The Student Room Group

Changing addresses on bank account, etc. when going to uni

I'm moving to Aberystywth from London in a few weeks to go to uni and I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to change my addresses on my bank account, driving licence, etc. to my halls address, or to leave it as my parents' address i.e. what have other people usually done?

Is there any legal requirement to change these when I move? I'm aware it's probably not urgent but I may as well check if I should.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Bonoahx
I'm moving to Aberystywth from London in a few weeks to go to uni and I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to change my addresses on my bank account, driving licence, etc. to my halls address, or to leave it as my parents' address i.e. what have other people usually done?

Is there any legal requirement to change these when I move? I'm aware it's probably not urgent but I may as well check if I should.

Thanks

It definitely isn't a legal requirement and I even set up my Student Account up with my home address, not my term-time address :smile: I did this because I knew my term-time address would be changing each academic year and home address wouldn't be.
Original post by Bonoahx

Thanks

you'd still be technically classed as living at your parents (I'm assuming that's where you'd go for holidays etc) as far as I'm aware there's no legal requirement to change your address if you still live at your parents for half the year - unless you'd find it easier for bills etc. I had my parents address on everything since I went to uni at 18 it's only now 9 years and 6 house moves later that I updated it as I'd always either been at uni or going back there to live between degrees/jobs etc.*
Changing it could be handy as then you have proof of address for things like picking up parcels and the like.
Sorry when I said legal requirement I meant for my driving licence, I'm aware that there isn't as big an issue with other things. I didn't think about picking up parcels - could the rental agreement or whatever be proof of address?

Also I might be overthinking but say I lost my debit card and had to call up Santander and get it replaced, would they only send it to my address in London or could I get it sent to their Aberystwyth branch? I don't have that much a problem with the hassle of getting change of address forms.
a) No legal requirement to change your driver's license - your uni address (particularly halls) are 'temporary' or 'term-time', whereas your parents is classed as your 'permanent' address.
b) Rental agreements will count as proof of address with most things.
c) If you lose your card you can go to a branch and get an 'emergency replacement' with most banks - they'll print it (or however they make them!) while you wait. If you cancel with the app or online it will automatically get sent to the registered address, but your parents can simply put a line through the address and write 'Redirect to: ......' with your uni address and it'll be sent on free of charge.
Original post by Annie20951
a) No legal requirement to change your driver's license - your uni address (particularly halls) are 'temporary' or 'term-time', whereas your parents is classed as your 'permanent' address.
b) Rental agreements will count as proof of address with most things.
c) If you lose your card you can go to a branch and get an 'emergency replacement' with most banks - they'll print it (or however they make them!) while you wait. If you cancel with the app or online it will automatically get sent to the registered address, but your parents can simply put a line through the address and write 'Redirect to: ......' with your uni address and it'll be sent on free of charge.

This.
Having two bank account is good so if it were me I'd leave me original bank account and driver's licence whilst creating another student account with a different bank and providing a term time address for this. I would say that it's not a good idea to move official things to a temporary address, as changing them is a fair amount of work and the transition process can take several weeks.

TL;DR: You don't want your bank documents going to a student address you've moved from although having a branch you can go to in your university town is good - might as well set up a second bank account (although good to keep some money aside if you know your due charges in your main account).
Original post by isitisisitis
might as well set up a second bank account

For what?
Original post by isitisisitis
Having two bank account is good so if it were me I'd leave me original bank account and driver's licence whilst creating another student account with a different bank and providing a term time address for this. I would say that it's not a good idea to move official things to a temporary address, as changing them is a fair amount of work and the transition process can take several weeks.

TL;DR: You don't want your bank documents going to a student address you've moved from although having a branch you can go to in your university town is good - might as well set up a second bank account (although good to keep some money aside if you know your due charges in your main account).

I'm pretty sure you can go to any branch of your bank and not just the one you opened the account with, so pretty sute that should be fine.

But thanks everyone for the responses, clarified a lot!
Something to be aware of is that if you are changing your bank account address every year, it complicates your credit report and can be seen as a negative by creditors as it shows instability.
What about car insurance, has anyone been told their insurance is not valid if taken to university due to the permanent address clause?
Original post by Annie20951
For what?

It can be useful having a second account. Personally i prefer not having to carry my debit card around all the time, which is linked to my maintenance loan. It means I can put X amount of ££’s in the second bank account to last say 1-2 weeks so i know it has to last. Just helps with budgeting /avoiding overspending :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending