The Student Room Group

Resitting gcse in sixthform?!

Hi, I have some questions and I am unsure.
So hopefully I will get a B in Maths however if I don't then I can't do Science A -LEVELS. My first question is am I allowed to do a resit for maths in sixth form?
Secondly if I am allowed to do resits what will I be doing in sixth form before the resit in november? I am going to be in college however I don't understand what I am going to be doing. Is it going to be perparing for the resit or doing my courses that i chose?

Scroll to see replies

Yes you should be able to resit it as long you are accepted into the sixth form. Before the resit you will have normal lessons (the options that you chose) also you will have to attend a few maths lessons .
Re-sits are mainly those who failed to get a C at GCSE maths.

Speak to your sixthfrom, if they will be willing.
Original post by AAD1L786
So hopefully I will get a B in Maths however if I don't then I can't do Science A -LEVELS. My first question is am I allowed to do a resit for maths in sixth form?
Secondly if I am allowed to do resits what will I be doing in sixth form before the resit in november? I am going to be in college however I don't understand what I am going to be doing. Is it going to be perparing for the resit or doing my courses that i chose?

If you do get to re-sit, you will probably have after school maths classes or maths classes during your free periods.
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
If you do get to re-sit, you will probably have after school maths classes or maths classes during your free periods.

Will I do my courses as usual tho? I;m confused because my courses requiry for me to get a B but im going to re sit to get the B so will they let me do the science A levels
Will I do my courses as usual tho? I;m confused because my courses requiry for me to get a B but im going to re sit to get the B so will they let me do the science A levels

It depends, if the teacher(s) think you will cope then yeah, they will let you do it or alternatively they might give you a trial for a few weeks to see how you cope.

On the other hand, the worst case scenario would be a no but the bottom line is, they can be flexible.
Reply 6
Original post by Blackstarr
It depends, if the teacher(s) think you will cope then yeah, they will let you do it or alternatively they might give you a trial for a few weeks to see how you cope.

On the other hand, the worst case scenario would be a no but the bottom line is, they can be flexible.

sixth form are not flexable with their courses and entry requirements. thats the problem. I emailed them and they clearly said they are not flexible but im going to try and sort of beg them in a way lol

A sixth form or college that makes a B in maths a condition of taking A level sciences could
1. Accept you onto your choice of A level courses but insist you resit maths, probably in November.
2. Accept you as a student but not allow you to take all of the science subjects you want and require you to make other choices. This could be other A levels or level 3 BTEC..
3. Accept you to study maths GCSE and other level 2 courses for a year, especially if your other GCSE results are disappointing
4. Decline your application for a place if they don't think you are a suitable student
It's up to them. Only they can tell what they will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
A sixth form is not the same as a college. Sixth forms don't have to support your resit, so if that is the case for you, you'd have to sit the exam as a private candidate which means that the school would have no affiliation with your examination. If your school does allow resits (with their support) then sure you can resit maths in November. But let's think positively, and hope that you got the grade that you need.
sixth form are not flexable with their courses and entry requirements. thats the problem. I emailed them and they clearly said they are not flexible but im going to try and sort of beg them in a way lol

Yeah, just try and if need be speak to your/the individual teachers.

Sometimes, they are biased, if they like you, they might let you on.

It does not hurt trying.
Yes, you're allowed to do resits.

If you get a D, they'll put you in a class so you'll have GCSE math timetabled.

However, if you get a C, you'll just have to pay for it (unless your college is kind enough to pay for you) and do the exam having revised yourself. There might be some lunch revision classes that you can go to but it'll all be down to you.

Anyway, good luck for Thursday. I hope you get a B and dont have to go through all that:biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by gdunne42
A sixth form or college that makes a B in maths a condition of taking A level sciences could
1. Accept you onto your choice of A level courses but insist you resit maths, probably in November.
2. Accept you as a student but not allow you to take all of the science subjects you want and require you to make other choices. This could be other A levels or level 3 BTEC..
3. Accept you to study maths GCSE and other level 2 courses for a year, especially if your other GCSE results are disappointing
4. Decline your application for a place if they don't think you are a suitable student
It's up to them. Only they can tell what they will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that! I'm defo getting a C however hopefully I wil get a B which is what I need!
Reply 12
Original post by Punkrockfan
Yes, you're allowed to do resits.

If you get a D, they'll put you in a class so you'll have GCSE math timetabled.

However, if you get a C, you'll just have to pay for it (unless your college is kind enough to pay for you) and do the exam having revised yourself. There might be some lunch revision classes that you can go to but it'll all be down to you.

Anyway, good luck for Thursday. I hope you get a B and dont have to go through all that:biggrin:

Does sixth form make students pay to do resits?
Reply 13
Original post by Vyres
A sixth form is not the same as a college. Sixth forms don't have to support your resit, so if that is the case for you, you'd have to sit the exam as a private candidate which means that the school would have no affiliation with your examination. If your school does allow resits (with their support) then sure you can resit maths in November. But let's think positively, and hope that you got the grade that you need.

Thanks for that! :smile:
Reply 14
You'll be allowed to do resits at Sixth Form, yes. If you got a B you'd probably need to converse with the head of sixth form and see what they think, although they'd probably let you. You would be doing the November retake yes, but just remember that Maths GCSE lessons will be incorporated into your timetable in addition to your A-level choices. You wouldn't have anymore than probably one or two lessons of Maths a week (assuming you're on a two-week timetable), but if you're on a one-week timetable you'd probably have one or two hours a week.
Reply 15
Original post by L0st45
You'll be allowed to do resits at Sixth Form, yes. If you got a B you'd probably need to converse with the head of sixth form and see what they think, although they'd probably let you. You would be doing the November retake yes, but just remember that Maths GCSE lessons will be incorporated into your timetable in addition to your A-level choices. You wouldn't have anymore than probably one or two lessons of Maths a week (assuming you're on a two-week timetable), but if you're on a one-week timetable you'd probably have one or two hours a week.

Thanks for the reply! :smile: I dont know if i mentioned this but i need a B in order to do science A Level. Hopefully I will get a B however if i dont you said i am going to be allowed to take a resit for maths. In the meantime will i be doing the science a levels courses to? im confused because i need a b but if i dont get it will i still be allowed to take the course if i take a resit.
Does sixth form make students pay to do resits?

If you didn't fail ye. Mine did so I'm assuming most do.
Reply 17
Original post by Punkrockfan
If you didn't fail ye. Mine did so I'm assuming most do.

Do you know how much?
Reply 18
Thanks for the reply! :smile: I dont know if i mentioned this but i need a B in order to do science A Level. Hopefully I will get a B however if i dont you said i am going to be allowed to take a resit for maths. In the meantime will i be doing the science a levels courses to? im confused because i need a b but if i dont get it will i still be allowed to take the course if i take a resit.

In our sixth form, a student achieved an A grade in her Maths GCSE, but our sixth form let her retake to try and get an A*, so I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed, especially as you need a grade B minimum for your science based courses. If you don't get a B grade, then it really depends on what your teachers for your subjects think. Maybe you just had an off-day? When you find out your result, if your maths grade isn't what you thought it would be, I'd get in touch with the sixth form as soon as possible (on the same day you get your results even) and discuss with them what they think is best.

Sometimes, if you don't achieve the B grade you are still accepted on the course. Just keep in mind that the new A-level Biology and Chemistry contain 10-20% more maths than they did before. The maths content isn't that difficult, but there are more marks available now for maths than there was before. It may be that you'll be on probation on biology and chemistry, so they'll give you a chance on the course whilst you're studying for your GCSE maths retake, and then depending on what grade you achieve in the retake, they'll decide whether you're suited for the course or not, if that makes sense?
Reply 19
Original post by L0st45
In our sixth form, a student achieved an A grade in her Maths GCSE, but our sixth form let her retake to try and get an A*, so I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed, especially as you need a grade B minimum for your science based courses. If you don't get a B grade, then it really depends on what your teachers for your subjects think. Maybe you just had an off-day? When you find out your result, if your maths grade isn't what you thought it would be, I'd get in touch with the sixth form as soon as possible (on the same day you get your results even) and discuss with them what they think is best.

Sometimes, if you don't achieve the B grade you are still accepted on the course. Just keep in mind that the new A-level Biology and Chemistry contain 10-20% more maths than they did before. The maths content isn't that difficult, but there are more marks available now for maths than there was before. It may be that you'll be on probation on biology and chemistry, so they'll give you a chance on the course whilst you're studying for your GCSE maths retake, and then depending on what grade you achieve in the retake, they'll decide whether you're suited for the course or not, if that makes sense?

Thank you! You've made me less worried now considering all the options I have! Do you work for sixth form by any chance? I'm going to be going to Luton Sixth form. I believe I am going to be getting a high C however I need a B. Also do you know how much the fee is for resits?
Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest