The Student Room Group

70 at imperial or 90 at Manchester?

Idk title
Your thread title makes no sense...
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Your thread title makes no sense...

He means you should choose between 70 points at imperial or go to manchester for an extra 20? Is it worth it?
Original post by New Sign
He means you should choose between 70 points at imperial or go to manchester for an extra 20? Is it worth it?

70 what points?

UCAS points? Percentage points on your final degree grade?
Is this university challenge
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Is this university challenge

70 what points?

UCAS points? Percentage points on your final degree grade?

Clearing!!
Original post by New Sign
Clearing!!

There's no such thing as Clearing points :s-smilie:
Reply 7
There's no such thing as Clearing points :s-smilie:

% degree grade
Original post by Religion
% degree grade

Which subject, dude?
Reply 9
Original post by DeuteriumPie
Which subject, dude?

math
math

I wouldn't know tbh, but I suspect Manchester by a good stretch? Peeps, correct me if I'm wrong..
Reply 11
Original post by DeuteriumPie
I wouldn't know tbh, but I suspect Manchester by a good stretch? Peeps, correct me if I'm wrong..

I didn't know they were looked at. How hard is it to get these numbers?
What are you even asking? If % degree grade they're both firsts.
% degree grade

It doesn't work like that - there's no saying that you'd get higher grades at Manchester than Imperial, and certainly I would be very, very surprised if there was a 20% difference. A first is a first, whether it's 70% or 90%, and the vast majority of employers only ask for a 2:1 (60%+).

The things that will distinguish you when it comes to getting a good graduate job are relevant work experience / internships, extra curricular activities and employability skills. There are very, very few employers out there who will care whether you got 70% or 90%. For what it's worth, since I graduated from Manchester with a high 2:1 and work experience two years ago, I've got an interview for all but one of the jobs I've applied for, and I've been offered 50% of the jobs I've applied for. No one has ever questioned my degree grade, degree subject or choice of institution (but they've been very interested in what I did alongside my degree e.g. part time jobs and societies).

Go to the university where you think you will be happiest - when you visited, what was your gut feeling? Are there extra curricular opportunities that you're interested in? What's the cost of living like? What work experience opportunities are on offer? How can the university support you with developing your employability (e.g. Manchester Leadership Programme, Manchester Graduate Internship Programme). Going to a uni you're happy at and doing a degree you enjoy tends to mean that you will be more motivated to work harder, so you'll be more likely to get the grades.
I didn't know they were looked at. How hard is it to get these numbers?

What do you mean by the first bit?
As for getting those numbers - 70 is very achievable if u know your cookies. 90 is very difficult, but if, again, you know your cookies, and get down on paper arguments that are clear, then not much can stop you from getting close. I'm a student of physics, btw...
Reply 15
It doesn't work like that - there's no saying that you'd get higher grades at Manchester than Imperial, and certainly I would be very, very surprised if there was a 20% difference. A first is a first, whether it's 70% or 90%, and the vast majority of employers only ask for a 2:1 (60%+).

The things that will distinguish you when it comes to getting a good graduate job are relevant work experience / internships, extra curricular activities and employability skills. There are very, very few employers out there who will care whether you got 70% or 90%. For what it's worth, since I graduated from Manchester with a high 2:1 and work experience two years ago, I've got an interview for all but one of the jobs I've applied for, and I've been offered 50% of the jobs I've applied for. No one has ever questioned my degree grade, degree subject or choice of institution (but they've been very interested in what I did alongside my degree e.g. part time jobs and societies).

Go to the university where you think you will be happiest - when you visited, what was your gut feeling? Are there extra curricular opportunities that you're interested in? What's the cost of living like? What work experience opportunities are on offer? How can the university support you with developing your employability (e.g. Manchester Leadership Programme, Manchester Graduate Internship Programme). Going to a uni you're happy at and doing a degree you enjoy tends to mean that you will be more motivated to work harder, so you'll be more likely to get the grades.

Wasn't asking about job opportunities. Just wondering.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wasn't asking about job opportunities. Just wondering.

That's usually what people are on about when they start this sort of thread... next time, please give all the information that people need to actually answer the question in the first post, instead of making them drag it out of you - this thread is getting painful now.
Reply 17
That's usually what people are on about when they start this sort of thread... next time, please give all the information that people need to actually answer the question in the first post, instead of making them drag it out of you - this thread is getting painful now.

Idk enough about this to have given you all the information that you wanted.
Who did OP kill to get that username?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending