The Student Room Group

Where can an English degree take me?

What we'll paying jobs could I get from an English degree? Also, what better degrees (as in better paying prospective jobs) can I get from English Lit and History A-Levels.
Original post by whoisme
What we'll paying jobs could I get from an English degree? Also, what better degrees (as in better paying prospective jobs) can I get from English Lit and History A-Levels.

Type in Job Prospects in a search engine like Google and start your own research there. :smile:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Type in Job Prospects in a search engine like Google and start your own research there. :smile:

I know. I just wanted to take to somebody with experience.
Reply 3
- journalism, media
- teaching- at schools or privately, or at universities, etc.
- advertising, marketing, PR
- writing
- research
- law (after a law conversion)

For art students, it's not about what subject you study, but how you use your degree & talk about your transferable skills.
Original post by loletta
- journalism, media
- teaching- at schools or privately, or at universities, etc.
- advertising, marketing, PR
- writing
- research
- law (after a law conversion)

For art students, it's not about what subject you study, but how you use your degree & talk about your transferable skills.

Thanks. I would love to be a writer but that just doesn't seem realistic to me right now. Marketing and advertising sounds good, and I don't know about law but maybe. This helped though. Thanks again.
Reply 5
Original post by whoisme
Thanks. I would love to be a writer but that just doesn't seem realistic to me right now. Marketing and advertising sounds good, and I don't know about law but maybe. This helped though. Thanks again.

You're welcome :smile:
A lot of writers have 2 jobs (writing and something else) unless they earn enough from writing. Although if you're really keen about concentrating on writing, you could always apply for a grant from Arts Council England (or the equivalent where you live).
Reply 6
Original post by whoisme

English isn't a vocational degree. There are a lot of graduate jobs which don't require a particular academic background—often, employers want to know that you have a degree with a 2.1 or a first, as it shows you can work at something for a while, and they'd like you to have that degree from a decent university, but they're not very interested in what exactly you studied or where you studied it. So there's a huge range of things you could be doing with an English degree—my first job after my degree in English was in medical e-learning.

What can be more important than the topic of your degree is your ability to show that you're interested in whatever field(s) you wind up applying in. This makes getting some kind of experience on your CV during your degree very useful—summer jobs, internships, university societies and so on can be a big advantage. It can help to identify one or two fields you might be interested in early on and see if you can get any opportunities in those. Careers services at universities vary, but many are good, and it's worth checking them out in your first year—they often offer useful advice, and sometimes have good contacts which they can use for you. Try not to stress over career planning, but give yourself an advantage by not leaving it till the end of your third year!
University?
Original post by whoisme

Oh I dunno, the 70-80% of grad jobs that don't ask for a specific degree? If you want monies and are willing to be worked hard, then investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QHF
English isn't a vocational degree. There are a lot of graduate jobs which don't require a particular academic background—often, employers want to know that you have a degree with a 2.1 or a first, as it shows you can work at something for a while, and they'd like you to have that degree from a decent university, but they're not very interested in what exactly you studied or where you studied it. So there's a huge range of things you could be doing with an English degree—my first job after my degree in English was in medical e-learning.

What can be more important than the topic of your degree is your ability to show that you're interested in whatever field(s) you wind up applying in. This makes getting some kind of experience on your CV during your degree very useful—summer jobs, internships, university societies and so on can be a big advantage. It can help to identify one or two fields you might be interested in early on and see if you can get any opportunities in those. Careers services at universities vary, but many are good, and it's worth checking them out in your first year—they often offer useful advice, and sometimes have good contacts which they can use for you. Try not to stress over career planning, but give yourself an advantage by not leaving it till the end of your third year!

Thanks for the advice.
Original post by 04MR17
University?

Yes, university degree.

Quick Reply

Latest