The Student Room Group

Girl I like agreed to go out for a drink with me

a few months ago i met a girl on a night out. shes 5 years older than me but we really hit it off i live in manchester and she lives in london so we added each other on fb so that we can keep in touch. a few months ago i mentioned us going out for a drink together and she said that would be nice. that was about 2 months ago and we have hardly spoken since due to us both going on holiday and being busy anyway i spoke to her last night and mentioned meeting up for a drink and she agreed but said it would have to be in a few weeks as shes busy for the next few weekends.

i dont want to keep messaging her asking when should we go out for a drink so im thinking that i dont mention it again to her until i get paid at the end of next week and then messaging her and saying something like "hey ive been paid so i was going to book a hotel for when youre free?"

how does that sound and does anyone have any other advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
a few months ago i met a girl on a night out. shes 5 years older than me but we really hit it off i live in manchester and she lives in london so we added each other on fb so that we can keep in touch. a few months ago i mentioned us going out for a drink together and she said that would be nice. that was about 2 months ago and we have hardly spoken since due to us both going on holiday and being busy anyway i spoke to her last night and mentioned meeting up for a drink and she agreed but said it would have to be in a few weeks as shes busy for the next few weekends.

i dont want to keep messaging her asking when should we go out for a drink so im thinking that i dont mention it again to her until i get paid at the end of next week and then messaging her and saying something like "hey ive been paid so i was going to book a hotel for when youre free?"

Hey dude, whatever you do..do not send her message like that..too much details that it sounds too lame.... just send her msg like "ready when you are" context. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please don't message her the hotel thing, it tells her you only want her for sex, even if that's not the case
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Please don't message her the hotel thing, it tells her you only want her for sex, even if that's not the case

Well she knows id book myself into a hotel anyway as i already mentioned this to her, because i said i would come down to her in london and we could go for a few drinks. she would go home at the end of the night id go back to my hotel. its just deciding what to message her saying when arranging to meet her.
Reply 4
Leave the ball in her court.
Reply 5
I would just call her and arrange a mutually convenient weekend to meet for the drink in London. I agree with others not to specifically mention where you are staying at that stage. What's your instinct, do you think she's up for a romantic relationship? Its positive that she wants to see you but the 'not for a few weeks' line could suggest just friends.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
I would just call her and arrange a mutually convenient weekend to meet for the drink in London. I agree with others not to specifically mention where you are staying at that stage. What's your instinct, do you think she's up for a romantic relationship? Its positive that she wants to see you but the 'not for a few weeks' line could suggest just friends.

I wouldn't specifically mention which hotel i'd just say i'm booking one. i'm not sure about the romantic relationship i think we just both want to meet up and see what happens she's recently separated from her husband (there is a bit of an age gap between us) and she looks after her kid most weekends so I understand why she can't meet up for a few weeks.
Reply 7
Can anyone else offer any advice on this? I really want to message her and arrange to go out for a few drinks but I dont want to come across as being pushy or needy.
The old 'I'm busy' excuse, chances are she's going to keep saying she is busy. Just put something like 'just let me know when you're free'. If she's that interested she will make an effort to arrange a date, little you say is going to influence her decision.
Reply 9
Original post by OllieDBurton
The old 'I'm busy' excuse, chances are she's going to keep saying she is busy. Just put something like 'just let me know when you're free'. If she's that interested she will make an effort to arrange a date, little you say is going to influence her decision.

I know the "I'm busy" can be seen as an excuse but when I mentioned it to her the other night I first said "me and you will have to go out for a drink" and her reply was "when?". I said im free most weekends so whenever shes free we'll arrange something and she said shes busy the next few weekends because of her kid. I know some people can see that as being as an excuse not to meet up but from the way she was speaking i think it was genuine.
How did you jump from drink to hotel?
I don't think she's interested OP.
....she's recently separated from her husband (there is a bit of an age gap between us) and she looks after her kid most weekends so I understand why she can't meet up for a few weeks.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Piece of unsolicted advise from an old man Op, next time be firm when asking out a woman (time and place) believe me they like it that way than you letting them lead.

About your plight, (well this is not really a plight) ask her once again but final this time and if she says no or make excuses, then walk away, believe me you will survive it... tell her:

Anonymous: hi (insert lady name), I will be in London 1st week of next month , give me a shout if you still up for coffee somewhere, someplace you say where.

Keep it short and leave it this way. 1 week is 7 days this will put the ball in her court ..if she cannot give you a single day of it then im afraid its game over in my book. Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
How did you jump from drink to hotel?

We'd go out for a drink but because she lives in London and I live in Manchester I'd have to book myself into a hotel.
Original post by coolstudentdad

Piece of unsolicted advise from an old man Op, next time be firm when asking out a woman (time and place) believe me they like it that way than you letting them lead.

About your plight, (well this is not really a plight) ask her once again but final this time and if she says no or make excuses, then walk away, believe me you will survive it... tell her:

Anonymous: hi (insert lady name), I will be in London 1st week of next month , give me a shout if you still up for coffee somewhere, someplace you say where.

Keep it short and leave it this way. 1 week is 7 days this will put the ball in her court ..if she cannot give you a single day of it then im afraid its game over in my book. Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know why people may think that she's making excuses not to see me and a part of me thinks she's making excuses too. But then I remember that her job requires her to work night shifts and these shifts alter from week to week and from looking at her Facebook she's had things on every weekend for like the past 5 weeks so her saying she's got stuff on over the next few weekends sounds like she's telling the truth. Basically my head is a mess and Im crazy about her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know why people may think that she's making excuses not to see me and a part of me thinks she's making excuses too. But then I remember that her job requires her to work night shifts and these shifts alter from week to week and from looking at her Facebook she's had things on every weekend for like the past 5 weeks so her saying she's got stuff on over the next few weekends sounds like she's telling the truth. Basically my head is a mess and Im crazy about her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a girl and tbh your message sounds ok to me. Maybe suggest some dates to make it more specific. Something like "Hey, I've just been paid and was thinking of booking a hotel now for when you're free. I was thinking of maybe (say, second weekend of september), would that be ok?"
Original post by StationToStation
I'm a girl and tbh your message sounds ok to me. Maybe suggest some dates to make it more specific. Something like "Hey, I've just been paid and was thinking of booking a hotel now for when you're free. I was thinking of maybe (say, second weekend of september), would that be ok?"

Ok. I'm not going to message her until I get paid next week as I don't want to see desperate or clingy and then see what she says.

Also as you're a girl what would you think if a guy was willing to travel for 3 hours to meet you?
Ok. I'm not going to message her until I get paid next week as I don't want to see desperate or clingy and then see what she says.

Also as you're a girl what would you think if a guy was willing to travel for 3 hours to meet you?

Well... This is one of these things where it really just depends on whether she likes you or not, you know? If she doesn't she's probably going to think it's clingy, if she does she's probably going to think it's cute. Maybe make plans to do something else than just meet her in London so that she gets the impression that you're not just there for her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending