The Student Room Group

Advice on whether to come study in the UK (int. student)

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I don't really know where to post this.

I'm an EU student and I've got a place for PPE (which I intend to change to Economics) at the uni of York for the upcoming academic year. My firm choice was Warwick, for the same course, but I missed their offer and thus endend up at my insurance.

I've recently been thinking about whether to actually take and leave to study in the UK or not. I like York and I love the idea of studying there; I am sure that my experience as a student would be much better than in Italy. Point is, Italian universities charge a relatively small amount of fees compared to those in the UK, which would leave me paying 9000 pounds a year + living expenses + loan interests, which is quite a lot. My reason for coming to York to study, aside from the wonderful experience, would be to have, eventually, a clear advantage in terms of career prospects compared to Italian graduates.

I know that Warwick has plenty of contacts with the industry and the world of finance, but I'm not too sure about York, to be honest. It indeed is a top university, but would the extra money be worth it, in the long run? Italian universities are not that good and won't give you the resources to help you with your career, but, again, they do cost much less.

I understand that you can't have that much knowledge about my country and be able make proper comparisons, but I still would like to hear your opinion, especially since you might actually know about York's reputation and employment prospects better than me.

Thanks for any advice :smile:!
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that although cost and career advantages afterwards are important factors, you should go where you are happiest ultimately. Which course will you enjoy better? Which city do you prefer? Would you benefit from experiencing another culture or be better on home ground?
Reply 2
Original post by Adrono
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I don't really know where to post this.

I'm an EU student and I've got a place for PPE (which I intend to change to Economics) at the uni of York for the upcoming academic year. My firm choice was Warwick, for the same course, but I missed their offer and thus endend up at my insurance.

I've recently been thinking about whether to actually take and leave to study in the UK or not. I like York and I love the idea of studying there; I am sure that my experience as a student would be much better than in Italy. Point is, Italian universities charge a relatively small amount of fees compared to those in the UK, which would leave me paying 9000 pounds a year + living expenses + loan interests, which is quite a lot. My reason for coming to York to study, aside from the wonderful experience, would be to have, eventually, a clear advantage in terms of career prospects compared to Italian graduates.

I know that Warwick has plenty of contacts with the industry and the world of finance, but I'm not too sure about York, to be honest. It indeed is a top university, but would the extra money be worth it, in the long run? Italian universities are not that good and won't give you the resources to help you with your career, but, again, they do cost much less.

I understand that you can't have that much knowledge about my country and be able make proper comparisons, but I still would like to hear your opinion, especially since you might actually know about York's reputation and employment prospects better than me.

Thanks for any advice :smile:!

Do you intend to stay in the UK after graduating or go back to Italy?
Reply 3
Original post by inhuman
Do you intend to stay in the UK after graduating or go back to Italy?

I think I'd be staying in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Adrono
I think I'd be staying in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That complicates matters a bit. If not I would for sure have advised staying in Italy.

Maybe pick an Italian university with an exchange program?

Unless you are going to Oxbridge, maybe ICL/LSE, I would not consider £9k a year price tag worthwhile.
Reply 5
Original post by inhuman
That complicates matters a bit. If not I would for sure have advised staying in Italy.

Maybe pick an Italian university with an exchange program?

Unless you are going to Oxbridge, maybe ICL/LSE, I would not consider £9k a year price tag worthwhile.

Why? You think York's reputation is not good enough to have a succesful career in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Adrono
Why? You think York's reputation is not good enough to have a succesful career in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I am sure it is. The question is whether it's worth the huge amount of money in comparison to a university in your home country.
Reply 7
Original post by inhuman
Oh I am sure it is. The question is whether it's worth the huge amount of money in comparison to a university in your home country.

I am prone to say yes. The way you put your answer, though, it sounded like employers in the UK will snob you unless you studied at certain universities like the ones you mentioned, as you said that staying there would complicate matters a bit. Besides I have to be completely sure in a couple of hours or my room offer is gonna expire. I'm most likely going to accept it :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Adrono
I am prone to say yes. The way you put your answer, though, it sounded like employers in the UK will snob you unless you studied at certain universities like the ones you mentioned, as you said that staying there would complicate matters a bit. Besides I have to decide in a couple of hours or my room offer is gonna expire heh. I think I'll accept it :smile:.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by inhuman
Good luck :smile:

Thanks! But do tell me haha did I interpret your answer correctly?
Reply 10
Original post by Adrono
Thanks! But do tell me haha did I interpret your answer correctly?

No. The ones I mentioned might be a little exclamation mark. But the others, in the end there is most likely no discernible difference between having gone to any of the other top unis. Go to Durham or York, Nottingham or Bristol, Warwick or UCL, they are all good unis. They will be better than a uni outside the top 50. But between each other? You are naive to think it makes a difference. People look at rankings so much and I understand it, it's cool to say oh look I came 6th with my uni you were 9th, but objectively...
Reply 11
Original post by inhuman
No. The ones I mentioned might be a little exclamation mark. But the others, in the end there is most likely no discernible difference between having gone to any of the other top unis. Go to Durham or York, Nottingham or Bristol, Warwick or UCL, they are all good unis. They will be better than a uni outside the top 50. But between each other? You are naive to think it makes a difference. People look at rankings so much and I understand it, it's cool to say oh look I came 6th with my uni you were 9th, but objectively...

I undersrand. Thanks for clarifying, your point of view is reassuring. If thought that way, then the advantage compared to italian universities is significant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending