my priority at all, that'smy opinion :laugh:. And i do not want to talk about my mum being divorced and yes she does not want me to go through the same thing. And that is how myself and my mother are, other people's parents are different :laugh: south asian parents do not raise their children the same way.
I am a university student, I'd rather go through education. I don't see dating important, not my priority at all, that'smy opinion :laugh:. And i do not want to talk about my mum being divorced and yes she does not want me to go through the same thing. And that is how myself and my mother are, other people's parents are different :laugh: south asian parents do not raise their children the same way.

Then why mention it???? it's irrelevant

20 years old, not allowed to date though

& I wasn't talking about south asian parents when I was mentioning the people who have been divorced young
Then why mention it???? it's irrelevant

20 years old, not allowed to date though

& I wasn't talking about south asian parents when I was mentioning the people who have been divorced young

It's one of the reason's....a factor. So what's wrong with that? 20 and not dating I'm happy...:laugh: i don't see a problem with that.
Original post by Serine Soul
Lol I realised recently that my mum never bought me a scooter nor let me carry on learning how to ride a bike because I'd lose my virginity in an accident...

What that doesn't even makes sense.
Original post by Anonymous
What that doesn't even makes sense.

My vagina needs to bleed on my wedding night to keep up their reputation x
Original post by Serine Soul
My vagina needs to bleed on my wedding night to keep up their reputation x

what about your brother does he need to bang every chick about ?
what about your brother does he need to bang every chick about ?

No idea of what's expected of him...he's only 9 months old

Quick Reply

Latest