The Student Room Group

I'm a ****ing failure

Scroll to see replies

You are not a failure. Clearly you are someone who works hard and wants to get somewhere in life. Chin up, push forward, because you will get there.
Could you retake your A levels and apply to a better university?
Original post by wickedisgood
TBH I know you feel bad and all but this is so harsh and honestly pretty rude to people that genuinely try and don't do as well as you did. BBB is not a failure. You didn't work as hard as you could have, but you know that and can still rectify that.

There are people that can only dream of getting grades that high, so be grateful for what you have the ability to achieve instead of beating yourself up over it not being good enough.

I achieved BBB when I resat my A2's again tho. I know they're good grades but they're not what 16 yr old me expected to achieve at a level. I feel as I've wasted my potential. I'm not even at a russell group uni. I feel lost. I don't even know where I go from here.
BBB are good grades. I got all As at GCSE and I really struggled with A levels and my personal life at the time and I came out with ACC which I guess I am still disappointed with because It would have been nice to have had higher grades. However I got into the uni I wanted (NTU) which higher UCAS points than needed but my predicted grades were never high enough for me to even apply for more 'prestigious unis', but I loved my uni anyway and came out with a first.

Aston is a really top prestigious uni though. I know you're disappointed but try to not be so hard on yourself, you've done really well.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Could you retake your A levels and apply to a better university?

Already retaken :frown: Achieved CDE on my first attempt (with extenuating cirmcumstances) and BBB on my second attempt
Original post by Anonymous
Already retaken :frown: Achieved CDE on my first attempt (with extenuating cirmcumstances) and BBB on my second attempt

You can retake again!
You haven't failed. Don't hate yourself, learn from this. You have the option to do well or to learn well. Failure is not an option if you don't want it to be.
Lol my post must have gone straight over your head. I'm venting at the fact that I feel worthless because I failed to realise my full potential due to my laziness
p.s. I said "I'm asian" at the medicine/dentistry bit because thats what is stereotypically expected in asian families when you have muliple A*'s at GCSE

Stereotypically Asians do Maths (obviously) and are Master Musicians
Depends which asians you're referring to.

The most part just is the fact some think that asians are more evolved.

Asians just try harder depending on what family they come from - always high expectations.

Alrighty - what did you get at AS?
Also in which subjects? - I've been reading and theres no mention whatsoever
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Doesn't matter. It's about getting a good job, a degree is only part of that and the quality of uni it's from an even smaller part. I got strong A levels and go to a good uni but I'm sure I'll be unemployed after uni and never get a decent job or find any kind of security, success or happiness. :smile: It's about where you go from here.
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

Your no failure most parents would be very proud. Getting that far with all your issues is something to be proud of
Follow your heart

Do the degree and career you want

Three b s lots of people would be very very pleased
Smile
Pick yourself. Up and move on
Original post by sleepysnooze
you sound as if you're entitled to those grades and the offer through your race...

That was totally uncalled for.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
You can retake again!

A lot of russell group unis don't accept retakes for a third time plus I don't really fancy being surrounded by 18 yr olds when I'm 20 lol but thanks for the advice tho :smile:
Original post by Chaz W
Well your self-criticism says you care about achievement in life - so you'll end up in a good position eventually, you'll hold yourself to account very strongly. It's a good trait to have, I think.

Aye.

Get some work experience during the summer breaks, and the minute you step out of uni with your degree you'll be laughing, both with your CV and at your 19-year-old self.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

You're not a failure, this happened to me too and literally the exact same progression but with different grades/unis. Life goes on dude, go to Aston, work your ASS OFF and be the best that you can. This is your true chance to shine in an environment where you have the potential to do extremely well in, vs at school where you follow terrible curriculums.

Anyway, go for it guns blazing. Don't mope about with this failure nonsense, I sure as hell won't do that so I don't see any reason why you should. You've got an opportunity in front of you, grab it and run.
Original post by Maths is Life
Alrighty - what did you get at AS?

My AS results were BBEE. I stupidly carried on the BBE to A2 and thought that I could transform those grades into A's. In my A2's, the extenuating circumstances hit and I achieved CDE.
I then retook my A2's this year and achieved BBB.
Oh, ffs Grow a pair!

You made it to Univeristy and count yourself luck because of that. Not everybody is fortunate to have the intellectual capability to do so.

You're not a failure so please stop thinking you are and grow up!

Congrats on getting in btw :smile: :tongue:
I'm sorry you feel this way. You recently got your grades so I know the wound is still open. Your life, as well as many others your age, has probably only ever revolved around school and getting good grades. AAA or death. But it doesn't, it doesn't even come close to mattering, at least in the grand scheme of things. You're too complex to be defined by a couple exams you sat at 18.

Tip: You've got to start thinking positively or you'll drive yourself mad. Think: how can I move past this while still being healthy and happy? A levels are done - move on. You got amazing GCSE grades - you're obviously extremely bright. You got BBB - good grades. You went from CDE to BBB - that's impressive! You're going to Aston University - a good, respected university. So are you seriously going to let a couple B grades at school deter you from having a great time a university and getting a First or 2.1? You've got an exciting new chapter ahead.

In short, you're only as much of a failure as you want to be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
You're not a failure, this happened to me too and literally the exact same progression but with different grades/unis. Life goes on dude, go to Aston, work your ASS OFF and be the best that you can. This is your true chance to shine in an environment where you have the potential to do extremely well in, vs at school where you follow terrible curriculums.

Anyway, go for it guns blazing. Don't mope about with this failure nonsense, I sure as hell won't do that so I don't see any reason why you should. You've got an opportunity in front of you, grab it and run.

Ahhh, I've seen you on loads of the IB threads that I've read. I really did think that I would get into LSE and then go into investment banking (my degree at LSE was econ). Instead, I ****ed up and have ended up doing econ at Aston. You of all people should know that I have no hope of breaking into investment banking with my A level grades and through the fact that I attend Aston. My only hope now is to do a masters at a top uni which I really won't be able to afford. So there goes my career plan
Original post by User1014865
X

+1 great post

Quick Reply