The Student Room Group

‘Borders are the worst invention’ Deluded Juncker says MORE EU is cure to nationalism

Heavily-criticised Jean-Claude Juncker has claimed the EU is an antidote to rising nationalism in Europe and raged there are grave consequences when countries put themselves first.

The top Brussels Bureaucrat quoted former French president Francois Mitterrand as saying nationalism added to nationalism would end in war. He said: “This is still true so we have to fight against nationalism.”

Mr Juncker aded: “We have to fight against nationalism, we have the duty not to follow populists but to block the avenue of populists.”

Speaking at Alpbach Media Academy Mr Juncker also called for the opening of all borders.

He said: “Borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians.”

Solidarity, he said, must be given to refugees and their children.

Mr Juncker used Brexit as an example of a crisis which must be overcome by the remaining member states working as one.

He said: “In the concentration of globalisation and European problems, we must not lose our way.

The president described the situation as an “unheard-of political crisis” for the Union.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/702556/EU-president-Juncker-Borders-worst-invention
Reply 1
When you lead the world's second-largest multinational organisation, then yeah, you're not going to get very far by supporting nationalisim. You wouldn't hear the CEO of Coca-cola saying that Pepsi actually tastes pretty decent.
how did I know this was going to be the express from the title :rolleyes:
Borders weren't invented by politicians. At the end of the day, humans are animals. Animals have terroritories.

That aside, I don't think free movement between civilised countries is a bad thing. Keeping out mirgrants from muslim countries makes sense though.
Totally agree, I hate the notion of patriotism as it just fuels racism and hate.

However, even animals have and rival over territory and it would be difficult to govern and in force law on places without boards.

I didn't read the top post so if this is way off topic i apologise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nationalism is useful for people who do not want to adapt to change: for example, small business owners who don't like foreigners entering their shop(s).

Of course it completely falls apart when confronted with an issue that actually matters like global warming.
Thank god we're getting out of the nonsense that European politicians like Juncker are pushing for. What utter, deluded bs.
Reply 7
What a foolish idiot
Original post by Dez
When you lead the world's second-largest multinational organisation, then yeah, you're not going to get very far by supporting nationalisim. You wouldn't hear the CEO of Coca-cola saying that Pepsi actually tastes pretty decent.

You say that but the EU only exists because it's a collection of well developed nation states. Sure lets get rid of borders, we can get rid of taxes too, maybe get rid of a lot of the red tape associated with nation states, police, army, central banks, maybe we should allow people to have private armies, and none of that top down legal system either.
Original post by LillyB14
Totally agree, I hate the notion of patriotism as it just fuels racism and hate.

However, even animals have and rival over territory and it would be difficult to govern and in force law on places without boards.

I didn't read the top post so if this is way off topic i apologise

Posted from TSR Mobile

National identity probably reduces racism because it gives people a sense of collective belonging across a delineation other than ethnic lines. I'm British like Mo Farah right up until I decide that my race is more important than my passport.
Reply 10
THe EU will become a third world cesspit
He loves digging himself deeper doesn't he?
Reply 12
Mans a nut job
Hey if i could say whatever i want whilst keeping hold of my massively powerful position and pocketing an obscene amount of money, i think i might just be clicking buttons aswell. Well in JC jruncky
Original post by Newz
Mans a nut job

He reminds me of Jacques Delors. Always remember the now iconic Sun headline, "Up Yours Delors". He was told about the article and newspaper headline later, and exactly what it meant. Seem to remember he wasn't too pleased. The man was a gobshite.

Quick Reply