The Student Room Group

Choosing subjects at A level

Hi there,
Can someone please help me to choose the best subjects for me as i do not know.
My current choices:
Maths
Physics
Economics
(Unknown) someone please help me out on this one!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Singh_20
Hi there,
My current choices:
Maths
Physics
Economics

What are you thinking of doing after your a-levels/at uni?
Hi there,
My current choices:
Maths
Physics
Economics

Depends on what you want to do at uni but also you don't need to do 4, you can leave it at 3
Reply 3
Hi there,
My current choices:
Maths
Physics
Economics

Further Maths ties in well with Maths and Physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing after your a-levels/at uni?

Thats the problem! I do not know myself about my future!
Further Maths at AS level will become very useful if you later decide to pursue Maths or Physics. If you later decide to do Maths at uni many courses require at least AS further maths if it was provided at your school.
Thats the problem! I do not know myself about my future!

Maths, physics and economics are all good subjects.
For your 4th id probably do something like geography, history or english literature. They are a bit of a contrast to your other subjects, which could be useful especially if you arent sure what you want to do. Plus they are more essay based compared to your other subjects.
Reply 7
Original post by Nirvana27
Further Maths at AS level will become very useful if you later decide to pursue Maths or Physics. If you later decide to do Maths at uni many courses require at least AS further maths if it was provided at your school.

Lol what? No university requires for you to do further maths in order to study maths at degree level not even cambridge has that requirement. They only ever require for you to have taken maths at A-level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vyres
Lol what? No university requires for you to do further maths in order to study maths at degree level, not even Cambridge has this requirement. They only ever require for you to have taken maths at A-level.

Whilst students whom only have Maths at A2 are accepted, students who have taken further maths are often preferred.
Reply 9
Whilst students whom only have Maths at A2 are accepted, students who have taken further maths are often preferred.

Preferred and required are two very different things.
Original post by Vyres
Lol what? No university requires for you to do further maths in order to study maths at degree level not even cambridge has this requirement. They only ever require for you to have taken maths at A-level.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/g100
Warwick for example do require further maths at A2, I'd be very careful with generalising all universities.
Reply 11
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/g100
Warwick for example do require further maths at A2, I'd be very careful with generalising all universities.

What's your point exactly? Warwick is one university out of hundreds. The vast majority of universities don't require you to do further maths.
Reply 12
Original post by Vyres
Lol what? No university requires for you to do further maths in order to study maths at degree level not even cambridge has that requirement. They only ever require for you to have taken maths at A-level.

Some top uni's have it as a requirement and even if it isn't they will want you to do STEP II and III or the MAT, and if someone has the ability to do well in these then I think they will want to do A level FM.
Original post by Vyres
What's your point exactly? Warwick is one university out of hundreds. The vast majority of universities don't require you to do further maths.

A sweeping statement, I never claimed that all universities required it, however, I know many who do. But encouraging someone to look into now rather than realising when they apply can only be a good thing.
Reply 14
Original post by B_9710
Some top uni's have it as a requirement and even if it isn't they will want you to do STEP II and III or the MAT, and if someone has the ability to do well in these then I think they will want to do A level FM.

Not everyone wants to do FM, as they find it to be a waste of an option. You could easily land yourself in a maths degree without it even if it does involving doing STEP II and III.
Reply 15
A sweeping statement, I never claimed that all universities required it, however, I know many who do. But encouraging someone to look into now rather than realising when they apply can only be a good thing.

Fair point.
Reply 16
Original post by Vyres
Not everyone wants to do FM, as they find it to be a waste of an option. You could easily land yourself in a maths degree without it even if it does involving doing STEP II and III.

Why would you do a maths degree without further maths though?
Reply 17
Original post by B_9710
Why would you do a maths degree without further maths though?

Well a lot of people take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Obviously at this point somebody taking those subjects may still unclear about if they want to do a maths degree. So somebody can easily land themself in a maths degree without needing further maths, because they have done just normal maths. Basically people don't always want to do FM incase they have a change of heart (and this also works vice-versa with a science).
Original post by Vyres

I think you have no good knowledge about universities LOL( "_")
Reply 19
Original post by NNB_Herath
I think you have no good knowledge about universities LOL( "_":wink:

Whatever you say kiddo.

Quick Reply

Latest