The Student Room Group

Would you take a subject at A-level if you didn't do that well at it in GCSE?

This poll is closed

Would you pursue a subject at A-level if you didn't do that well in it at GCSE?

Yes 38%
No62%
Total votes: 13
Let's say that you love maths, and you really want to pursue it for A-levels or even at degree level, would you still pursue the subject if you didn't do that well in it at GCSE? Let's be honest here, if you really want to study that one subject you love at A-level, you'd expect to get at least an A/A* at GCSE, however if you only got a B, would you still take it for A-levels? It would be interesting to find out what some of you think about this matter/ if you have any of your own stories involving this matter.

NOTE: The scenario above is just an example, you can substitute the "maths" for any other subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
So many people in my year who got A's in GCSE maths dropped AS Maths early. It is difficult as hell or so I've heard and it is easier said than done to work hard and do well in it. Proceed with caution
Reply 2
Original post by Kyle1198
So many people in my year who got A's in GCSE maths dropped AS Maths early. It is difficult as hell or so I've heard and it is easier said than done to work hard and do well in it. Proceed with caution

The whole maths thing in my post was just an example. It can be substituted for any other subject.
Reply 3
If you want to pursue a subject to degree level then you'd have to take it at A level.
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
If you want to pursue a subject to degree level then you'd have to take it at A level.

You're missing the point. The point of this thread is asking you if you'd still pursue a subject at A-level/degree level if you did bad at it in GCSE level.
Reply 5
Original post by Vyres
You're missing the point. The point of this thread is asking you if you'd still pursue a subject at A-level/degree level if you did bad at it in GCSE level.

If you really wanted to do the subject further then yes. You can improve from GCSE.
Depends on the subject and the person. A subject like maths usually requires at least a B at gcse. But other subjects might not require anything. Someone got a d or an e at gcse and still took it for Alevel.
It depends how hard you worked to get the GCSE grade. If you did no work and got a B, then you could probably succeed at A level maths with hard work. But if you worked really hard and still got a B, then i'd definitely avoid taking it as you wont be able to cope.
Reply 8
I wouldn't have, no.
I think I'd have to carefully analyse why I failed to get those grades, and choose based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All qualifications are different. It is possible to take a subject at A level having never studied it before. Ditto subjects and undergraduate and even postgraduate level.

For example, A levels in some performing arts courses can ask for very specific aims to be met whereas a BTEC in the same subject can be more holistic which means you can play to your strengths.
Not many a level courses cross paths with information taught at gcse unless it is the sciences, geography etc. I would say yes to picking the subject as gcse does not really outline your talent in the subject as it is very basic. As long as one would be willing to put hard work in and have a passion for the subject i see no reason why they shouldnt pick it based on their result at gcse. That said, usually if you wanted to pick a subject at a level you would make sure you did the best to your ability in it at gcse
It depends. If I had done badly in a subject knowing that I could have done a lot better then I wouldn't let it bother me. However, if it was the opposite, then I wouldn't risk it :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest