The Student Room Group

A level Choices

I'm hoping to become a languages teacher, so obviously I'll be doing french and german for two of my A levels. I'm not sure about the other two though! I was thinking Classical Civilisation and Economics, but my parents aren't happy with that and say I need to do Maths so I "have a backup".. I'm not planning on needing a backup, but anyway...do I need to do maths or do you think CC and Economics are good enough backups?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure what you mean by a "backup" but I'd absolutely recommend you do what you want to do, not what your parents want you do. I've just finished AS maths and am carrying it through to A2 and if you don't like it as GCSE I would recommend it for A level. There's a *lot* of emphasis on algebra and graphs so if you didn't enjoy those at GCSE, you're not going to enjoy A level.

I never did classics or economics myself but have only ever heard good things about classical civilisation from three of my friends that do it. There's a lot of essay writing and sources and things, much like GCSE, but just more of it, so I've heard

With your university choice, that'll probably change at some point and may change back. When I enrolled at my sixth form I said my intention was to study physics at university, failing that English Language. Within two weeks, I dropped physics and I still don't enjoy English and will be applying to study psychology at university instead, so it's good to keep an open mind about these things but I see no reason why you'd need a "backup" university option.

So long as you're getting the grades you need in assessments and such like in your languages, and they reflect the entry requirements of the university(ies) you want to study at, you'll be fine. You'll do your university research/personal statement etc. next summer and send your application off winter 2017. There's really no opportunity to change subjects as soon as your application is set in motion (given you only get one personal statement for five choices) unless you delay a year and reapply for 2019 entry instead so I'd just say go for the languages.

I assume you mean your parents want you to have maths as a backup option so you could pursue that at university of languages don't work out, but if you want to apply for the top 30 or so universities in the country, an A level in further mathematics is an absolute must or you'll be severely disadvantaged. Some universities I've seen won't consider your application unless you have maths AND further maths. I considered studying it when I dropped physics but decided against it for this reason.

Hope this helps, and do what you want to study, not what your parents think you should

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahly
I'm hoping to become a languages teacher, so obviously I'll be doing french and german for two of my A levels. I'm not sure about the other two though! I was thinking Classical Civilisation and Economics, but my parents aren't happy with that and say I need to do Maths so I "have a backup".. I'm not planning on needing a backup, but anyway...do I need to do maths or do you think CC and Economics are good enough backups?

Unless your parents are also language teachers you don't listen to them. I recommend having a balance of what you need and what you enjoy. For example I need ICT and Performing Arts (Drama) for the job I want (I want to be a radio presenter). While I'm picking Music as my third subject because I'm passionate about music and enjoy it. Don't let others choose your future. I'm also choosing next week. Good Luck!
Reply 3
Original post by JakeMuttitt
I'm not sure what you mean by a "backup" but I'd absolutely recommend you do what you want to do, not what your parents want you do. I've just finished AS maths and am carrying it through to A2 and if you don't like it as GCSE I would recommend it for A level. There's a *lot* of emphasis on algebra and graphs so if you didn't enjoy those at GCSE, you're not going to enjoy A level.

I never did classics or economics myself but have only ever heard good things about classical civilisation from three of my friends that do it. There's a lot of essay writing and sources and things, much like GCSE, but just more of it, so I've heard

With your university choice, that'll probably change at some point and may change back. When I enrolled at my sixth form I said my intention was to study physics at university, failing that English Language. Within two weeks, I dropped physics and I still don't enjoy English and will be applying to study psychology at university instead, so it's good to keep an open mind about these things but I see no reason why you'd need a "backup" university option.

So long as you're getting the grades you need in assessments and such like in your languages, and they reflect the entry requirements of the university(ies) you want to study at, you'll be fine. You'll do your university research/personal statement etc. next summer and send your application off winter 2017. There's really no opportunity to change subjects as soon as your application is set in motion (given you only get one personal statement for five choices) unless you delay a year and reapply for 2019 entry instead so I'd just say go for the languages.

I assume you mean your parents want you to have maths as a backup option so you could pursue that at university of languages don't work out, but if you want to apply for the top 30 or so universities in the country, an A level in further mathematics is an absolute must or you'll be severely disadvantaged. Some universities I've seen won't consider your application unless you have maths AND further maths. I considered studying it when I dropped physics but decided against it for this reason.

Hope this helps, and do what you want to study, not what your parents think you should

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I do enjoy maths, and am quite good at it, having done Further Maths at GCSE level, I just don't want to continue, because there's no way I will ever do a maths degree, and even if I wanted to change and do finance/accounting, very few of the courses I have looked at require a maths A level. I think my parents seem to see CC as a "soft" option.
Reply 4
Original post by Squishy Pixelz
Unless your parents are also language teachers you don't listen to them. I recommend having a balance of what you need and what you enjoy. For example I need ICT and Performing Arts (Drama) for the job I want (I want to be a radio presenter). While I'm picking Music as my third subject because I'm passionate about music and enjoy it. Don't let others choose your future. I'm also choosing next week. Good Luck!

Good luck to you too! Are you nervous about GCSE results?
Good luck to you too! Are you nervous about GCSE results?

A bit although my situation is slightly different. I spent the last year doing a BTEC while repeating English so I had to get the BTEC results a few days ago and now I'm only waiting for English. I hope I didn't fail it again
Reply 6
I'm not totally against maths, but I am totally against doing maths instead of CC. I really don't like english so that"s definitely on the cards. Would CC be an okay substitute for history?
Reply 7
Thanks. I've been trying to, but they said even though I'm doing 2 langs, it only counts as one "facilitating subject". The way I look at it, even if I don't end up teaching languages, Economics and Languages degree/A levels could get me quite a few places. And maths isn't even a requirement for most finance/accounting courses I've seen.
Would that be right?
Thanks! I do enjoy maths, and am quite good at it, having done Further Maths at GCSE level, I just don't want to continue, because there's no way I will ever do a maths degree, and even if I wanted to change and do finance/accounting, very few of the courses I have looked at require a maths A level. I think my parents seem to see CC as a "soft" option.

Well, I chose English Language, psychology, maths and physics with the intention of doing physics a university. Physics is about as hardcore as it gets and two weeks in I realised I hated it and swapped it for Media Studies which is the complete opposite of physics in every sense (and I've now dropped it for A2). I don't regret taking it as a soft subject as it was a nice breather from my other courses. No harm at all in having a 'soft' subject (though I wouldn't say CC is that soft). If you're set on languages, for your fourth choice absolutely take something you think you will enjoy and won't find stressful. Because I had media and that's as soft as it gets but I got good grades and am now in a position to hopefully go on to study psychology at university next year. Go for what you feel will make you happy, because inevitably that will lead to you being more comfortable and getting better grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by JakeMuttitt
Well, I chose English Language, psychology, maths and physics with the intention of doing physics a university. Physics is about as hardcore as it gets and two weeks in I realised I hated it and swapped it for Media Studies which is the complete opposite of physics in every sense (and I've now dropped it for A2). I don't regret taking it as a soft subject as it was a nice breather from my other courses. No harm at all in having a 'soft' subject (though I wouldn't say CC is that soft). If you're set on languages, for your fourth choice absolutely take something you think you will enjoy and won't find stressful. Because I had media and that's as soft as it gets but I got good grades and am now in a position to hopefully go on to study psychology at university next year. Go for what you feel will make you happy, because inevitably that will lead to you being more comfortable and getting better grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, thanks! So you wouldn't say I need maths for a "backup" then in case I decided against languages after A level?
Hi there, I'm just about to go into Year 13 taking French, German and Classics for A2, and I'm going to apply for languages, Classics is absolutely not a soft option! It's highly regarded, it shows that you can analyse literature and honestly it helped me with English literature AS a load
Classics is a great subject, took me a few lessons to get used to but I love it, and honestly I think its a great choice
That's great, thanks! So you wouldn't say I need maths for a "backup" then in case I decided against languages after A level?

Unless you feel passionate enough about maths to feel you could do a degree in it if you do decide against languages, no. I'd say pursue classics as your backup if that's what you enjoy, though I'd urge looking at some ancient civilisation/classics courses on university websites and seeing what subjects they like you to have. But just because I went off physics, there's no reason to see why you wouldn't end up studying languages if you enjoy them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ElmoActor14
Hi there, I'm just about to go into Year 13 taking French, German and Classics for A2, and I'm going to apply for languages, Classics is absolutely not a soft option! It's highly regarded, it shows that you can analyse literature and honestly it helped me with English literature AS a load
Classics is a great subject, took me a few lessons to get used to but I love it, and honestly I think its a great choice

Thanks!

Economics is a good a-level to do. Im not sure about classical civilisation though. Id possibly look into doing maths, english literature, history, geography or something similar.
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
Economics is a good a-level to do. Im not sure about classical civilisation though. Id possibly look into doing maths, english literature, history, geography or something similar.

Any reason?
Any reason?

Mainly because classical civilization isnt as well known as some of the other subjects.
Reply 16
Mainly because classical civilization isnt as well known as some of the other subjects.

But even if I don't want to do maths you're saying I should?
But even if I don't want to do maths you're saying I should?

Maths is a highly respected subject, and unis really like it. It is also useful for many career areas.
Reply 18
Maths is a highly respected subject, and unis really like it. It is also useful for many career areas.

Yeah I get that, what I'm asking is would you really recommend something I won't love and work my hardest for over something I'm passionate about doing and will definitely put my all in?
Reply 19

My advice would be to definitely not do Maths, the most important thing to make sure before studying at any level is that you enjoy and want to do the subject(s). Never study something just because other people have told you to do so or because it's a popular subject.

If you're goal is to become a languages teacher then those subjects look good to me, other considerations might be History or English (either).

Quick Reply

Latest