The Student Room Group

How to get an a* in A-Level maths?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could contribute and bring forward any helpful tips/experience regarding how to achieve an a* in A-Level maths, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

You need 90% average for C3 and C4, as well as 80% average for all units.
Original post by metaljoe
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could contribute and bring forward any helpful tips/experience regarding how to achieve an a* in A-Level maths, anything would be greatly appreciated!

Achieve average 90+ UMS across C3/4 while achieving average 80+ UMS in the rest of the modules. Practice is key. Do whatever you need to in order to achieve this.

I just found out I got an A* on thursday! My advice is to work hard in class to understand the underlying principles on the topic so you can apply your knowledge to hard questions.

Apart from that, just do past papers and keep your knowledge fresh. Im sure you can do it!
Is your exam board Edexcel?
www.examsolutions.net/

Do as many past papers as possible. But don't just waste time on questions you already know how to answer, seek out the more challenging ones that require more thinking. Make sure you aren't just memorising types of questions, understand the concepts fully so you can apply them to any question they throw at you. That's all there is to it.
Reply 6

Ah, A Level Maths. It's one of those A level where the content is easy to learn but harder to apply. First things first, you need to make sure you understand all the fundamentals and then do as much practice as you possibly can. That means, do as many of the past papers as you can do, even going back and doing the ones from 2005 or something; one of the questions this year was essentially a copy of one they gave to the students back in 2007 (Or some year close to that). So yeah, to keep it short: Learn it and then practice it and you'll do fine :smile:
madas maths papers are really good for both c3 and c4
I just got an A* in edexcel maths :smile:)
If you're just starting AS then I would say don't just aim for an A, try and get full marks in every paper. You might not achieve it, but it will help you out a lot.

If you're starting A2 then it depends on your situation. As you need 90% average in C3 and C4, by achieving them I only needed 20% in my third paper to get an A*. Work out if you are in a similar situation as then you know you can focus less on that one, and more on C3/C4
Practice and keep practicing. Don't limit yourself to past papers from your exam board, do other things such as IYGB Papers because even though the questions might be structured differently to the ones that will come up for you, it tests that you are able to apply your understanding of the maths

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Pinocchiolewis
I just found out I got an A* on thursday! My advice is to work hard in class to understand the underlying principles on the topic so you can apply your knowledge to hard questions.

Apart from that, just do past papers and keep your knowledge fresh. Im sure you can do it!

Thanks for the advice and well done on your grade!!
Reply 10
Original post by AspiringBanker
Is your exam board Edexcel?

Unfortunately not, I am taking OCR MEI.
Reply 11
Original post by Pemble
www.examsolutions.net/

Do as many past papers as possible. But don't just waste time on questions you already know how to answer, seek out the more challenging ones that require more thinking. Make sure you aren't just memorising types of questions, understand the concepts fully so you can apply them to any question they throw at you. That's all there is to it.

Thank you for the help, I tend to ignore further practise on what I find harder in maths, so this is a good key point for me to start implementing.
Reply 12
Original post by Ash8991
Ah, A Level Maths. It's one of those A level where the content is easy to learn but harder to apply. First things first, you need to make sure you understand all the fundamentals and then do as much practice as you possibly can. That means, do as many of the past papers as you can do, even going back and doing the ones from 2005 or something; one of the questions this year was essentially a copy of one they gave to the students back in 2007 (Or some year close to that). So yeah, to keep it short: Learn it and then practice it and you'll do fine :smile:

Cheers, I will make sure to do just that! Also the stronghold games are awesome (I've been playing them since I was five)
Reply 13
Original post by k.russell
madas maths papers are really good for both c3 and c4
I just got an A* in edexcel maths :smile:)

Thank you I shall have a look and well done on your result!!
Reply 14
Original post by jordanshelley97
If you're just starting AS then I would say don't just aim for an A, try and get full marks in every paper. You might not achieve it, but it will help you out a lot.

If you're starting A2 then it depends on your situation. As you need 90% average in C3 and C4, by achieving them I only needed 20% in my third paper to get an A*. Work out if you are in a similar situation as then you know you can focus less on that one, and more on C3/C4
Practice and keep practicing. Don't limit yourself to past papers from your exam board, do other things such as IYGB Papers because even though the questions might be structured differently to the ones that will come up for you, it tests that you are able to apply your understanding of the maths

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!!
Reply 15
Sheet of paper write down every single exam paper that exists for each unit then do them. Then do them a second time this time writing the questions you get wrong. when you are getting 75/75 in them do all the solomon papers, what i did.
Reply 17
Original post by Zas_21
Sheet of paper write down every single exam paper that exists for each unit then do them. Then do them a second time this time writing the questions you get wrong. when you are getting 75/75 in them do all the solomon papers, what i did.

Cheers for the tips!
Reply 18
Original post by TheYearNiner

What?
Guys I will be starting year 12 in September so advice from anyone that got an A* in AQA AS/A2 maths will be highly appreciated:smile: Thanks for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest