The Student Room Group

Biggest academic achievements?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A* 583/600 in maths A level, year 12 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Probably silver medal in British Biology Olympiad. I haven't really achieved anything that noteworthy academically, or come to think of it ever.
Original post by teenpolyglot
obtaining an academic scholarship into a private school after being "informally expelled" from the previous school.
Oh, and being the only candidate in my school ever to sit gcse latin, gcse french and as french in the same year. [i was the only one to sit latin altogether, and i did my as french early].

thats amazing, i am literally in tears
Original post by RDKGames
Let's hear some, having a boring night :h: They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction. :smile:

Damn, that's amazing. Although, how did you only get a B in further when you got an A* in regular? People usually get the same grade, or just one below.
Getting 98% UMS in AS Chemistry, or getting an A* in GCSE Maths in Y10.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Damn, that's amazing. Although, how did you only get a B in further when you got an A* in regular? People usually get the same grade, or just one below.

Thanks aha. I simply personally found FM maths to be quite bad for me this year. FP2 was fairly annoying with integration and induction proof which asked to prove Bernoulli's inequality that tripped me up. M3 was just plain out a disaster of an exam which can be seen from the fact that an A* is 53/75 (that helped me slightly lol), same boundaries just like C3 I believe. FP4 was pretty much the only one I did well in with an A. Just bad luck but I still got into my firm and I'm happy about it. My teacher said that I work on an A*/A standard in FM and most of my past papers reflected this so I'm not too fussed about the grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably self-teaching further maths AS.

I doubted myself this year so much and considered dropping it so many times, because I was so behind on learning the content (I only finished FP1 a month before the exam... and I wouldn't really class it as finished when I did so few practice questions). It was the cause of so much anxiety and I was afraid that I wasn't good enough to study physics at my dream uni. Then I just worked my socks off and came out with a 92 UMS average in my self-taught modules :biggrin: Dreams do come true, kids
LOL.

You just sat your GCSE's.

smh.
Original post by RDKGames
Let's hear some, having a boring night :h: They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction. :smile:

For GCSE maths I scraped a C and now I have an A in A level maths :biggrin:.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Getting 98% UMS in AS Chemistry, or getting an A* in GCSE Maths in Y10.

Well done, how did you do so well for the chemistry ISA's ( although I did EMPAS, those were the ones that stopped me from achieving an A*)
Throughout year 12 I was getting Es, Ds and Us in AS chemistry, in the end I got an A in AS And completely shocked my teachers who thought it was a fluke (despite getting 94% UMS average) and wouldn't predict me an A*, ended up getting an A* in A level chemistry (with a 97% UMS average)

So moral of the story kids is don't let rubbish marks in class tests or not having teachers believe in you put you down, work at your own pace and plod along quietly, proving them wrong :tongue:
Reply 51
Getting a first in my degree by far was the most unexpected thing for me.

considering the first 2 years (worth 40%) I achieved an average of 62.5 I needed like 75 in third year for a first overall and ended up getting 81.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Well done, how did you do so well for the chemistry ISA's ( although I did EMPAS, those were the ones that stopped me from achieving an A*)

There are no ISAs for science A Levels anymore. The practical questions are now in the exam papers themselves. I'm actually quite glad of this. ISAs always had really high grade boundaries, so if you ****ed up, you knew you were dead.
I'd like to put my brother's academic achievement...I tutored him for 2 hours a day before his AQA GCSE Drama theory paper last year and he got an A in it. And he was getting D/E/F/G in his mocks and class in theory all the time before that.
I got 99% in a uni maths exam?
Reply 55
Probably my 1 in STEP I even though it was a scrape and it's not that hard. For a while, and particularly after being rejected post traumatic interview for Cambridge and having 2 bronzes in Senior Maths Challenge, I really felt like I wasn't cut out for maths at all, that I was stupid and completely lacking in any ability. So it felt good to do well in something like STEP, and it gave me more confidence with regards to uni maths which has, in spite of my misgivings, gone excellently so far.
Reply 56
Mine's pretty sad...

Going back to education after 12 years out :colondollar:. I did get 88/100 in my Higher Psychology Exam... (I left after 50 minutes into the two hour exam... I think they made a mistake... shhhh!)
Staying awake during history is something I still take pride in, that was a serious challenge.
Not me but my youngest son...

He has complex autism plus other disabilities and because of this we were informed he would never be able to go to into a mainstream high school, never do GCSEs and would struggle to do life skills. He did half days at school until he was 11, finally going full time in the second term of year 6 but even then, his attendance was well below the average due to hospital stays etc. He spent his year 6 SATS under the desk completely unable to cope.

He is now 18, he did go to a main stream high school, albeit with a very high level of support, he did GCSEs passing most of them (although narrowly missed passing maths). He then moved to college where he repeated a year of GCSEs, gaining his maths pass and picking up a further two GCSEs at A* A. Fast forward to now, he is a triple A* student, top of his year group and looking at going to university next September.

His attendance is still not great, he tires easily but he is a stubborn and very determined young man.

For me - Doing well enough in my first year of my law degree via open university whilst juggling children (2 x differing needs and all that entails....all night assignments anyone!) to progress onto the second year. Alas it stopped after that because the needs of the children increased and even doing the study overnight became impossible.
Original post by Crazysue1
Not me but my youngest son...

He has complex autism plus other disabilities and because of this we were informed he would never be able to go to into a mainstream high school, never do GCSEs and would struggle to do life skills. He did half days at school until he was 11, finally going full time in the second term of year 6 but even then, his attendance was well below the average due to hospital stays etc. He spent his year 6 SATS under the desk completely unable to cope.

He is now 18, he did go to a main stream high school, albeit with a very high level of support, he did GCSEs passing most of them (although narrowly missed passing maths). He then moved to college where he repeated a year of GCSEs, gaining his maths pass and picking up a further two GCSEs at A* A. Fast forward to now, he is a triple A* student, top of his year group and looking at going to university next September.

His attendance is still not great, he tires easily but he is a stubborn and very determined young man.

For me - Doing well enough in my first year of my law degree via open university whilst juggling children (2 x differing needs and all that entails....all night assignments anyone!) to progress onto the second year. Alas it stopped after that because the needs of the children increased and even doing the study overnight became impossible.

Degree 2.1

Quick Reply

Latest