The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
Yeah I'm just heading into 2nd year, very relieved to get first year out the way as it's a b****h. Glad you enjoyed it, the atmosphere is great; everyone from staff to student are pretty approachable :smile: Do you have any questions or anything?

Best of luck in your application! Don't forget the 70 hours requirement :P

It does sound intense, I don't even think being from a science background will help as much as I assumed after hearing from some of you guys when I was there haha. I'm sure I've thousands of questions but I need to apply and hopefully get an interview first! I'm a phlebotomist so I've definitely hit the 70 hour mark but I did want to squeeze in some more shadowing etc. at some point, I might fire out a few phone calls now that I know I'm definitely applying!
Original post by sophmlg
It does sound intense, I don't even think being from a science background will help as much as I assumed after hearing from some of you guys when I was there haha. I'm sure I've thousands of questions but I need to apply and hopefully get an interview first! I'm a phlebotomist so I've definitely hit the 70 hour mark but I did want to squeeze in some more shadowing etc. at some point, I might fire out a few phone calls now that I know I'm definitely applying!

Didn't help me one bit haha, had to resit in the end! Got through though thankfully. More than happy to trade advice for tips on phlebotomy which I have to learn in a couple of months haha
Hi everyone,
I applied to Warwick last year with a ukcat of 680 and got rejected without interview.
I've now finished my biomed degree with a 2:1 and easily have the work experience/ volunteering hours as I volunteer in minor injuries and on the wards a few days a week.
I've just sat my ukcat this year and got an average of 700, and SJ band 1. What do you think my chances are of getting an interview here?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Original post by MJK91
Didn't help me one bit haha, had to resit in the end! Got through though thankfully. More than happy to trade advice for tips on phlebotomy which I have to learn in a couple of months haha

Hi, hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

I've heard rumours that Warwick has a harder course than other GEM programmes, is there any truth in that? You may not be able to answer this as I imagine you don't have experience of other courses, but on the off chance that you have friends at other med schools...
Original post by Medici103
Hi, hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

I've heard rumours that Warwick has a harder course than other GEM programmes, is there any truth in that? You may not be able to answer this as I imagine you don't have experience of other courses, but on the off chance that you have friends at other med schools...

I wouldn't say that, it's pretty representative from what I've heard. There's only 25 weeks of teaching though so it is very intensive, but the plus side is you get a long summer holiday in first year :smile:
Original post by MJK91
I wouldn't say that, it's pretty representative from what I've heard. There's only 25 weeks of teaching though so it is very intensive, but the plus side is you get a long summer holiday in first year :smile:

Thanks for putting my mind at ease! Only 25 weeks?! I'm finishing up my MSc and we go from September to September with no Summer break. I need a long holiday!
Original post by MJK91

Definitely haha! I think it's something a lot of students worry about, so many of my friends who are medics have said they're often super nervous but I think the difference is just down to the amount of practice they get compared to me. They're just going into fourth year now and while I'm doing up to 40 bloods a shift they'll often not have done that amount across a year before now, so I would suggest just jump whenever you get a chance to practise.
Original post by YesMED
Should you get invited to their selection day you will need to bring a written document detailing your duties whilst on work experience and the number of hours you spent there. As well as this, Warwick want contact details. Last application cycle the selection days were very early January so it is worth figuring out who can write you a good reference reasonably soon!

Is this the same thing as that work experience form?

I've already got someone willing to be a ref for that form for one work experience but I'm not sure about the other one. I'm still trying to find someone who can be a ref for my volunteering because I don't really know any of the nurses.

Anyway mu UKCAT is tomorrow and since I'm doing so badly on the mocks, I don't think I'll have to worry about the work experience haha
Original post by MJK91

Crikey is that all! How about the other years? Did you get to go on the Grenada trip? :biggrin:
Original post by Marathi
Crikey is that all! How about the other years? Did you get to go on the Grenada trip? :biggrin:

After 1st year it's much less rushed, and almost entirely clinical. By Christmas in year 2 you're essentially working clinically on placements.

Grenada was cancelled this year :frown: They were upgrading the facilities. Not that I'd do well enough on the anatomy quiz to go anyway! (by far my weakest area)
Original post by MJK91
After 1st year it's much less rushed, and almost entirely clinical. By Christmas in year 2 you're essentially working clinically on placements.

Grenada was cancelled this year :frown: They were upgrading the facilities. Not that I'd do well enough on the anatomy quiz to go anyway! (by far my weakest area)

25 weeks seems insane, how on earth do they cram so much content into such a short space of time.

Shame about it being cancelled, seems like a nice incentive to reward results, although it's a shame it isn't broader than just anatomy!
And there goes any chance I had of getting into Warwick. UKCAT was
VR 640
QR 740
AR 680
Band 1.

Good luck everyone else!
Original post by Marathi
25 weeks seems insane, how on earth do they cram so much content into such a short space of time.

Shame about it being cancelled, seems like a nice incentive to reward results, although it's a shame it isn't broader than just anatomy!

It's nice but I certainly couldn't have afforded the flights anyway :tongue: there's a lot of self learning involved so it's not just 25 weeks really :smile:
Reply 173
Read this on their website,
Your UCAS personal statement will not form a central part of the 2017 entry selection process.

What does this mean that they don't put much weighting on the PS?
Original post by SiMan
Read this on their website,
Your UCAS personal statement will not form a central part of the 2017 entry selection process.

What does this mean that they don't put much weighting on the PS?

They don't look at it at all. Not one bit. It's been that way for quite some time :smile: You still need to write a PS for UCAS if your other choices require one though.
Reply 175
Original post by MJK91
They don't look at it at all. Not one bit. It's been that way for quite some time :smile: You still need to write a PS for UCAS if your other choices require one though.

Oh wow! Must mean to absolutely nail the interview if invited. So I presume ukcat basically takes the bulk of the weighting?:argh:
Original post by SiMan
Oh wow! Must mean to absolutely nail the interview if invited. So I presume ukcat basically takes the bulk of the weighting?:argh:

You need the 70+ hours of care/shadowing experience (including proof), but then yes the UKCAT decides if you get to interview. At that point, your performance in the MMIs decides everything :smile:
I'm still confused about the whole work experience referee thing. Can someone clear it up for me? When do we tell Warwick what we've done and when do they need a referee? Do I apply in October, tell them what I've done and then supply contact details to them IF I get an interview? Or before interview?
Original post by Joanne86
I'm still confused about the whole work experience referee thing. Can someone clear it up for me? When do we tell Warwick what we've done and when do they need a referee? Do I apply in October, tell them what I've done and then supply contact details to them IF I get an interview? Or before interview?

Apply before October 15th. If you're successful at getting to interview, bring the proof with you :smile:
Original post by Joanne86

If you meet the initial threshold for UKCAT they ask you to complete a form detailing your work experience. They supply a letter for you to give to your referee/s that explains what to write. A few weeks later you either get invited to interview or rejected. If you get invited to interview you have to take your proof of work experience/letter of recommendation, degree transcripts and proof of ID documents for the DBS. They copy them all on the day. Super efficient.

(Except the DBS bit, take the options that have a long validity period. Bills are only valid a few months and by the time it's processed you may have to supply fresh ones.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest