The Student Room Group

Can i get into Investment Banking?

I just got my A Level results. And due to extenuated circumstances, i didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I got ABBB and also a B on my EPQ. I got into Sheffield University via clearing, doing Chemical engineering, to hopefully pursue investment banking. However, I've read that front office investment banking requires AAB/ABB, but because I've just about scraped the minimum requirements, and i am worried about my chances of being an investment banker in the future. Are A levels just a way of filtering people who aren't good enough or are they an integral part of the selection process for Banks? How would you rate my chances of getting into a good bank in the frond office? Im just worried that my A Levels aren't up to the level the other candidates'.
Original post by Nomi2812
I just got my A Level results. And due to extenuated circumstances, i didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I got ABBB and also a B on my EPQ. I got into Sheffield University via clearing, doing Chemical engineering, to hopefully pursue investment banking. However, I've read that front office investment banking requires AAB/ABB, but because I've just about scraped the minimum requirements, and i am worried about my chances of being an investment banker in the future. Are A levels just a way of filtering people who aren't good enough or are they an integral part of the selection process for Banks? How would you rate my chances of getting into a good bank in the frond office? Im just worried that my A Levels aren't up to the level the other candidates'.

Yeah, a levels are just a way to sift applicants really. But, they still play a bit of a part if you're being compared to other applicants that are similar to you in terms of experience.

Only setback would be the uni, but it's not huge and people from Sheffield have been successful before in getting into FO. It's mostly down to your drive, work/leadership experience and your ability to get through all the application hurdles now. May as well give it a bash if you think you have what it takes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
[QUOTE=Princepieman;67128866]Yeah, a levels are just a way to sift applicants really. But, they still play a bit of a part if you're being compared to other applicants that are similar to you in terms of experience.

Only setback would be the uni, but it's not huge and people from Sheffield have been successful before in getting into FO. It's mostly down to your drive, work/leadership experience and your ability to get through all the application hurdles now. May as well give it a bash if you think you have what it takes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If A Levels do, as you said, play a part when comparing me to other students, I read that usually investment banks require 320 UCAS points, which is equivalent to ABB, but since I did the EPQ and did an extra A Level, my total UCAS points are 470. So I should be good in terms of that right? Or do the banks not look at UCAS points from EPQ and only take into consideration my top 3 A Levels?
If A Levels do, as you said, play a part when comparing me to other students, I read that usually investment banks require 320 UCAS points, which is equivalent to ABB, but since I did the EPQ and did an extra A Level, my total UCAS points are 470. So I should be good in terms of that right? Or do the banks not look at UCAS points from EPQ and only take into consideration my top 3 A Levels?

I mean they'll see all your grades on your CV anyway when they're sifting, but for application purposes it's mostly just top 3 full a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
[QUOTE=Princepieman;67129844]I mean they'll see all your grades on your CV anyway when they're sifting, but for application purposes it's mostly just top 3 full a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So with my grades, they shouldn't hinder me from getting into investment banking as long as I have the determination to do well in Chem engineering and some good internships?
So with my grades, they shouldn't hinder me from getting into investment banking as long as I have the determination to do well in Chem engineering and some good internships?

Yeah. And of course, leadership stuff like societies, volunteering + networking. Have a friend at Shef who's doing pretty well with I-banking stuff, so when you get on campus gimme a PM and I'll see if he can meet up with ya for a chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you find out you need AAB/ABB?
Original post by kingLAWZA
Where did you find out you need AAB/ABB?

It's usually done on UCAS points, and 300-340 is the range for the banks that have a ucas point filter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's usually done on UCAS points, and 300-340 is the range for the banks that have a ucas point filter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I got three B's that's why i'm curious, going onto a compsci and maths degree

Do you think I should bother retaking my M2 and C4? (Got 60 UMS), when C3 and C4 I got 95 and 80 respectively, I know my M2 was bad as soon as I done it but was annoyed because out of every single A-level exam I revised for it the most, considering I need 38 UMS
Original post by kingLAWZA
Yeah I got three B's that's why i'm curious, going onto a compsci and maths degree

Do you think I should bother retaking my M2 and C4? (Got 60 UMS), when C3 and C4 I got 95 and 80 respectively, I know my M2 was bad as soon as I done it but was annoyed because out of every single A-level exam I revised for it the most, considering I need 38 UMS

If you could reasonably bump it to an A, maybe. But you'd have uni exams to stay on top of too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yeah. And of course, leadership stuff like societies, volunteering + networking. Have a friend at Shef who's doing pretty well with I-banking stuff, so when you get on campus gimme a PM and I'll see if he can meet up with ya for a chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much! Id gladly appreciate all the help i can get. I just want to really get in is all, and by the looks of it, since ive got the A Levels for it, if i put my best efforts into it, i think i should stand a good chance hopefully. Thanks for your help good sir. What did your friend at Sheffield get for his A Levels?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks very much! Id gladly appreciate all the help i can get. I just want to really get in is all, and by the looks of it, since ive got the A Levels for it, if i put my best efforts into it, i think i should stand a good chance hopefully. Thanks for your help good sir. What did your friend at Sheffield get for his A Levels?

AAC, he got 3 spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
AAC, he got 3 spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats the same UCAS points as me then. Anyway you could PM me of a way to contact him? Just want to know more about what I'm getting myself into haha.Could do with knowing info like how likely he is to get a permanent post graduate job in investment banking etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending