The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BlueSparkleDust
I'm also hoping to apply for GEM 2017. The UKCAT is my biggest concern though as I didn't do well in it at all last time. Preparation is going better this time but I am struggling with quantitative reasoning :/

Hey BlueSparkleDust,

Here is a couple of things I would suggest for improving your QR score:

1) Answer EVERYTHING. (a complete guess has a 20% probability of being correct, but if you can eliminate 2 answers for being clearly incorrect a guess between the other answers will have a 33% probability of being correct)
2) Appreciate that some questions are deliberately very long and that spending 2 minutes calculating one answer will lead to you running out of time later on
3) Practice your mental arithmetic (BBC Bitesize GCSE actually covers most of the maths that you will likely encounter in the UKCAT)
4) As the 'Decision Making' Subtest in unmarked, use this time to note down any formulas you may need to apply during the QR section to accelerate your speed of calculation.
Reply 21
Hey, just wondering if most AR relationships are single patterns or 2 or 3 per set. Im worried about finding 1 but the other one knocking 3 marks off per question! On 6med ukcat ninja i had 85% and now medify has dropped closer to 72% due to this problem. Also will the national average drop this year as VR makes up more of the average or will it go up as people focus their attention on less sections?

Thanks
For the GEP- Is a UKCAT score of 700 too low? Also do graduates have to sit GAMSAT?
Original post by Boss987
Anyone???

Hey, I think I am going to apply this year aswell

GCSE: 5A* 3A 1B 1C (design and tech :angry:)
UKCAT: 740 AVG
hopefully 3 A or A* predictions

I dont know how good a chance i have of being accepted though

how did you do on the UKCAT if youve sat it?
Reply 24
Original post by medicapplicant
Hey, I think I am going to apply this year aswell

GCSE: 5A* 3A 1B 1C (design and tech :angry:)
UKCAT: 740 AVG
hopefully 3 A or A* predictions

I dont know how good a chance i have of being accepted though

how did you do on the UKCAT if youve sat it?

If you dont get an interview id be astounded
Reply 25
Original post by megbarber2016
I definitely want to apply this year.

GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B (art...)
A-level: predicted A*A*AA
UKCAT: 2310 (770 average)

Does this give me a decent chance?
Also, does anyone know if Newcastle looks at personal statement prior to interview?

Very good chance - you'll likely almost definitely get an interview with that UKCAT (but obviously nothing is ever 100%). Newcastle don't use the personal statement at all for selection.
Wag1
GCSEs: 7As 3Bs
UKCAT: 2380 Band 1
AS: BBBB
Predictions: AAA
(edited 7 years ago)
So I presume Newcastle is quite UKCAT heavy, do you think an average of 650 will get me in (honestly) considering everything else about my application is pretty average?
Original post by jenni:)
So I presume Newcastle is quite UKCAT heavy, do you think an average of 650 will get me in (honestly) considering everything else about my application is pretty average?

I'm sorry, but i doing think it'll get you in. Unless the UKCAT average is very low this year, but i doubt it will be, sorry :frown:
Original post by Gogregg
I'm sorry, but i doing think it'll get you in. Unless the UKCAT average is very low this year, but i doubt it will be, sorry :frown:

That's okay, I thought not, thankyou :smile:
Original post by Gogregg

Do you think the national average will go up this year? Hence the Newcastle cut off too? I'm worried that 800 is the new 700
Original post by manlike99
Do you think the national average will go up this year? Hence the Newcastle cut off too? I'm worried that 800 is the new 700

It might do? It's hard to say, and TSR is not the most representative of resources.
People have been finding QR to be quite good, but it is usually the highest section. But then again, people have said that VR is really difficult this year, but it is usually the lowest section.
I can't see 800 being the 'new 700' no way. It's just people that want to share their scores will tend to have done better.

TL;DR It's very difficult to say. Wait until the official statistics have been released to speculate.
Original post by Gogregg
It might do? It's hard to say, and TSR is not the most representative of resources.
People have been finding QR to be quite good, but it is usually the highest section. But then again, people have said that VR is really difficult this year, but it is usually the lowest section.
I can't see 800 being the 'new 700' no way. It's just people that want to share their scores will tend to have done better.

TL;DR It's very difficult to say. Wait until the official statistics have been released to speculate.

I see, thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by NatashaHall
For the GEP- Is a UKCAT score of 700 too low? Also do graduates have to sit GAMSAT?

I've been wondering the same thing. Just got an average of 700 and an SJ band 1. Just graduated with a 2.1 in biomedical science and really want to apply for graduate entry here but not sure if I stand a good enough chance of getting an interview?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply 34
Original post by NatashaHall

You don't need to sit the GAMSAT for the GEP at Newcastle. Your UKCAT score would no doubt be good enough for the 5-year programme but last year they had more than 1100 applicants for 25 places on the 40year course and the UKCAT cut-off was very close to 700. This year's UKCAT cut-off may be above or below 700 depending on how the other Newcastle GEP applicants score, it would say that your score may not quite be enough for Newcastle, but it could land just on the right side of the cut-off this year. Have you considered a GEP with more applicant places? Warwick accepts about 170 students per year and tends to have a lower UKCAT cut-off as they have fewer applicants per place.
This year do you still think they'll accept a lower UKCAT if you're on the partners scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by michaela__
This year do you still think they'll accept a lower UKCAT if you're on the partners scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

on their website theres a video about it. it said they sometimes accept a lower uckat if you have really high a levels. I dunno what to really make of that to be honest but they said its quite rare. although the website is yet to be updated for 2017 so I'm lost myself. we will have to wait and see I guess :frown:
Original post by chrisdale98
on their website theres a video about it. it said they sometimes accept a lower uckat if you have really high a levels. I dunno what to really make of that to be honest but they said its quite rare. although the website is yet to be updated for 2017 so I'm lost myself. we will have to wait and see I guess :frown:

That's annoying :frown: thank you though I guess we'll have to keep an eye out. Last year I remember a lot of partners scheme applicants getting in with a lower ukcat on the Newcastle thread though 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by michaela__
That's annoying :frown: thank you though I guess we'll have to keep an eye out. Last year I remember a lot of partners scheme applicants getting in with a lower ukcat on the Newcastle thread though 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope i get in with lower ukcat, i doubt ill average much over 700
Original post by chrisdale98
I hope i get in with lower ukcat, i doubt ill average much over 700

I doubt I'll average over 600 lmao, I hope the partners scheme works out so I can get an interview or I've completely wasted an option ffs😭 keep me updated with your ukcat though because I'm interested in what decision you make about partners as I'll have to do the same ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending