The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science to Medicine

Probably going to apply to a Biomedical Science degree.

How easy and in what year at university will I be able to transfer to a Medicine degree at the same or a different university?

Also:

If I achieve amazing results in Geography, Chemistry and Biology A Levels, for example: A*A*A* or A*A*A or A*AA, AAA, will I be able to apply for a Medicine degree through adjustment? Also, will I be able to take a gap year and apply to Medicine and get an offer (depsite the fact that I repeated the year 12 year)?
1) I would be careful as some medical schools do not have a transfer scheme and the ones that do are very competitve and would only uarantee you an interview most of the time rather than put you directly onto the course. Ones that I know of that allow transfers are BSMS, St Georges, maybe Barts... Plus, transfer would most often be after you complete your degree, by which you may not want to do medicine or may want to apply for graduate entry (that being said biomed at sussex has a transfer scheme after year 1 of biomed and another for after year 3)

2) Most medical schools don't often places through clearing so you would have to research or email particular universities for that information. But medical schools give out more offers than places so it's likely they would be full

3) You can definitely take a gap year and re-apply. As you have re-done year 12 though your options are somewhat limited. If it was under extenuating circumstances then you can email medical schools and ask them if you can apply. But, most don't accept re-sit students. I know BSMS, possibly Aberdeen accept resits... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies this might help but again you would have to research individual websites

Hope this helps somewhat and whatever degree you choose good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JordanDtsr

How easy and in what year at university will I be able to transfer to a Medicine degree at the same or a different university?

Also:

If I achieve amazing results in Geography, Chemistry and Biology A Levels, for example: A*A*A* or A*A*A or A*AA, AAA, will I be able to apply for a Medicine degree through adjustment? Also, will I be able to take a gap year and apply to Medicine and get an offer (depsite the fact that I repeated the year 12 year)?

It is substantially more difficult to transfer to medicine than go through the normal undergraduate or GEM routes. Usually have very high requirements - usually require to have a very high module marks (Newcastle is 75% in each module I think) and this is in addition to the normal UKCAT, personal statement, voluntary work, etc. requirements and if you jump that hurdle, you still require an interview and you're on a level playing field with the other applicants.

Generally you can't adjust for medicine, and particularly not without a UKCAT score, work experience, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Irukandji5
1) I would be careful as some medical schools do not have a transfer scheme and the ones that do are very competitve and would only uarantee you an interview most of the time rather than put you directly onto the course. Ones that I know of that allow transfers are BSMS, St Georges, maybe Barts... Plus, transfer would most often be after you complete your degree, by which you may not want to do medicine or may want to apply for graduate entry (that being said biomed at sussex has a transfer scheme after year 1 of biomed and another for after year 3)

2) Most medical schools don't often places through clearing so you would have to research or email particular universities for that information. But medical schools give out more offers than places so it's likely they would be full

3) You can definitely take a gap year and re-apply. As you have re-done year 12 though your options are somewhat limited. If it was under extenuating circumstances then you can email medical schools and ask them if you can apply. But, most don't accept re-sit students. I know BSMS, possibly Aberdeen accept resits... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies this might help but again you would have to research individual websites

Hope this helps somewhat and whatever degree you choose good luck with your application :smile:

That was very helpful, thank you for your response.
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
It is substantially more difficult to transfer to medicine than go through the normal undergraduate or GEM routes. Usually have very high requirements - usually require to have a very high module marks (Newcastle is 75% in each module I think) and this is in addition to the normal UKCAT, personal statement, voluntary work, etc. requirements and if you jump that hurdle, you still require an interview and you're on a level playing field with the other applicants.

Generally you can't adjust for medicine, and particularly not without a UKCAT score, work experience, etc.

Thank you for your response, I found it very helpful.
Original post by JordanDtsr

Also:

Hi there!

We've created a page on our site recently, Biomedical Science to Medicine, which details a list of some of the UK universities which allow you to transfer to Medicine after one year. This might be helpful for you!

Hope this helps :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending