The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by jdizzle12345
What was your UMS in politics and french?

French was 154 overall. A was 160.
Politics Unit 1 was 88, unit 2 was 77. 80 was A for unit 2. Can't remember overall grade boundaries for politics.

I know overall I got an 84 point something percent average.

I mean theology is a much less popular course but obviously they can still be very selective. I think its 1 in 2 but they don't have a quota to fill, so if they don't like anyone they don't take anyone.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hi,
Thanks for starting this thread.
I am looking at applying for an MPhil in Engineering (starting 2018).
I was wondering what the whole admissions process is like for MPhils at Cambridge. Do we have to suggest a research topic? Contact our supervisor? What are the main factors which come into play when giving an offer?
I have finished my first year with an 85% average in ChemEng at UCL. Do faculty prizes/contributions also come into play? I recently received a prize for my results and interned in my department for the summer.
Thanks!

Hello and welcome back to the thread, I remember you from a couple of year's back! :smile: I'm so glad it's been going so well at UCL, congratulations. The processes and application varies somewhat from course to course and you can find out the details on the graduate admissions site and on the various faculty websites. What we are looking for above all is excellence in your first degree and strong references.
Original post by coffee&cake
Hi, I've just come across this forum, thank you for being here :smile:

A question for you please. I would love to apply to Cambridge for Spanish and Latin. My AS UMSs are Spanish 200/200, Maths 298/300, French 195/200 and Latin 185/200.

I've heard that these combined courses are harder to get into generally than straight MML or classics or whatever. In the light of this, will it count against me that Latin was my lowest UMS despite it being a subject I want to study at university?? I know it's really important to choose a course that matches your academic profile, but I really really want to include the Latin!

Very grateful for any advice...

Hello and thank you for your questions. With your grades you will be a strong candidate. Your Latin mark may be the weskest but it is still very good and it's important to pursue the subject that you want to do. We do not expect perfect scores and wile your overall AS performance is a good (though by no means fail safe) predictor of success at Cambridge, individual subject scores generally do not have a good correlation. In short, if you want to apply for Spanish and Latin go for it. In my experience it isn't harder to get a place for this than for 'normal' MML or Classics.
Original post by Abdulzeedo
This mean I will be able to get an interview at Cambridge with these "pros" ?

That's not a guarantee, no, but you have a decent chance.
Original post by Hjortlund
Thanks for the answer! I'd say that the negatives aren't too bad, and I'm used to noise due to living in the center of a city. :smile:

Would the fact that I've taken the Higher Technical Examination (HTX) instead of A Levels or IBs disadvantage me in any way? The 12s won't be a problem as I've already got them. :wink:
I'm not sure if I mentioned it in one of my earlier questions or not, but from September and until November I will be taking courses at Copenhagen University, that are the equivalent of the first quarter of their physics undergrad. Would an offer possibly require a specific grade in these courses?
Also when you say downplayed, how much if any chemistry would there be in the interview? I can understand if you can't answer that question, though.

We always have a chemist in our Nat Sci interviews and, for those who indicate physics as a preference, a small part of one of the two interviews would be focused on Chemsitry.

We are obviously more familiar with A Levels and the IB than the Danish national system but providing that you are a good scientist then there's n reason that doing this qualification will be a disadvantage, We sometimes make offer on the basis of undergraduate performance elsewhere but not always.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thanks for your question. I am afraid that with ABCD at AS Level then it's very likely that you would not be called for interview. Natural Sciences is a very competitive course and your best bet if you wished to come to Cambridge would be to apply after your A Levels having achieved at least A*A*A. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging.

Thank you very much for you reply!!! Would taking a gap year have a negative impact on my application?? Also, if I applied this year and scored highly on the pre-admissions assessment would that better my chances of gaining an interview?? Thank you :smile:
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
Where should we put the UMS for our AS levels on UCAS?

You don't put UMS scores on the UCAs form. They are entered on the Cambridge-specific SAQ wich is completed after you have submitted your UCAS form.
Hello and thank you for your questions. With your grades you will be a strong candidate. Your Latin mark may be the weskest but it is still very good and it's important to pursue the subject that you want to do. We do not expect perfect scores and wile your overall AS performance is a good (though by no means fail safe) predictor of success at Cambridge, individual subject scores generally do not have a good correlation. In short, if you want to apply for Spanish and Latin go for it. In my experience it isn't harder to get a place for this than for 'normal' MML or Classics.

Thanks so much for the encouraging advice. I'll give it a shot, it's worth one of the five! Very grateful for your time.
Original post by k.russell
Hi @Christ's Admissions
I am considering applying for biological natural sciences during my gap year and was hoping you could comment a little on my UsMS scores/grades, I have really improved across the board coming from AS -> A2 and I think this has been down to increasing maturity and the development of a work ethic and study skills. Interestingly, my lowest grades from this year where both in controlled assessment science practical units, how is this viewed by admissions teams?

UMS breakdown:
edexcel Maths AS: 78% B
Maths A2: C3 - 95/100 C4 - 100/100 M2 - 80/100 275/300 92% A*
Maths: 509/600 85% A*
OCR Chemistry AS: 82% A
Chemistry A2: f324 - 77/90 f325 - 148/150 f326 - 42/60 267/300 89% A
Chemistry: 514/600 86% A
WJEC Biology AS: 80% A
Biology A2: BY4 - 115/120 BY5 - 115/120 BY6 - 44/60 274/300 91% A*
Biology: 514/600 86% A*
A's in History AS (edexcel) and EPQ (edexcel)

Thankyou :smile:
(I would like to add that I understand grades aren't the only factor but I would like to hear how strong mine are all the same)

Hello and thanks for your questions. Congratulations on your results. You will certainly be a viable candidate post A level and it is great that you ave clearly improved significantly between AS and A2, that is always something that we like to see. The practical elements are notoriously up and down in their marking (one of the reasons practicals have been essentially removed from the new A Level marking) and we have consequently tended to pay less attention to them than to the written elements of the exam.

Best of luck in your application.
Original post by coffee&cake
Thanks so much for the encouraging advice. I'll give it a shot, it's worth one of the five! Very grateful for your time.

You're very welcome. It's nice to be able to be encouraging when one sees strong results. Best of luck! :smile:
Hello and welcome back to the thread, I remember you from a couple of year's back! :smile: I'm so glad it's been going so well at UCL, congratulations. The processes and application varies somewhat from course to course and you can find out the details on the graduate admissions site and on the various faculty websites. What we are looking for above all is excellence in your first degree and strong references.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Didn't think you'd remember - I did end up picking up the full FM A level and self teaching (I got an A!).
I hope I'm successful this time round and end up joining you for my masters :smile:
Thanks!
Original post by Sophie7699
Thank you very much for you reply!!! Would taking a gap year have a negative impact on my application?? Also, if I applied this year and scored highly on the pre-admissions assessment would that better my chances of gaining an interview?? Thank you :smile:

Taking a gap year is absolutely fine and wouldn't negatively impact your chances. An absolutely stellar performance on the Assessment *might* rescue you for an interview this year but I wouldn't be 100% sure.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Didn't think you'd remember - I did end up picking up the full FM A level and self teaching (I got an A!).
I hope I'm successful this time round and end up joining you for my masters :smile:
Thanks!

I do my best to remember and you were pretty active and were very supportive to people even after you didn't get the offer from Churchill which doesn't always happen. I hope you are too, best of luck and keep doing really well at UCL.
Taking a gap year is absolutely fine and wouldn't negatively impact your chances. An absolutely stellar performance on the Assessment *might* rescue you for an interview this year but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

Thank you very much for your advice!!! I know I am an A* student and I have just had a unfortunate dip this year, if I did not gain an interview this year would I still be able to apply a second time once I got my A-Level results?
Hi - I just got my AS results, AAAB (History, Maths, Biology and Spanish respectively) with all 90+ in Maths, but unknown UMS in History and Biology.

My Spanish was let down by my Speaking - which the teacher originally said was around full marks but was marked as a C so its up for a lot of suspicion as we can't see where marks were lost - so I'm going to get it remarked.

I got 10*s, 2 As and an A in Add Maths at GCSE, and Im also doing an EPQ.

I want to do History at Cambridge, but I feel like the B is going to make it impossible, and I'd basically fallen in love with Cambridge.

Extracurricular wise, I follow multiple history podcasts, as well as reading many history books and doing excursions to historical sites, participated in archaeology courses and do half marathons.

Is an offer out of reach? :frown:
Original post by chemari
Say if my grades are better in next summer, what are the chances of getting picked during clearing Or summer's pool?

I'm afraid we don't do clearing or adjustment and don;t take people on mid term. With your grades, it's going to be difficult to secure an interview even with an excellent performance in the assessment. I'm sorry not to be more positive.
Thank you very much for your advice!!! I know I am an A* student and I have just had a unfortunate dip this year, if I did not gain an interview this year would I still be able to apply a second time once I got my A-Level results?

I understand your frustration, these things happen but what you need to do now is prove to us that it was a dip and not reflective of your true abilities. It's fine to apply twice, it won;t damage your chances second time around and is pretty common.
I understand your frustration, these things happen but what you need to do now is prove to us that it was a dip and not reflective of your true abilities. It's fine to apply twice, it won;t damage your chances second time around and is pretty common.

Thank you ever so much for your advice, I'll give it a shot and see what happens next year. Thank you, it's made me feel better about my chances :smile:
Original post by jenoverboard
As a CompSci applicant taking advanced highers in Chemistry, Computing, Maths and English, would an offer be likely to be a 4 grade offer? I'm undecided about continuing with English as I enjoy it but would be worried about the possibility of it impacting my grades in the other 3 subjects (since they're evidently more relevant). On the other hand with my not-so-perfect higher results (3A2s, 2A1s, as you know) I was wondering if having the 4 Advanced Highers at good predicted grades would maybe balance out these a bit in my application?

Hello and thanks for your question. Your offer would be on Math, Chemistry and Computing, we wouldn;t be interested i the English. Just concentrate on doing as well in the relevant Advanced Highers as possible. Your Highers are fine, not among the very best, but certainly enough to apply with.
Thank you ever so much for your advice, I'll give it a shot and see what happens next year. Thank you, it's made me feel better about my chances :smile:

You are very welcome and I hope that this year goes really well and that you get the grades that you deserve and are thus able to apply with confidence.

Latest

Trending

Trending