The Student Room Group

Pharmacy pre-reg placements

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit on advice in regards to pre-reg placements. I have received an offer from Boots which I must give my acceptance for BY Friday!! The problem is, is that I am also interested in applying for hospital pharmacy. There is a lot of hearsay going around saying how frowned upon it is if you accept an offer and then decline it later on.

I would like to know if anyone has ever done this before? and if so were there any repercussions or was it all ok?

Many thanks :smile:
If you know your not gonna be taking the boots offer then reject it. If you do accept it and then later decline it, it may come back to haunt you as Boots will have it down on their systems. Then if you do apply for a job with them again after pre reg then it certainly wont look good and will be reluctant to offer you a job
Reply 2
I accepted Boots offer but I am fully hoping to get into hospital!
Reply 3
Boots will blacklist your name and ban you from any future employment.
Original post by mads_94
I accepted Boots offer but I am fully hoping to get into hospital!

same they only gave us 10 days fml
Yep, Boots aren't reknown for their generous timeframes; they try and get an offer to you BEFORE everybody else in the hopes of forcing your hand a bit. After all, they are the ones holding the trump card here.

In this world, you do have to be out for yourself a bit. If you were to accept Boots, but later got an better offer from hospital, then you absolutely should take it - don't work for Boots just because you feel obligated, for I doubt you'll ever really see that loyalty repaid.

...however, you also have to counterbalance that with the fact Boots will almost certainly be after their own interests, and will have no compunction blacklisting you for not playing ball here. And there's nothing wrong with that - by taking up place and later dropping out, you are sending a pretty clear message you're not reliable.

Accept the offer with Boots if you would be genuinely happy to do your pre-reg with them; if a hospital crops up, well, you will just have to cross that bridge when you get there. If your dream sincerely is to work in hospital anyway - and you doubt that you'll be working in community anway - then you have less to lose from being blacklisted by them.

However, if it's something you are decidely against doing, and working for Boots (or community in general) would feel like a massive setback, you may be better off rejecting the offer and letting someone else take it - community can be pretty challenging if you aren't invested in it, IMHO. Also, if it is just a matter of hospital being your preference for pre-reg, but you want to move into community in the future, you should perhaps tread carefully.

But I'll reiterate: Boots, and pretty much every multinational, are big companies who will always put their needs first, yours second. Take the option which most benefits you, not them.
Original post by FallenPetal
Yep, Boots aren't reknown for their generous timeframes; they try and get an offer to you BEFORE everybody else in the hopes of forcing your hand a bit. After all, they are the ones holding the trump card here.

In this world, you do have to be out for yourself a bit. If you were to accept Boots, but later got an better offer from hospital, then you absolutely should take it - don't work for Boots just because you feel obligated, for I doubt you'll ever really see that loyalty repaid.

...however, you also have to counterbalance that with the fact Boots will almost certainly be after their own interests, and will have no compunction blacklisting you for not playing ball here. And there's nothing wrong with that - by taking up place and later dropping out, you are sending a pretty clear message you're not reliable.

Accept the offer with Boots if you would be genuinely happy to do your pre-reg with them; if a hospital crops up, well, you will just have to cross that bridge when you get there. If your dream sincerely is to work in hospital anyway - and you doubt that you'll be working in community anway - then you have less to lose from being blacklisted by them.

However, if it's something you are decidely against doing, and working for Boots (or community in general) would feel like a massive setback, you may be better off rejecting the offer and letting someone else take it - community can be pretty challenging if you aren't invested in it, IMHO. Also, if it is just a matter of hospital being your preference for pre-reg, but you want to move into community in the future, you should perhaps tread carefully.

But I'll reiterate: Boots, and pretty much every multinational, are big companies who will always put their needs first, yours second. Take the option which most benefits you, not them.

Wise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending