The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D3LLI5
Only oxfordshire. Cambridge gets really cold for some reason, apparently it's to do with nothing standing in the way of cold winds from siberia. Sure feels like it anyway haha.

And North Sea. East Anglia can get really cold and sometimes with heavy snow.
But as long as you're from a part of somewhere in UK, you should be fine.
And thanks to global warming, even Cambridge is slightly warmer than long time ago. A member of my family who was a rower at Cambridge said the first thing they had to do often at the beginning of outing (training on the river) in winter was breaking the ice on the river. That never happens these days..............yet......:tongue:
Original post by D3LLI5
I focus on trying not to die of cold

Good advice. One of the things I remember after all these years is how the wind whistles off the Steppes, over the North Sea, and lands in Cambridge.
Can't quite believe I'm posting this but I'm in!!! I just found out this morning that my college still want me. Feels completely surreal to say but I guess I'll see you all (especially any bio natscis) in September.
Original post by C0balt
I didn't know this thread existed
NatSci physical at Christ's :smile:

Hey!! Engineer at Christ's here!
I had a dream last night where I was in a mad panic on my first day and ended up accidentally buying a sleeping bag instead of a gown. I was so embarrassed that I hid in an underground toilet.

Stupid brain. Nightmares both before and after results day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I had a dream last night where I was in a mad panic on my first day and ended up accidentally buying a sleeping bag instead of a gown. I was so embarrassed that I hid in an underground toilet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just buy a curtain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Just buy a curtain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or ask Professor Snape to lend you one
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol
But if you have a same dream, tell 'you in the dream' hang on to the sleeping bag. Some students (including a few of my daughter) kept a sleeping bag in their room in case a friend come to stay overnight...... and my daughter slept in it a few times. Can be very useful.

....but don't wear the sleeping bag for the matriculation ceremony......:tongue:
Any information on Magdalene college would be extremely appreciated.

Also, anyone coming to the London welcome event?
Original post by disillusions

You might need to be a bit more specific about the information you want to know about Magdalene... :wink:

Heres one: I think it has the longest amount of river frontage of any college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Meee I am going!
Original post by thebeast123
Hey!! Engineer at Christ's here!

Heya see you in October :smile:
@Duke Glacia is a Christ's engineer too
Original post by jneill
You might need to be a bit more specific about the information you want to know about Magdalene... :wink:

Heres one: I think it has the longest amount of river frontage of any college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate that I was pretty vague, but I really don't mind. I have kind of read anything and everything online about the college, so anything more intimate would be helpful, i.e. pet peeves, things/places to avoid, advantages of the college, etc.

Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Meee I am going!

Cool! What and where are you studying?
I appreciate that I was pretty vague, but I really don't mind. I have kind of read anything and everything online about the college, so anything more intimate would be helpful, i.e. pet peeves, things/places to avoid, advantages of the college, etc.

One thing I'd strongly recommend is master to pronounce their name properly before you arrive. :tongue:
And when you go to support your college's boat club in Bumps (the very popular inter-college boat race, the best boat race in the world), remember "Maggie" is not your college but John's. :wink:
Original post by Krollo

I'll sneak you into King's underground bunker for all your underground toilet needs

got your back jack

Natural Sciences at Clare :smile: you?

The question is, do u know how to pronounce Magdalene?
Original post by EnglishMuon

I prefer to sing the name to the tune of Macarena

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I prefer to sing the name to the tune of Macarena

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol i reckon that could cause a couple of street fights.

'Maudlin' apparently.
Original post by EnglishMuon

Mag-dahl-en-ay obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending