The Student Room Group

So what are the hardest A-levels?

Which subjects are the hardest at A-level in your opinion?

I looked through news articles, and it appears that ICT is the hardest A-level around, but I've always been told that Chemistry is the hardest subject...
Reply 1
I'd say the major sciences or maths. I have done AS biology and it was by far my hardest subject. Maths seems to be the hardest on a whole at my school. People didn't get the best grades last thursday. Physics is said to be pretty hard too
Original post by L0st45
Which subjects are the hardest at A-level in your opinion?

I looked through news articles, and it appears that ICT is the hardest A-level around, but I've always been told that Chemistry is the hardest subject...

Hardest: Latin, Greek, History, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths, Philosophy (AQA)

Easiest: Sociology, Business:tongue: (still hard though)

Most annoying: Geography
People on The Student Room think everything is easy.

Think about your strengths and weaknesses those 2 factors will dictate which is the hardest subject.
Reply 4
I take German and I can honestly say languages are insanely hard, possibly due to the massive leap up from GCSE and I do chemistry, maths and history too and I can say that for me German was 10x harder to adjust to and just in general 😂
Reply 5
To be honest it all depends on individual ability. I'd say the conventional 'hard' subjects are maths, chemistry, biology and physics...and the conventional 'easy' subjects would be things like media, photography, social sciences etc.

Although I took art, because I wanted an easy fourth subject to take 'for fun' (I was so stupid omg) and it was one of the hardest subjects I've ever done. It was so, so hard to keep on top of and churn out high quality and quantities of work...so I'd say it's kinda difficult to say what's hard and what's not:biggrin:
Reply 6
There isn't a hardest A level.
I think chemistry is more or less equally difficult if not slightly easier than physics, but a lot more people take chemistry thinking it might be easier than physics because it has less maths, which means that the quality of the students is worse, which means that a lot of people fail and is thereby considered harder. I'm taking chemistry and all the smarter people in my class do physics... Always feeling like I'm missing out. I'm really not mathematical but I'm good with memorising and understanding general concepts meaning am still better in chemistry than my mathsy friends, at least AS :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Ugh. This question is just way too common.

There is no hardest subject. There is no easiest subject. It is all subjective. If you are good at essays, but bad with numbers, you would probably find Further Maths to be extremely difficult, but could find History to be a breeze. The opposite could be true for someone else.

Different people have their strengths, so it's very difficult to compare the different subjects on something so subjective as difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest