The Student Room Group

Doing a Duke of Edinbourough award in year 12 ?

So I'm gonna be starting my A levels in September(presuming my GCSE results haven't completely failed.), and I was thinking of doing the Duke of Edinborough (I can't spell) award. I'd probably go for bronze or silver and I was wondering, would doing the award at the same time as studying for A levels be too much to handle?

I've heard A Levels turn your life to hell(especially chemistry, which I'm planning on taking. Might be screwed there???) and you need to work really, really hard and won't have time for anything else etc,etc.

Is this true?? Or is what I've heard exaggerated? I really do want to take this award because I have pretty much naff all to put on my CV when I apply to University in the "hobbies and interests" part. So, if you could give me a lil' guidance, that'd really help me out.
thanks !
Reply 1
No I wouldn't think so.

DofE doesn't take up much of your free time. You often fill most of the sections (volunteering, sport, skill etc.) with actions that you currently participate in. For example, to fill in your skill section you could (if you, i dunno, play the harp) just write down playing an instrument. Having said that, I've just finished my first year of sixth form and having taken chemistry a-level, I can assure you it is very hard and you may well have to put in large amounts of time dedicated to self-study on weekends and after school.

However, would it be possible for you to skip bronze and silver and go straight to gold? Gold is normally what year 12 students do (I think) and would probably (in my opinion) be more of a "heavily-weighted" extracurricular activity than bronze or silver.

Good luck with your results and hope this helps!
Original post by james.sp
No I wouldn't think so.

DofE doesn't take up much of your free time. You often fill most of the sections (volunteering, sport, skill etc.) with actions that you currently participate in. For example, to fill in your skill section you could (if you, i dunno, play the harp) just write down playing an instrument. Having said that, I've just finished my first year of sixth form and having taken chemistry a-level, I can assure you it is very hard and you may well have to put in large amounts of time dedicated to self-study on weekends and after school.

However, would it be possible for you to skip bronze and silver and go straight to gold? Gold is normally what year 12 students do (I think) and would probably (in my opinion) be more of a "heavily-weighted" extracurricular activity than bronze or silver.

Good luck with your results and hope this helps!

Thank you for this, James !
Reply 3
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
So I'm gonna be starting my A levels in September(presuming my GCSE results haven't completely failed.), and I was thinking of doing the Duke of Edinborough (I can't spell) award. I'd probably go for bronze or silver and I was wondering, would doing the award at the same time as studying for A levels be too much to handle?

I've heard A Levels turn your life to hell(especially chemistry, which I'm planning on taking. Might be screwed there???) and you need to work really, really hard and won't have time for anything else etc,etc.

Is this true?? Or is what I've heard exaggerated? I really do want to take this award because I have pretty much naff all to put on my CV when I apply to University in the "hobbies and interests" part. So, if you could give me a lil' guidance, that'd really help me out.
thanks !

Hey! I've just finished year 12 and i'm most of the way through my gold d of e, I have done bronze and silver. I agree its definitely manageable! you'll also find its nice to do different things and the expeditions are great fun, however gold is achieveable in a year so I would recommend doing silver now as it is tough to go straight to gold and often seen as a cheat option a little! All are really challenging as its something different but they're so worthwhile! Best of luck with gcse results and whatever you decide to do!
Original post by (h)ell
Hey! I've just finished year 12 and i'm most of the way through my gold d of e, I have done bronze and silver. I agree its definitely manageable! you'll also find its nice to do different things and the expeditions are great fun, however gold is achieveable in a year so I would recommend doing silver now as it is tough to go straight to gold and often seen as a cheat option a little! All are really challenging as its something different but they're so worthwhile! Best of luck with gcse results and whatever you decide to do!

This sounds great; thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending