The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick University - Recent Graduate - Ask me Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Assan
Thank you so much for the information. :smile:

How easy/difficult did you find it to balance your degree with a language? I imagine that in Maths there are a lot of hours to put in. How did you manage during the year, and around exam time?

Not very easy. It affected my third year more than my second year because the difficulty was higher. There are tonnes of hours to put into maths so, indeed, it made things quite challenging. The only thing that kept me going was my passion for Chinese.

Don't pursue a language alongside your degree for the wrong reasons, such as you think it will help your employability - limited to Warwick it definitely won't. If you want to make some good friends outside your course and you are genuinely interested in the language though, go for it.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Do you guys think I'm likely to be rejected if I apply to Warwick through adjustment? To get on to the course I want (discrete maths), I needed A*AA but got A*A*B.The A*'s are in both maths and further maths.Thank you!
Reply 22
Original post by SamDavies1998
Do you guys think I'm likely to be rejected if I apply to Warwick through adjustment? To get on to the course I want (discrete maths), I needed A*AA but got A*A*B.The A*'s are in both maths and further maths.Thank you!

Can't hurt to try :smile:. Good luck.

Original post by Paraphilos
Not very easy. It affected my third year more than my second year because the difficulty was higher. There are tonnes of hours to put into maths so, indeed, it made things quite challenging. The only thing that kept me going was my passion for Chinese.

Don't pursue a language alongside your degree for the wrong reasons, such as you think it will help your employability - limited to Warwick it definitely won't. If you want to make some good friends outside your course and you are genuinely interested in the language though, go for it.

Thanks for the advice. Studying Law and wondered how it'd affect my class time. Luckily, Law with Humanities lets me study a language as part of my courseload so who knows, maybe that'll be enough....

Thanks.
Original post by taureniits
Thanks for the discussion! I have three questions. Firstly, is worth going to the 'Welcome to Warwick programme' if I am an EU student?

If there's anything you're not sure about with moving to the UK, go for it.

Secondly, have anyone stayed either in Cryfield or Whitefield and what are your thoughts about both of the accommodations?

Cryfield: Long, narrow corridors. Weird layout. Loads of stairs everywhere. Quite close to the SU: can get noisy.

Whitefield: Never lived there, but it's right next to the SU and not very well soundproofed, hence noisy. The house thing is... unusual, suits some people, doesn't suit others.

And lastly how hard it is to get a part-time job in the campus?

Pretty easy: look up the Warwick Welcome Service in particular: they pay reasonably well and they're very flexible about fitting it around your studies.
Original post by BlueSam3
If there's anything you're not sure about with moving to the UK, go for it.

Cryfield: Long, narrow corridors. Weird layout. Loads of stairs everywhere. Quite close to the SU: can get noisy.

Whitefield: Never lived there, but it's right next to the SU and not very well soundproofed, hence noisy. The house thing is... unusual, suits some people, doesn't suit others.

Pretty easy: look up the Warwick Welcome Service in particular: they pay reasonably well and they're very flexible about fitting it around your studies.

Thanks for your replies!
Reply 25
For another perspective: I recently graduated in maths (MMath), and have lived in Claycroft, Tocil, Jack Martin, Redfern and Cryfield at various points (some in summer research programs), and will also answer whatever questions people have.

Importance of AS results, thinking about MORSE any info on it?
Original post by Niz2206
Importance of AS results, thinking about MORSE any info on it?

The maths department doesn't care at all. Other departments might. MORSE always struck me as just being Statistics but harder to explain to people.
Original post by dmrich
Just here to help out anyone with any questions - I studied Film and Literature, and lived in both Rootes and Westwood. I am happy to answer questions on anything related to uni life, accommodation, studies, everything helpful, as I know results day is creeping towards everyone and it can be a bit of a daunting experience!

Daisy. :smile:

Sorry I know that you studied film and literature and this will not be related to your field but, is there any point in subscribing to magazines like 'Nature' or 'New Scientist' at Warwick? I mean theres a huge library, will they be all available for being borrowed and hence no point in wasting money to subscribe to them?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated :smile:
:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For another perspective: I recently graduated in maths (MMath), and have lived in Claycroft, Tocil, Jack Martin, Redfern and Cryfield at various points (some in summer research programs), and will also answer whatever questions people have.

Hi - how would you rank Tocil, Westwood, Whitefields, Rootes and Cryfield? Rootes seems the most popular bu I'm not much of a party person... I know you didn't stay in some of those, but I'm guessing you might have heard some things about the others? Thank you!
Reply 29
The maths department doesn't care at all. Other departments might. MORSE always struck me as just being Statistics but harder to explain to people.

Thanks for that, given me some slight hope!
Original post by LaurieHarris
Hi - how would you rank Tocil, Westwood, Whitefields, Rootes and Cryfield? Rootes seems the most popular bu I'm not much of a party person... I know you didn't stay in some of those, but I'm guessing you might have heard some things about the others? Thank you!

See summary Here. I'd avoid Rootes and Whitefields (and to a lesser extent Cryfield) if you want to avoid noise at night.
Reply 31
Original post by missecon
How are the freshers parties? Should you attend every single one of them?

Hello!

I wouldn't if you don't want to - I certainly only attended the ones I wanted to go to, and did not feel as if I was missing out at all if I didn't go to one. Loads of people I know purchased the wristband that allowed them to go to every single party but ended up not going to a lot of them, as there is always something going on in halls or around the area if people decide not to go to the actual SU events.

Honestly, I would just wait to meet flatmates and see what kind of vibe you get from everyone else, as you can always try to purchase tickets when you do know what everyone else is doing and how you feel about it all. :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Do you have a grad job lined up akready

Hello,

I graduated last month, and was already working in my current grad job in March this year. :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Justtryingtolive
Sorry I know that you studied film and literature and this will not be related to your field but, is there any point in subscribing to magazines like 'Nature' or 'New Scientist' at Warwick? I mean theres a huge library, will they be all available for being borrowed and hence no point in wasting money to subscribe to them?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated :smile:
:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello!
That's okay - I would say don't subscribe, as the library is very well stocked but also the small grocery store on campus, called Rootes, always really surprised me by how much it had in stock in regards to magazines. As a film student, most places only ever have the more mainstream stuff like Empire, but Rootes had the new Sight and Sound Film Journal every month, so might be worth checking all that out first? Plus, you can always subscribe if you find you want a bit more later on in the year? :smile:
Reply 34
Do you get people who are 420 enthusiasts?

Basically people who like their trees?

Starting at wwk this year so am worried I won't find anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending