The Student Room Group

Will I be disadvantaged by my A Level subjects for my Uni application?

Hi, thanks in advance for any help regarding my question.

Next year for A Level I will be taking History, Geography and Film Studies. I am going to also be applying to Oxford to study History, and I understand that Film Studies is one subject considered a 'soft' subject by top UK universities.

I would like to know if my application to Oxford, and for other Russell Group universities like KCL, will be disadvantaged by having Film Studies as one of my A-Levels?

This concerns me considerably as it is my dream to do a degree in History, which has always been my favourite subject, at one of these top universities.

Thank you very much for any replies and help, I really appreciate it.
Reply 1
Your other two choices are sensible, so it will be fine. You're only disadvantaged if you have two soft subjects.
Yeah you'll be disadvantaged. Replace film studies with a facilitating subject, or at least a neutral subject like economics to be on the safe side.
Original post by Glamdring5

Next year for A Level I will be taking History, Geography and Film Studies. I am going to also be applying to Oxford to study History, and I understand that Film Studies is one subject considered a 'soft' subject by top UK universities.

I would like to know if my application to Oxford, and for other Russell Group universities like KCL, will be disadvantaged by having Film Studies as one of my A-Levels?

This concerns me considerably as it is my dream to do a degree in History, which has always been my favourite subject, at one of these top universities.

If you go onto Cambridge's website, somewhere you should find the A-levels that they sort of ignore, I imagine the same subjects would be ignored by Oxford
Original post by Kieranisda1
If you go onto Cambridge's website, somewhere you should find the A-levels that they sort of ignore, I imagine the same subjects would be ignored by Oxford

Alternatively they could read what Oxford says about A level subjects:-

Providing that any specific subject requirements have been met, all A-levels are approved for admissions purposes, with the exception of General Studies.

However there is a problem with film studies.

This year (which is a typical year) 1.4% of candidates scored an A* and 10.9% of candidates scored an A. That is lower by far than any other subject. It may be that film studies attracts a weaker cohort (but I have not seen any data to support this). My suspicion is that it is mostly taught by English teachers who treat it as an extension of English literature and tend to ignore the fact film is a visual medium.

However, given that you will need AAA for Oxford, you are making life difficult for yourself in a subject that is new to you and in which you cannot know whether you have any ability.

Interesting points by @nulli tertius - I agree with the weaker cohort and weaker teaching conclusion.

I assume you have noticed Oxford's 'Britain At The Movies' second year course? http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/fileadmin/ohf/images/About/FS32_-_Course_Description.pdf. It seems that Oxford regard the study of film as perfectly acceptable at degree level. Given that you have two solid A-level subjects I suspect they won't be too hard on you for your third choice.
Original post by ageshallnot
Interesting points by nulli tertius - I agree with the weaker cohort and weaker teaching conclusion.

Let's not just assume that. There's no statistical evidence for that, and it supports the myth that STEM only attracts intelligent and able candidates. Surely the reason why 50% of Maths candidates get A/A* can't be just 'because they're all smart'?

I reckon that Film is just a difficult subject. I can't believe that 99/100 students are too dim to get an A* in it.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Let's not just assume that. There's no statistical evidence for that, and it supports the myth that STEM only attracts intelligent and able candidates. Surely the reason why 50% of Maths candidates get A/A* can't be just 'because they're all smart'?

I reckon that Film is just a difficult subject. I can't believe that 99/100 students are too dim to get an A* in it.

I guess the only way to really tell would be looking at people who took both film studies and maths. If they got A in maths and B in film then it would be some evidence to support it as not a soft subject
Reply 8
Thank you to everyone for the replies :smile:
Thank you to everyone for the replies :smile:

What he's is on about actually has alot of logic behind this.

People are continuously blind and say that A level maths is one of the hard A levels.

It annoying because it is usually lazy people that do physics.

I'm been saying this all day - if I can get an A* in maths - who can't? I'm stupid

At the start of the year I assume economics to be a general A level - I was blind. Economics is flippin hard and is reflected in it's pass rates.

No one realises that for some essay writing is difficult and although subjective - STEM subjects do not include essay writing at all.

At the end of the day it depends on which side of your brain you want to use.

Anyone that gets an A* in product design is a ******* clever guy/gal
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply