The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Oxford maths??

Ive got 8A's at national 5 and 5A's in my Highers in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, English and Geography.
Predicted 3A's at advanced higher in Chemistry, physics and maths.

I got 93% in my exam which idk if it's good enough because I'm seeing people with like 100UMS. I feel like I do worse on real exams because I stress out and make stupid mistakes because I was getting higher percentages in class tests etc.

If I was to apply, i don't really know what I would write in my personal statement? Our school doesn't do any Olympiads so I can't write that, I guess I could write about a math related book ? I'm going to start helping out in maths classes so that could be one thing.

Also, how do I prepare for MAT?
I'm finding fairly difficult now and I've realised there's some stuff in it which isn't covered in higher so I'm going to teach myself that too.

So I guess the dreaded question is.. Am I good enough?! Is 2 months enough to prepare for MAT?
I'm thinking of giving STEP a go too maybe.
Original post by Mystery.
Ive got 8A's at national 5 and 5A's in my Highers in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, English and Geography.
Predicted 3A's at advanced higher in Chemistry, physics and maths.

I got 93% in my exam which idk if it's good enough because I'm seeing people with like 100UMS. I feel like I do worse on real exams because I stress out and make stupid mistakes because I was getting higher percentages in class tests etc.

If I was to apply, i don't really know what I would write in my personal statement? Our school doesn't do any Olympiads so I can't write that, I guess I could write about a math related book ? I'm going to start helping out in maths classes so that could be one thing.

I'm finding fairly difficult now and I've realised there's some stuff in it which isn't covered in higher so I'm going to teach myself that too.

So I guess the dreaded question is.. Am I good enough?! Is 2 months enough to prepare for MAT?
I'm thinking of giving STEP a go too maybe.

Before you think about STEP, think about what unis you want to apply to and whether they require STEP or not.

PS... I dunno. Probably not hugely important for maths but that's just me speculating - I just think it's more about the grades, from what I've read/heard. If you haven't done BMO or whatever then :dontknow: summer schools, work experience (possibly something related to maths in there, eg an application of maths or coding experience or anything..), a public lecture or lectures you've been to about a particular topic (take notes!), some books that you've read that are of genuine interest to you... those are all fillers.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Before you think about STEP, think about what unis you want to apply to and whether they require STEP or not.

PS... I dunno. Probably not hugely important for maths but that's just me speculating - I just think it's more about the grades, from what I've read/heard. If you haven't done BMO or whatever then :dontknow: summer schools, work experience (possibly something related to maths in there, eg an application of maths or coding experience or anything..), a public lecture or lectures you've been to about a particular topic (take notes!), some books that you've read that are of genuine interest to you... those are all fillers.

None of them do, just thought it's good preparation. Oxford says if you miss your MAT offer then they may give a conditional STEP offer.
Been to one on gravitational waves so idk how I'd relate that to maths lol
Do you think 2 years old work experience is still valid?
None of them do, just thought it's good preparation. Oxford says if you miss your MAT offer then they may give a conditional STEP offer.

Fair point, it probably does. I didn't bother personally but you can apply to... any uni you want with your stellar grades :wizard: so chances are they might need it. Have a look at this thread if you have the time to get a feel for it. You can start prepping from like Jan and enter for it in very late Feb so you can kind of make your mind up later, but at the same time important to think about when applying for unis. Don't just look at grades/entry requirements though, weigh up other things to see if you'd actually enjoy going there, visit if possible, speak to a current student, study the module choices.. etc etc.

Application of maths I guess :lol: if you were exposed to any of that whilst you were there. Or you were interested and went off, after hearing about the theory, to see some of the maths concepts behind it.

I don't know :eek4: but I'd hope so. What was it about / what kind of tasks did you do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Fair point, it probably does. I didn't bother personally but you can apply to... any uni you want with your stellar grades :wizard: so chances are they might need it. Have a look at this thread if you have the time to get a feel for it. You can start prepping from like Jan and enter for it in very late Feb so you can kind of make your mind up later, but at the same time important to think about when applying for unis. Don't just look at grades/entry requirements though, weigh up other things to see if you'd actually enjoy going there, visit if possible, speak to a current student, study the module choices.. etc etc.

Application of maths I guess :lol: if you were exposed to any of that whilst you were there. Or you were interested and went off, after hearing about the theory, to see some of the maths concepts behind it.

I don't know :eek4: but I'd hope so. What was it about / what kind of tasks did you do?

Yeah, I was thinking that too.
It was mostly physics, but that's actually a good idea.
It was in RBS but I literally did nothing because the work experience coordinator was ill or something so just ended up counting charity money and making tea -.-
But they did show me some stuff on their software so I could just make up some bs.. Or is that a bad idea 😂
Yeah, I was thinking that too.
It was mostly physics, but that's actually a good idea.
It was in RBS but I literally did nothing because the work experience coordinator was ill or something so just ended up counting charity money and making tea -.-
But they did show me some stuff on their software so I could just make up some bs.. Or is that a bad idea 😂

The other thing I would say is try to find stories about the interview experience at Oxford, particular for Maths. That could give you some.. useful insight.

Perhaps by counting money you 'understood how to apply Maths to finance, how to credit and debit accounts and conducting experiments involving the study of Newton's law of cooling applied to tea given different initial conditions..

I would say just be honest. If you can put a positive spin on things then great, but if you have to make up a few details.. I don't know.
Reply 6
Yeah, I'll do that.
Thanks for all the advice! :smile:
Go for it, you seem smart enough to have a chance.

If you're making lots of silly mistakes it may be that you're not getting enough sleep. You should be aiming for at least 8 hours sleep at your age, that way you'll be fresh and able to concentrate throughout the day, and you won't rack up a sleep deficit.
PS isn't hugely important for maths as they, well, only care about how good you are at maths. 93% is a great score so it would be good to mention that somewhere, particularly for your non-Oxford unis.
Basically, you will get an Oxford offer if you do well in the MAT and the interview questions. My friend recently got an offer and he scored 63 on the MAT and managed to solve all of his interview questions unassisted, for reference. Usually he got 80-90 in the MAT but the pressure of the day must have got to him (he later sat it for fun and got 87 lol), but I'd say as long as you can regularly score 60+ then you have a decent chance (the average offer-holder score was only 63 last year).
Reply 9

Really wouldn't worry about Olympiads or similar - the PS just needs to be about why you individually enjoy maths. The best use of your time now would be preparing for MAT and going over past papers.
Reply 10

I'm pretty certain Oxford don't say/do this - if you have a link I'd welcome seeing it.

As a PS to that, no offer is made based on the MAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TimGB
Go for it, you seem smart enough to have a chance.

If you're making lots of silly mistakes it may be that you're not getting enough sleep. You should be aiming for at least 8 hours sleep at your age, that way you'll be fresh and able to concentrate throughout the day, and you won't rack up a sleep deficit.

Thankyou, and I think that may well be the cause because I don't get enough sleep most nights.
Reply 12
Original post by JRKinder
PS isn't hugely important for maths as they, well, only care about how good you are at maths. 93% is a great score so it would be good to mention that somewhere, particularly for your non-Oxford unis.
Basically, you will get an Oxford offer if you do well in the MAT and the interview questions. My friend recently got an offer and he scored 63 on the MAT and managed to solve all of his interview questions unassisted, for reference. Usually he got 80-90 in the MAT but the pressure of the day must have got to him (he later sat it for fun and got 87 lol), but I'd say as long as you can regularly score 60+ then you have a decent chance (the average offer-holder score was only 63 last year).

Maybe I could ask a teacher to put in my reference? I feel like it's not outstanding enough To go on my statement.
That's exactly like me, I get worse in actual exams. Any idea when he started preparing?
Thankyou for the advice, I'll do a whole paper and see what I get.
Reply 13
Oxford says if you miss your MAT offer then they may give a conditional STEP offer.

Source?

It says here they don't:
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/frequently-asked-questions

"Do you ask for STEP as part of your offer?
No, we will not ask for STEP or AEA as part of our conditional offer. You can find our standard conditional offers on our offer page."
Reply 14
Original post by RichE
Really wouldn't worry about Olympiads or similar - the PS just needs to be about why you individually enjoy maths. The best use of your time now would be preparing for MAT and going over past papers.

That's what I'm doing right now but I'm finding them pretty hard which is not a good sign.. Should I invest in a tutor?

Original post by RichE
I'm pretty certain Oxford don't say/do this - if you have a link I'd welcome seeing it.

As a PS to that, no offer is made based on the MAT.

I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere on their website but it might have been imperial now that I think about it..
Obviously I don't mean an offer based solely on MAT but I do believe it plays a prominent part.
Reply 15
I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere on their website but it might have been imperial now that I think about it..
Obviously I don't mean an offer based solely on MAT but I do believe it plays a prominent part.

MAT offers don't exist, that's nonsense. You sit the MAT in November... and yes, it was obviously Imperial's website that you read that on, not Oxford's. Oxford doesn't do STEP offers.
Reply 16
Original post by jneill
Source?

It says here they don't:
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/frequently-asked-questions

"Do you ask for STEP as part of your offer?
No, we will not ask for STEP or AEA as part of our conditional offer. You can find our standard conditional offers on our offer page."

Sorry my bad, it's imperial who does this.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
MAT offers don't exist, that's nonsense. You sit the MAT in November... and yes, it was obviously Imperial's website that you read that on, not Oxford's. Oxford doesn't do STEP offers.

That's not what I meant.
I mean Oxford looks at your MAT score as well as your whole application to then make a conditional offer.
And yes I did. Imperial it is.
Reply 18
That's what I'm doing right now but I'm finding them pretty hard which is not a good sign.. Should I invest in a tutor?

I think finding them initially hard or unusual in their format is normal - I would not recommend employing a tutor.

Rather put some time and effort in with some questions; the earlier papers are a little easier (and someone put old MAT papers on the TSR website after an FOI request) - these may be a good place to start.

Don't look at the solutions too quickly. Try a few approaches. Also remember a score like 50 or 60 would likely get you an interview, so don't make comparisons with your performance on A-level papers.

Finally make sure to do some of the papers timed. Each year certain TSRers post that the MAT was the hardest ever. I think rather than the real deal of sitting your MAT is just more stressful - so make sure to do some timed papers to minimize that stress. Get a sense of how much time you want to spend on each part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe I could ask a teacher to put in my reference? I feel like it's not outstanding enough To go on my statement.
That's exactly like me, I get worse in actual exams. Any idea when he started preparing?
Thankyou for the advice, I'll do a whole paper and see what I get.
Yeah put it in the reference.
Well he's the type of person who really enjoys doing maths lol so he actually finished all of A2 maths and some of A2 Further Maths in the summer holidays, then started working on the MAT, STEP, BMO1 etc afterwards. I applied for PPE last year and started doing my own admissions test around the end of August, start of Septemberish but he was a little bit more consistent than me (go figure, guess who got in :colonhash:, to be fair I'd only done Core 3 in summer so still had actual schoolwork to do!), but bottom line is the sooner the better. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and start preparing when you go back to school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending