The Student Room Group

Which exam board is the easiest/hardest for A level geography?

This is for the old spec?
Bump
Do AQA, they got me the grade A overall:tongue:
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
Do AQA, they got me the grade A overall:tongue:

My friend wants to study it by himself (private candidate), what are the possibility of him achieving an A for it?
Original post by Raizelcadres
My friend wants to study it by himself (private candidate), what are the possibility of him achieving an A for it?

I can't really guarantee he will, but it is definitely within reach.
I must stress though it is quite a tricky and tedious subject with a huge amount of content to memorise and apply. Essay writing in past papers and exams can be a pain at times.
On the other hand it can be quite a rewarding subject, in terms of getting a top grade and the interesting topics/useful skills gained out of it.
Good luck:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Edexcel was reallyyy easy
I must stress though it is quite a tricky and tedious subject with a huge amount of content to memorise and apply. Essay writing in past papers and exams can be a pain at times.
On the other hand it can be quite a rewarding subject, in terms of getting a top grade and the interesting topics/useful skills gained out of it.

Can you recommend any books that would really help and make things easy for him?

Btw is there a fieldwork required?
It's best that your friend looks at the different syllabi so that he can make an informed decision.*

I prefer AQA generally speaking but for self teaching it's vital to consider which exam boards qualifications has the best study resources.*
Btw is there a fieldwork required?

Yes
Have a look at the specification:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2030-W-SP-14.PDF
Can you recommend any books that would really help and make things easy for him?

Phillip Allan and David Redfern textbooks are really good, especially for physical geography they contain almost all the content you need to learn
There are lots of useful resources for Units 2 and 4 (fieldwork) on the internet which can be fished out (with difficulty:redface:)
The studentroom threads on A2 exams from previous years contain lots of excellent case study documents for revision

What does the field work have to be based on? (sorry I'm just trying to gather as much information)
What does the field work have to be based on? (sorry I'm just trying to gather as much information)

Anything from river channel characteristics, urban settlements, sand dunes
All you need is some colouring pencils.
Anything from river channel characteristics, urban settlements, sand dunes

I went to Blackpool (looked at their sand dunes, the sea wall, the promenade etc) so can he use that?
I went to Blackpool (looked at their sand dunes, the sea wall, the promenade etc) so can he use that?

Slightly late reply:redface:

Yes you can use that, as long as you're confident you have sufficient data and clear aims, method, data presentation, analysis and conclusions.

I strongly advise asking for help from an experienced teacher for the fieldwork papers.
Tackling the fieldwork papers alone is going to be challenging and it'll be hard to access the higher level marks without input from teachers.
Slightly late reply:redface:

Yes you can use that, as long as you're confident you have sufficient data and clear aims, method, data presentation, analysis and conclusions.

I strongly advise asking for help from an experienced teacher for the fieldwork papers.
Tackling the fieldwork papers alone is going to be challenging and it'll be hard to access the higher level marks without input from teachers.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 17
How is A-Level OCR Geography

Quick Reply

Latest